Shakespeare

Started by ONeill, April 30, 2015, 09:33:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

Not sure about the Mexican syllabus but up in Alaska here it's compulsory.

What do yiz make of him? A must-read or a bollocks we're force-fed?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: ONeill on April 30, 2015, 09:33:25 PM

I did English until A Level so would be fond enough of Bill's output but can see why wains hate it. The eldest lad is reading Jane Eyre at school and hates it. He can't see why he has to read these old books when there are so many modern books for kids!

Tony Baloney

Quote from: hardstation on April 30, 2015, 09:42:35 PM
They read about The Merchant of Ennis in the south alright.
Aye and King Dunleer.

ONeill

Quote from: Tony Baloney on April 30, 2015, 09:39:58 PM

I did English until A Level so would be fond enough of Bill's output but can see why wains hate it. The eldest lad is reading Jane Eyre at school and hates it. He can't see why he has to read these old books when there are so many modern books for kids!

Would ye read him now during a quiet moment?

Tony Baloney

Quote from: ONeill on April 30, 2015, 09:52:11 PM

I have actually bought some books I read at school, as I'm sure I didn't fully enjoy them as they were an imposition at the time. Death of a Salesman, a book of William Trevor short stories and a Heaney anthology. These are for a Sunday fitting in around good crime thrillers read on the bog the rest of the week  ;D

T Fearon

Enjoyed the plays back in the day! I remember our English teacher accusing a classmate of knowing nothing about twelfth night two weeks before o levels,then asking him who was Sir Andrew,to which my classmate replied "A Gentleman" quoting directly from the character list inside the play book! ;D

On another nostalgic note I see the remake of Far From the Madding Crowd (which we studied for English Lit O Level) is released this weekend.Remember vividly going as a class to see the original in Armagh circa 1974,and every fifth form school in the county was there!

armaghniac

Quote from: hardstation on April 30, 2015, 09:42:35 PM
They read about The Merchant of Ennis in the south alright.

A man rightly fond of Offaly women
In Belmont is a lady richly left;
And she is fair, and, fairer than that word,
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

ONeill

Quote from: Tony Baloney on April 30, 2015, 09:57:49 PM

I have actually bought some books I read at school, as I'm sure I didn't fully enjoy them as they were an imposition at the time. Death of a Salesman, a book of William Trevor short stories and a Heaney anthology. These are for a Sunday fitting in around good crime thrillers read on the bog the rest of the week  ;D

Would you buy a Willie play?

Tony Baloney

Quote from: ONeill on April 30, 2015, 10:36:04 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on April 30, 2015, 09:57:49 PM

Would you buy a Willie play?
FFS O'Neill are you setting up a Shakespeare book shop or something?! Add a poll.

Farrandeelin

I studied Hamlet for the LC. I didn't like it at the time, but I can still remember some of the quotes. If I stumbled upon one in a bookshop, I'd buy it. I wouldn't go out of my way though.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

ballinaman

Quote from: Farrandeelin on April 30, 2015, 10:47:51 PM
I studied Hamlet for the LC. I didn't like it at the time, but I can still remember some of the quotes. If I stumbled upon one in a bookshop, I'd buy it. I wouldn't go out of my way though.
Madness in great ones must not unwatched go  ;)

5 Sams

I'd rather nail my dick to the table than read Shakespeare. On the other hand one of the best books I have ever read was on the A level syllabus. Take a bow Máire. Caisleáin Óir. Nothing complicated. A brilliant story and a great twist at the end. Must be read in Irish though.
The Aristocrat Years

5 Sams

The Aristocrat Years

ONeill

Quote from: 5 Sams on April 30, 2015, 11:01:27 PM
I'd rather nail my dick to the table than read Shakespeare. On the other hand one of the best books I have ever read was on the A level syllabus. Take a bow Máire. Caisleáin Óir. Nothing complicated. A brilliant story and a great twist at the end. Must be read in Irish though.

I remember it had pictures.

TheOptimist

The bit in Ulysses where they discuss Shakespeare, shit wrapped up in shit >:(