The other Referendum

Started by Rossfan, April 30, 2015, 03:52:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maguire01

I'm in two minds on this one. I think 21 is far too young to be President, but think it unlikely that someone that young would secure a nomination nevermind win an election anyway.

Not so sure if it's an "equality" issue as there are plenty of jobs that require X years experience before taking on a senior role.

Esmarelda

Quote from: Maguire01 on May 01, 2015, 03:26:03 PM
I'm in two minds on this one. I think 21 is far too young to be President, but think it unlikely that someone that young would secure a nomination nevermind win an election anyway.

Not so sure if it's an "equality" issue as there are plenty of jobs that require X years experience before taking on a senior role.
If there are, then an 18 year old would still probably be allowed to apply for them with the likely result that he/she would be turned down.

My point was that it's probably more about equality than the "equality" referendum that's grabbing the headlines.

Maguire01

Quote from: Esmarelda on May 01, 2015, 03:39:04 PM

If there are, then an 18 year old would still probably be allowed to apply for them with the likely result that he/she would be turned down.
No, they would be rejected at the outset because they didn't have the required experience, if the job was important enough. They wouldn't get to interview stage.

Esmarelda

Quote from: Maguire01 on May 01, 2015, 04:35:17 PM

No, they would be rejected at the outset because they didn't have the required experience, if the job was important enough. They wouldn't get to interview stage.
Yes, but I assume, in that situation, they'd charge into the interview room, put their balls (or whatever women use to show.........balls) on the table, and prove their worth that way.

Maguire01

Quote from: Esmarelda on May 01, 2015, 05:00:17 PM

Yes, but I assume, in that situation, they'd charge into the interview room, put their balls (or whatever women use to show.........balls) on the table, and prove their worth that way.
So, the equivalent of canvassing when you're not on the ballot paper.

Esmarelda

Quote from: Maguire01 on May 01, 2015, 05:52:57 PM
Quote from: Esmarelda on May 01, 2015, 05:00:17 PM

So, the equivalent of canvassing when you're not on the ballot paper.
Despite the lack of smiley face, I thought my last post was obviously in jest. You make a valid point. :)

macdanger2

Heard an interesting point on this earlier - in 1916, three of the signatories were under 35, Dev also and of course Collins was only 33 when he died

armaghniac

Quote from: macdanger2 on May 10, 2015, 12:49:55 AM
Heard an interesting point on this earlier - in 1916, three of the signatories were under 35, Dev also and of course Collins was only 33 when he died

Well Collins partitioned the country and Dev started a civil war, so that's hardly a recommendation.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

macdanger2

Quote from: armaghniac on May 10, 2015, 12:51:08 AM

Well Collins partitioned the country and Dev started a civil war, so that's hardly a recommendation.

I think you'll find it was the people of ireland who voted to partition the country and Dev was not in charge of the anti-treaty military during the civil war

armaghniac

Quote from: macdanger2 on May 10, 2015, 01:31:44 AM

I think you'll find it was the people of ireland who voted to partition the country and Dev was not in charge of the anti-treaty military during the civil war

Well Dev clearly decided to ignore the vote of the people of the 26 counties in this respect.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

macdanger2

Quote from: armaghniac on May 10, 2015, 01:36:01 AM
Quote from: macdanger2 on May 10, 2015, 01:31:44 AM

Well Dev clearly decided to ignore the vote of the people of the 26 counties in this respect.

He did. But you need to read up a little more on your history if you think he started the civil war

Regardless, I think any of those 5 men did more before they were 35 than most gaaboarders ever will and would be above average presidential candidates

Maguire01

Still a fair drop down to a 21 year old.

Esmarelda

What age do you have to be to run for the Dáil?

muppet

Quote from: Esmarelda on May 10, 2015, 04:52:36 PM
What age do you have to be to run for the Dáil?

But this referendum is not about age, it is about cats wanting to play golf.
MWWSI 2017

Sidney

Vote NO to President Niall Horan.