The US policing crisis thread

Started by Eamonnca1, April 28, 2015, 07:10:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

whitey

Quote from: easytiger95 on November 13, 2015, 06:21:27 PM
Well as a white person whitey, i lived in a fairly rundown area in Worcester Mass for a little under a year - there was an actual crack house two doors up, myself and my two mates plus another family in an apartment down the block were the only white faces in that community, and we came and went into our apartment for months with no hassle from the surrounding people, and  we got to be on speaking terms with a lot of our neigbours - just nods, "hellos" and "how's it goings". Now, bear in mind, we were all 20/21, working really hard and drinking like fish - some nights we stumbled home from Millbury Street and the dive bars and I've no idea how we made it, and to the locals, we were just the crazy Irish guys. I can honestly say that i never felt one instance of fear or apprehension whilst living there.

Now Worcester may not be New York, but it is the second biggest city in New England after Boston, at the time (96/97) it was still mired in recession, and even at the best of times Worcester was a kip - and we lived in the worst part of it (don't even ask why we were there).

And for the final irony, the only scrap I ever got into over there was with a bunch of college football players from Holycross, who were an absolute bunch of dicks (and were all white, and claimed to be Irish American!)

I'm laughing about your Holy Cross story because I know a couple of guys who played football there. Like the conversation we had about the Yale frat members earlier this week....these guys are fvckin assholes to everyone

I know Worcester very well and am up there at least twice a month and my wife grew up a couple of towns over. I typically hang with the lace curtain Irish up in O Connors on W Boylston St.

You are correct.......Worcester is a $hithole.....but a "no go area" it is not!!!!

Just to give you some perspective:  Worcester has a violent crime rate of 9.88 per 1000 residents

http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/blog/bbj_research_alert/2012/12/is-provincetown-really-the-murder.html

The worst neighborhood in the country is in Baltimore.....it has a violent crime rate of 93.79

http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/neighborhoods/crime-rates/25-most-dangerous-neighborhoods/

The places on that top 25 list are the places you wouldn't go day or night by foot or in a car. You'd be very lucky to make it out unscathed

easytiger95

It was a different time when i was there Whitey - you're talking mid 90s and it was a terrible hole. So I wouldn't mind those stats. I took a little walk down memory lane there and did a bit of reseach and downtown has certainly become more gentrified in the last 10 years - they are really playing up the 30,000 students- although I went on street view there and Clapp Street (if you can believe the name, where we had our apartment) is still an awful kip.

Certainly, when I was there we were warned about staying out of Piedmont Street and the environs - but I was working with a painting crew that got a lot of municipal contracts which meant we were painting community centres, drug treatment clinics, secure hospitals, DUI clinics etc all around these areas, and again, we never got any hassle from anyone there, it was always the college kids slumming it in Stony O'Briens who were the assholes.

You know you don't have to be in a big city to be in a no go area - I remember a mate who lived in Salem telling me that Newton was an absolute war zone at the time.

I laughed when you mentioned O'Connor's - that was were you took a date to impress them (if you were lucky enough to get one). Otherwise we were hanging out under the big luminous Leprechaun's hat in the Emerald Isle. Good Jaysis, we had some good times, despite the location.

We actually painted St. Pauls Cathedral down on Chatham Street, just round the corner from Worcester Common. All our names are still up there in the eaves, along with a gold leaf shamrock our boss insisted on leaving up there.

whitey

Don't believe me if you dont want to, but Worcester was never in the same league as places such as Baltimore or Chicago when it came to crime

And Newton is one of the wealthiest towns in  Masaachusetts. Whoever was telling you that must have been off their medication at the time.   Maybe you've got switched it around in your head and a guy from Newton told you that Salem is dangerous.

2 of my clients sons worked as busboys up in O Connors....I heard some great stories about working there.

..Brendan is a real character.  He was coaching St Johns soccer team one year and a player got sent off for using bad language.  At half time Brendan flipped the lid and supposedly was roaring "that there better be no fvckin bad language used on anyone on his team". Seemingly it was secretly recorded too.

There's another bar, north of downtown and whether you pass at 9 am or 9 pm there a bunch of dodgy looking characters outside smoking. Maybe that's one of the spots you used to go into

easytiger95

I'm not saying I don't believe you - I'm telling you (as I did above) that I know Worcester was not New York. But it is the biggest city in New England bar Boston, at the time it was suffering from a desperate recession and drug problem (Piedmont Street had HIV epidemic signs posted on the lamposts, there were shooting gallerys and crack houses all through downtown) and i and my mates ended up living in the middle of it. As you know Whitey, it is a long way from Millbury Street to West Boylston.

As for Newton, I may have got the wrong town there. It was some place you passed through on the greyhound on the way to Salem (which wasn't too bad, he was living in the touristy part)

Oh yeah, if there was dodgy characters outside, we were there. And three more innocent young fellas you never met in your life. Worcester opened our eyes, let me tell you.

I always promised myself I'd do a drive through New England and go through Worcester again. I might be doing it next summer. Hopefully we can meet in O'Connors over a few pints (no politics or religion though Whitey!)

whitey

Quote from: easytiger95 on November 14, 2015, 12:54:27 AM
I'm not saying I don't believe you - I'm telling you (as I did above) that I know Worcester was not New York. But it is the biggest city in New England bar Boston, at the time it was suffering from a desperate recession and drug problem (Piedmont Street had HIV epidemic signs posted on the lamposts, there were shooting gallerys and crack houses all through downtown) and i and my mates ended up living in the middle of it. As you know Whitey, it is a long way from Millbury Street to West Boylston.

As for Newton, I may have got the wrong town there. It was some place you passed through on the greyhound on the way to Salem (which wasn't too bad, he was living in the touristy part)

Oh yeah, if there was dodgy characters outside, we were there. And three more innocent young fellas you never met in your life. Worcester opened our eyes, let me tell you.

I always promised myself I'd do a drive through New England and go through Worcester again. I might be doing it next summer. Hopefully we can meet in O'Connors over a few pints (no politics or religion though Whitey!)

Your buddy was talking about Chelsea.  Its just North of Boston. It always was and always be a dump.  Theres was a strip club up there and I lost count on how many people got knifed or shot in there. And it had a motel attached to it too...so you can draw your own conclusions as to what used to go on in there.  Happy to say I only went there once

Let me know if your coming out...I have tons of friends who have very different opinions to me, but were all well read and travelled so we respect each others opinions.  You dont learn anything hanging out with people who agree with everything you believe in

muppet

Quote from: whitey on November 13, 2015, 09:39:44 AM
Quote from: muppet on November 13, 2015, 08:27:42 AM
Quote from: whitey on November 12, 2015, 11:05:26 PM
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=db1_1427671392

Heres a video from earlier in the night.....the one at the bottom of the page

Cop got shot in the face protecting THEIR neighborhood from a dangerous and violent felon and this is how they react.  Absolute fvckin disgrace

BTW this WAS on youtube but got pulled because once agin it shows what a shower of complete cvnts some of these people are

It sure does. Anyone who supports the first amendment is supporting the right of these 'cvnts' to have easy access to guns.

BTW the cop stopped him 'During a traffic stop' so do't overplay the 'protecting THEIR neighborhood from a dangerous and violent felon' bullshit. There is no need for it.

That said, the cop was just doing his job didn't deserve what happened to him. Hopefully he recovers.

That is a disgraceful comment....it was not a random "traffic stop" as you so smugly describe it....they were responding to a shooting in a minority neighborhood at the time.  6 members of a gang unit do not pull you over in a "traffic stop".  They absolsolutely were putting their lives on the line stopping known gang members immediately after a shooting

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2015/05/30/wounded-boston-police-officer-john-moynihan-says-road-recovery/MJZIPMEIuWXdueGFrG0VHL/story.html

"A clergymen and anti-violence leader, the Rev. Mark Scott of the Azusa Christian Community, said he is praying for Moynihan and his family, and for a neighborhood that has been plagued by violence.

"There is much work that people have done with the police that has made our community a lot safer," he said."

YOU provided the link and YOUR link said: "During a traffic stop". I was quoting from YOUR link! You might have at least read it.

Now apologise for your spectacular stupidity good lad.  :D
MWWSI 2017

whitey

Quote from: muppet on November 14, 2015, 02:40:26 PM

Cop got shot in the face protecting THEIR neighborhood from a dangerous and violent felon and this is how they react.  Absolute fvckin disgrace

BTW this WAS on youtube but got pulled because once agin it shows what a shower of complete cvnts some of these people are

It sure does. Anyone who supports the first amendment is supporting the right of these 'cvnts' to have easy access to guns.

BTW the cop stopped him 'During a traffic stop' so do't overplay the 'protecting THEIR neighborhood from a dangerous and violent felon' bullshit. There is no need for it.

That said, the cop was just doing his job didn't deserve what happened to him. Hopefully he recovers.

That is a disgraceful comment....it was not a random "traffic stop" as you so smugly describe it....they were responding to a shooting in a minority neighborhood at the time.  6 members of a gang unit do not pull you over in a "traffic stop".  They absolsolutely were putting their lives on the line stopping known gang members immediately after a shooting

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2015/05/30/wounded-boston-police-officer-john-moynihan-says-road-recovery/MJZIPMEIuWXdueGFrG0VHL/story.html

"A clergymen and anti-violence leader, the Rev. Mark Scott of the Azusa Christian Community, said he is praying for Moynihan and his family, and for a neighborhood that has been plagued by violence.

"There is much work that people have done with the police that has made our community a lot safer," he said."

YOU provided the link and YOUR link said: "During a traffic stop". I was quoting from YOUR link! You might have at least read it.

Never can admit your wrong Muppett can you-LOL

RE READ THE QUOTE FROM THE MINISTER

See you're just reinforcing what I've been saying all along....skimming the headlines from 3000 miles away and getting on your high horse without knowing the details.

muppet

Quote from: whitey on November 14, 2015, 05:22:43 PM
Quote from: muppet on November 14, 2015, 02:40:26 PM

Never can admit your wrong Muppett can you-LOL

RE READ THE QUOTE FROM THE MINISTER

See you're just reinforcing what I've been saying all along....skimming the headlines from 3000 miles away and getting on your high horse without knowing the details.

You are making a fool of yourself now.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Here is the link YOU posted and to which I responded: http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=db1_1427671392

Here is the entire article with the bit I quoted, verbatim, in bold:

Once again, we are reminded how tragically ineffective gun laws are in preventing criminals from obtaining and using them in purely evil acts. In this particular situation, we are also shown how very little actual facts matter to certain people who deliberately refuse to acknowledge any aspect of an incident other than race.

A highly decorated Boston Police Officer and former Army Ranger was shot in the face Friday night, by a perpetrator who the "law" states should not have been in possession of a firearm. During a traffic stop, Officer John Moynihan was approaching the vehicle when the driver got out of his car, pulled a gun, and shot the officer point-blank in the face. The suspect, 41-year-old Angelo West, then started running as he fired several more shots at other officers on the scene.According to CNN, Police Commissioner William Evans stated that West emptied the .357 Magnum he was carrying in the shoot-out, during which time he was effectively neutralized after he was struck with rounds fired by the other officers and killed on the scene.
Evans stated that West had several previous gun related convictions. The two other passengers in the vehicle were arrested on unrelated charges involving a warrant and a probation violation.

One unidentified woman who was in the vicinity was struck in the arm by a stray bullet and suffered a flesh wound but is expected to be alright.

Officer Moynihan was not so lucky. Although he is still alive at the time of this article, he is in a medically induced coma and listed in critical condition at Boston Medical Center. The bullet that struck him in the face, entered his skull just under his right eye and became lodged near the back of his head behind his right ear.

Infuriating footage of an impromptu protest following the incident has been uploaded to YouTube. Dozens of people gathered together in order to verbally harass police officers for the slaying of the cop-shooter, Angelo West.

At several points in the video there can be heard abrasive comments, insults, and accusations being hurled at the officers who were trying to maintain a perimeter. One woman in particular is heard repeatedly saying, "Everyone put your hands up," in an obvious attempt to stir up the crowd by referencing the Michael Brown incident, in which another black man was also justifiably shot and killed for attacking a police officer.

Although it was dark and the visual clarity leaves something to be desired, the audio is clear and documents the animalistic intent of the crowd in their attempt to incite a physical confrontation with police officers.

What the hell is wrong with these people? A person, whose job is to protect and serve the citizens of the city, is shot in the face by a disgustingly violent thug — his life is now hanging in the balance — and all they care about is that a black man was shot and killed by cops.

Instead of showing up to harass officers, these asshats should have been standing there in quiet reverence, praying for the officer while holding candles and leaving flowers to show their gratitude and respect for the man who was brutally attacked while trying to make their neighborhood a little safer. They should be thanking the cops that took out a vicious and dangerous perpetrator, because in doing so, they likely saved any number of innocent people in their area from eventually becoming victims at his hands.
MWWSI 2017

muppet

MWWSI 2017

whitey

muppet

Quote from: whitey on November 14, 2015, 05:33:00 PM
Quote from: muppet on November 14, 2015, 05:30:42 PM
Oh and I'll take that apology.  ;)

Blah blah blah...

B-b-b-b-but didn't you accuse me this: "Never can admit your wrong Muppett can you-LOL?"  ;D ;D

Surely you are not a hypocrite as well as unable to read your own posts and links?  ;D ;D ;D

Now man up and admit that in your haste to stick the boot into me, you f*cked it up royally.  :D

And then I'll move on.
MWWSI 2017

whitey

Quote from: muppet on November 14, 2015, 05:36:24 PM

Blah blah blah...

B-b-b-b-but didn't you accuse me this: "Never can admit your wrong Muppett can you-LOL?"  ;D ;D

Surely you are not a hypocrite as well as unable to read your own posts and links?  ;D ;D ;D

Now man up and admit that in your haste to stick the boot into me, you f*cked it up royally.  :D

And then I'll move on.

Blah ball blah

muppet

Quote from: whitey on November 14, 2015, 05:46:47 PM

Blah blah blah...

And then I'll move on.

Blah ball blah

It isn't quite Cicero, but it is distinctly less embarrassing than your recent efforts.  ;D ;D ;D
MWWSI 2017

whitey

Quote from: muppet on November 14, 2015, 05:51:48 PM
Quote from: whitey on November 14, 2015, 05:46:47 PM

Blah blah blah...

And then I'll move on.

Blah ball blah

t isn't quite Cicero, but it is distinctly less embarrassing than your recent efforts.  ;D ;D ;D

Blah blah blah

Eamonnca1

Quote from: foxcommander on November 13, 2015, 04:12:06 PM
Stop trying to get Eamonnca1 off the hook. I've been saying the streets aren't safe, he thinks it's like sesame street in his big multi-cultural wonderland.

What are you waffling about now? Where did I say there's no such thing as unsafe streets?