Kildare v Roscommon

Started by Ohtoohtobe, March 13, 2015, 02:35:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ohtoohtobe

Thought the clash of the 1928 and 1944 All-Ireland champions deserved its own thread.

What's the prognosis?

I won't poor mouth it, I would have fancied us to win had Niall Kelly been starting. Without him, I'd rate our chances 50-50 at best.

Roscommon have the better underage pedigree and net immigration of footballers from Australia, something we can only dream of...

seafoid

Quote from: Ohtoohtobe on March 13, 2015, 02:35:13 AM
Thought the clash of the 1928 and 1944 All-Ireland champions deserved its own thread.

What's the prognosis?

I won't poor mouth it, I would have fancied us to win had Niall Kelly been starting. Without him, I'd rate our chances 50-50 at best.

Roscommon have the better underage pedigree and net immigration of footballers from Australia, something we can only dream of...
Kildare are at home so should be favourites. A huge match for Ros given the 3 to follow .

Syferus

Probably the toughest of our remaining games. Would be a bonus to get points here.

seafoid

Quote from: Syferus on March 13, 2015, 08:35:21 AM
Probably the toughest of our remainingg games. Would be a bonus to get points here.
Possibly the easiest, Syf. Kildare lost their first 3. Self esteem issues
They will desperate for points now but I'd say Meath etc are more organised .

Syferus

Galway and Meath at home and Westmeath a stone's throw away in Mullingar sound a lot nicer than a Kildare team fighting for survival. I don't see Kildare as bring significantly worse overall than any of those teams.

Donnellys Hollow

I heard that Roscommon's midfield really struggled in Portlaoise. Our own midfield hasn't been anything to write home about for a while now. We don't have enough ball winners around the middle and are heavily reliant on the short kickout as a result. If Roscommon put pressure on Donnellan we will find it hard to win enough ball and it's easier to push up on the opposition kickout on a tight pitch like Newbridge.

I'd agree re Niall Kelly's involvement. His movement, decision making and accuracy is on a different planet to the rest of our inside forwards. We're very one paced inside when he's not there. If he's unavailable then we need Smith starting to give the attack a bit of spark.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

seafoid

Quote from: Syferus on March 13, 2015, 10:08:08 AM
Galway and Meath at home and Westmeath a stone's throw away in Mullingar sound a lot nicer than a Kildare team fighting for survival. I don't see Kildare as bring significantly worse overall than any of those teams.
the corofin lads will be back for the Ros match,  Syf  ;)

Ohtoohtobe

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on March 13, 2015, 10:39:36 AM
I'd agree re Niall Kelly's involvement. His movement, decision making and accuracy is on a different planet to the rest of our inside forwards. We're very one paced inside when he's not there. If he's unavailable then we need Smith starting to give the attack a bit of spark.

I think there's even an argument to be made that staying in Div 2 is more important than beating Meath in U21. In Cavan, Niall won the penalty, scored 0-2 and had a hand in a fair few other scores so I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say we probably would have lost without him. Be hard on the U21s not playing him for the full match but I see Dublin doing something similar with Costello.

Syferus

Quote from: seafoid on March 13, 2015, 10:43:44 AM
Quote from: Syferus on March 13, 2015, 10:08:08 AM
the corofin lads will be back for the Ros match,  Syf  ;)

They'll probably shite their pants at the sight of Brigids players as usual though, Sea.

giveballaghback

Rossies have an u21 game against Sligo on wed night and may rest some of their players, Enda Smyth looked very tired in the Laois match and will definitely be rested, will be a hard game and impossible to call, the Kildare-Cavan was a very disjointed game and Ros were poor against Laois so it depends on who can raise it for sunday, wont be a lot in it, hoping the Rossies might shade it.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Ohtoohtobe on March 13, 2015, 12:26:39 PM
Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on March 13, 2015, 10:39:36 AM

I think there's even an argument to be made that staying in Div 2 is more important than beating Meath in U21. In Cavan, Niall won the penalty, scored 0-2 and had a hand in a fair few other scores so I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say we probably would have lost without him. Be hard on the U21s not playing him for the full match but I see Dublin doing something similar with Costello.

Definitely. He kept us in it against that breeze. He was double marked after he won the penalty which gave more freedom to Leper and Dowling.

Syferus

I'd be very surprised if Evans rests anyone because of an U21 match.

Rossfan

He might be dropping one of them but he won't be resting them.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Donnellys Hollow

Fogarty for Kelly the only change on the Kildare team.

giveballaghback

Headin for newbridge shortly from west roscommon, wife giving out to me for leaving her on mothers day even though I delivered the card and the flowers, the things we do for Rossie football.