Mc Rory Cup Book.Quiz

Started by T Fearon, December 07, 2014, 08:25:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rawhide

Quote from: 5 Sams on December 09, 2014, 11:31:02 AM
Quote from: Don Johnson on December 09, 2014, 10:44:14 AM
What happened in 1982?

Maghera captain Martin Tully was sent off in the semi final and got a one match ban. Maghera however played him in the final and as a result they were disqualified despite having won the game and the Abbey were awarded the cup. Cue appeals to Central Council and all sorts of shenanagans. They ended up being awarded the game in the end.

He got a one match ban from the Ulster colleges, St pats appealed it to Croke Park prior to the final, who told the Ulster colleges to stop making up rules that are not in the official Gaa guide, therefore making him eligible to play, all subsequent appeals and counter appeals all supported St Pats and Croke Park position.

Really what it smacked of was a new school on the block, not exclusively grammar being looked down from the snobs in the Ulster Colleges elite. They they get some sickener over the next twenty years lol.
cccc is a true supporter lol

naka

balls rawhide
tully got sent off and maghera were told not to play him in the final
they did

5 Sams

Quote from: Rawhide on December 09, 2014, 12:04:34 PM
What happened in 1982?

Maghera captain Martin Tully was sent off in the semi final and got a one match ban. Maghera however played him in the final and as a result they were disqualified despite having won the game and the Abbey were awarded the cup. Cue appeals to Central Council and all sorts of shenanagans. They ended up being awarded the game in the end.

He got a one match ban from the Ulster colleges, St pats appealed it to Croke Park prior to the final, who told the Ulster colleges to stop making up rules that are not in the official Gaa guide, therefore making him eligible to play, all subsequent appeals and counter appeals all supported St Pats and Croke Park position.

Really what it smacked of was a new school on the block, not exclusively grammar being looked down from the snobs in the Ulster Colleges elite. They they get some sickener over the next twenty years lol.

Just a thought....a player gets sent off, straight red, or whatever it was in the past....he is suspended for the next game or worse. Yes or no? Was it ever any different? Why would it be different for Maghera??
The Aristocrat Years

Rawhide

Quote from: naka on December 09, 2014, 12:53:42 PM
balls rawhide
they did

Read the book, in my first paragraph it is facts. The chapter on Maghera spells it out.

5Sams, Croke park obviously didn't see as simply as you do.  Have you read the book, it presents the facts, St Pats didn't bend the rules, how could they,Ulster colleges used a rule that was not in the offical guide to try and suspend him, and duely got their ass' whipped. It's unfortunate that the Abbey was the sandwich in the middle, but they had the same chance as St Pats on the day to win it, and came up short. St Pats won it on the pitch and the board room as they say.

5 Sams

Quote from: Rawhide on December 09, 2014, 01:10:08 PM
Quote from: naka on December 09, 2014, 12:53:42 PM
balls rawhide
they did

Read the book, in my first paragraph it is facts. The chapter on Maghera spells it out.

5Sams, Croke park obviously didn't see as simply as you do.  Have you read the book, it presents the facts, St Pats didn't bend the rules, how could they,Ulster colleges used a rule that was not in the offical guide to try and suspend him, and duely got their ass' whipped. It's unfortunate that the Abbey was the sandwich in the middle, but they had the same chance as St Pats on the day to win it, and came up short. St Pats won it on the pitch and the board room as they say.

No need for the insults Rawhide. I just asked you a simple question. Are you telling me there was no rule in the official guide in 1982 laying down the suspension for a straight red card? If there wasn't I would be very surprised.
The Aristocrat Years

Rawhide

To make it even more laughable, the Ulster colleges then told St Pats, that the Ulster Colleges were a law unto themselves and could make up whatever rules they wanted and apply them, but call it Gaelic fooball, so in that spirit they declared St Pats wouldn't represent Ulster in the Hogan semifinal, but guess what, St Pats went back to Croke Park and appealed the Ulster colleges decision, needless to say it did not take a brain surgeon to figure out what the answer was going to be...St Pats in the Hogan semi. Boy dis Ulster  colleges take it bad getting sent back up the road with their tails between their legs twice in a few weeks, all because they wanted a rule book all of their own rules, you couldn't make it up.

Rawhide

5sams, wher did I insult you?

5 Sams

Quote from: Rawhide on December 09, 2014, 01:21:42 PM

Before you edited your post....do you think I'm stupid?
The Aristocrat Years

Rawhide

Quote from: 5 Sams on December 09, 2014, 01:23:09 PM
Quote from: Rawhide on December 09, 2014, 01:21:42 PM

Before you edited your post....do you think I'm stupid?

That's right because I realised it was not a nice thing to do

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: 5 Sams on December 09, 2014, 01:01:30 PM
Quote from: Rawhide on December 09, 2014, 12:04:34 PM
What happened in 1982?

Just a thought....a player gets sent off, straight red, or whatever it was in the past....he is suspended for the next game or worse. Yes or no? Was it ever any different? Why would it be different for Maghera??

The old rule was simply a time based one.  2 players could be sent off in the same game for the same offence and get a month of a ban.  1 player could miss 3-4 games as a result because of fixtures while the other one could miss no games!!! 

Silver hill

5 SAMs, I can emphathise with you re the defeat itself but not really with the circumstances. Abbey had their chance to 'right the wrong' on the field of play and I can only imagine how vitriolic www val's speech would have been before the game. My point is that would you rather have won the cup by default off the pitch, or played the game with Tully on the field? Better to have played and lost I would have thought? Maybe not

T Fearon

Book makes it clear that Maghera were by far the better team in 82 and the scoreline flattered the losers