Competitions that the GAA Could do without.

Started by From the Bunker, November 02, 2014, 11:09:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farrandeelin

Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Champion The Wonder Horse on November 02, 2014, 08:57:34 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on November 02, 2014, 08:00:45 PM
If International Rules is such rubbish, why does it get such big attendances?

It doesn't. Any attendance are inflated by cheap ticket prices.

IR and Railway Cups otf for starters.

Huh? So if the tickets are cheap (whatever that means) then the attendance isn't really an attendance? The AI hurling final replay was discounted this year. Does that mean it didn't get a big attendance?

Sidney

Quote from: Sea The Stars on November 02, 2014, 07:58:31 PM
In my opinion doing something about the Sigerson and Fitzgibbon Cups could really benefit the Spring calender. This is the time of year the burnout debate reaches it's peak because young players are potentially involved with college, u21 county, senior club, senior county multiplied by two for both codes.

I know the tradition that exists with these competitions but the tradition stems from a time when players could be away from home for several weeks and college football or hurling were a good way to keep playing at a high standard. They are now more of an inconvenience in the calender. Besides college is for education. The amount of colleges offering scholarships to young county players to beef up their Sigerson/Fitzgibbon team is ridiculous. Kind of unfair too that you have these lads getting into courses because of their sporting capabilities as opposed to intelligence.

I don't think the colleges would do away with them but maybe the GAA should try to do something to lessen their importance. Or maybe play them off in November and December.
The Sigerson and Fitzgibbon Cups should be restricted to proper universities - which would mean they would in effect each consist of one annual match between Dublin University and Queen's University, Belfast, unless Oxford and Cambridge wanted to enter teams.

Eamonnca1

Kind of unfair too that you have these lads getting into courses because of their sporting capabilities as opposed to intelligence.

That's how sports scholarships work in the US, but I wasn't aware of such a system in Ireland. My understanding was that students have to qualify to get into college through the normal academic channels, but if they happen to end up on a college GAA team then they might qualify for bursaries from the GAA Higher Education Council. Am I missing something?

Champion The Wonder Horse

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on November 02, 2014, 09:21:47 PM
Quote from: Champion The Wonder Horse on November 02, 2014, 08:57:34 PM

It doesn't. Any attendance are inflated by cheap ticket prices.

IR and Railway Cups otf for starters.

Huh? So if the tickets are cheap (whatever that means) then the attendance isn't really an attendance? The AI hurling final replay was discounted this year. Does that mean it didn't get a big attendance?

How many AI hurling final replay tickets could have been sold at €1 per child, plus free entry for each supervising adult?

IR and Railway Cups otf for starters

Syferus

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on November 02, 2014, 09:28:17 PM
Kind of unfair too that you have these lads getting into courses because of their sporting capabilities as opposed to intelligence.

That's how sports scholarships work in the US, but I wasn't aware of such a system in Ireland. My understanding was that students have to qualify to get into college through the normal academic channels, but if they happen to end up on a college GAA team then they might qualify for bursaries from the GAA Higher Education Council. Am I missing something?

Yup. By and large the players who get scholarships have to meet the entry requirements, same as anyone. They just get a stipend that covers the fees/living costs (at best, and it's rarely enough by itself even at the full-ride end).

There are schemes outside of the CAO to get it (spaces reserved for people form disadvantaged areas etc.) but I don't know if there's any that allow people who are good at sports entry to courses they aren't qualified for academically. Certainly there are courses which allow non-traditional entry but that usually means you've been working in a given field for some time or otherwise have relevant experience to the course.

seafoid

The competition to have the most American razzmatazz after the all Ireland final- bring pack invasions FFS

Hardy

Because popularity does not imply quality. And vicey ricey.

muppet

Quote from: Hardy on November 03, 2014, 11:32:24 AM

What!??

Surely the X Factor debunks this crazy claim?
MWWSI 2017

johnneycool

Quote from: muppet on November 03, 2014, 11:38:45 AM

What!??

And so does McDonalds, fantastic food that it is.

Hardy

Not Strictly speaking.
Quote from: muppet on November 03, 2014, 11:38:45 AM

What!??

Not Strictly speaking.

take_yer_points

Quote from: Syferus on November 02, 2014, 09:52:54 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on November 02, 2014, 09:28:17 PM

Yup. By and large the players who get scholarships have to meet the entry requirements, same as anyone. They just get a stipend that covers the fees/living costs (at best, and it's rarely enough by itself even at the full-ride end).

There are schemes outside of the CAO to get it (spaces reserved for people form disadvantaged areas etc.) but I don't know if there's any that allow people who are good at sports entry to courses they aren't qualified for academically. Certainly there are courses which allow non-traditional entry but that usually means you've been working in a given field for some time or otherwise have relevant experience to the course.

There's schemes for elite athletes to have their offer from a university lower than the ordinary Joe at undergrad level, but it only gets lowered by around 20 UCAS points which isn't an awful lot (1 grade in a subject). I wonder does this apply to footballers/hurlers.

Not sure what happens at postgrad level but I'd imagine the entry requirements would have to be met

Eamonnca1

Abolish the All-Ireland football championship then.

blanketattack

Farrandeelin

Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.