The Patronising Dublin Fan Thread

Started by Sidney, August 09, 2014, 11:19:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sidney

I thought Monaghan got some lovely scores today. Conor McManus's point that made it 0-3 apiece was as good a score as you'll see all year. Credit to Monaghan's defence who kept it really tight for the first 20 minutes. And in fairness to them, they never gave up in the second half despite the scoreline. Drew Wylie was a picture of determination all through, a warrior, and any team would love to have a player like that.

So I'd just like to say, all credit to the Monaghan team and their supporters, thanks for the game, and best of luck for next year.

Sidney

Forgot to say also that I really enjoyed the first match between Donegal and Armagh. Both teams fought like lions, and it was good to see a genuine contest. We'd be very respectful of Donegal here in the capital, and certainly won't be taking anything for granted for the semi-final - Donegal could well be the first team this year to get within a single figure margin against Dublin.

macdanger2

Hope this comes back to bite you in the arse Sidney. Until then, enjoy it

ONeill

Sidney, what do you make of the Leinster Championship?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

BennyCake

I just hope a team wearing green win Sam this year.

Sidney

Quote from: ONeill on August 10, 2014, 12:10:01 AM
Sidney, what do you make of the Leinster Championship?
It has a great tradition and I'd never denigrate it. People might say that it has become too easy for Dublin but that's certainly not how we'd see it. Each title is as meaningful to us as the last. You never get tired of the feeling. Kildare have made great strides in recent years and of course every match against Meath is always 50-50, that's why their our greatest rivals*.

I've great regard for the work being done in places like Wexford, Westmeath, Laois, Louth and Longford, too. Wexford reached an All-Ireland semi-final in the not too distant past while Westmeath, Laois and Louth won long-awaited Leinster titles, so arguably Leinster football is as strong as it's ever been. There are good footballers in every county, not just Dublin.

Sad to see what's happening in Offaly though. Gaelic football needs a strong Offaly, most of all so we can sing "Fourteen On and Fourteen Off" at their supporters**.

*We always have the height of respect for them, however.

**In a patronising manner.

ONeill

And finally, do you think Croke Park is of an advantage to you as well as the Hill ticket distribution?

Ard-Rí

Ar son Éireann Gaelaí

Sidney

Quote from: ONeill on August 10, 2014, 12:24:24 AM
And finally, do you think Croke Park is of an advantage to you as well as the Hill ticket distribution?
You could certainly argue that, but I suppose if you ask provincial teams themselves, they'll always say they love playing in Croke Park, and we're always glad to be their gracious hosts. Perhaps the best way of looking at it is that Croke Park brings out the best in visiting teams, and that way everybody wins.

And it's always nice for the supporters of those teams to get a day out up in the capital - otherwise they'd just have December the 8th as their sole day out in Dublin for the year.

heffo

Delete this thread and cop onto yourself.  It's not long ago Dublin supporters would've given their arm off a Leinster title and those days will be here again soon

Syferus

Quote from: heffo on August 10, 2014, 01:38:45 AM
Delete this thread and cop onto yourself.  It's not long ago Dublin supporters would've given their arm off a Leinster title and those days will be here again soon

Is that a promise?

ONeill

When?

Sidney

I think the danger here is that Dublin players might log onto this forum, read this thread, and get so overconfident that Donegal end up blitzing them. Could this thread end up costing Dublin the All-Ireland? That's the very real danger, I guess. The INTERNET is serious business, after all. It's a high stakes game I'm playing.

BennyCake

Quote from: Sidney on August 10, 2014, 12:35:42 AM
Quote from: ONeill on August 10, 2014, 12:24:24 AM
You could certainly argue that, but I suppose if you ask provincial teams themselves, they'll always say they love playing in Croke Park, and we're always glad to be their gracious hosts. Perhaps the best way of looking at it is that Croke Park brings out the best in visiting teams, and that way everybody wins.

And it's always nice for the supporters of those teams to get a day out up in the capital - otherwise they'd just have December the 8th as their sole day out in Dublin for the year.

The only reason I go anywhere near Dublin is because Croke Park happens to be there. Otherwise I'd never set foot in the kip.

Sidney

Quote from: BennyCake on August 10, 2014, 01:52:04 AM

The only reason I go anywhere near Dublin is because Croke Park happens to be there. Otherwise I'd never set foot in the kip.
Aw, diddums.