Kerry
16 (27.1%)
Mayo
22 (37.3%)

Total Members Voted: 59

Voting closed: August 23, 2014, 01:44:07 PM

Johnnybegood

Quote from: ck on August 04, 2014, 10:19:23 PM
Not down on Mayo at all. They play Kerry who apparently are the best Kerry minor side in 30 years according to Kerry people I've spoken to. On that basis I don't see Mayo threatening them but who knows. Dublin on the other side should come through on their home pitch against a fine Donegal side but I think they just lack that cutting edge player or two to really do damage.

As an aside, I train our club minor team and we went to Kerry for a trip at Easter and if half what I heard is true no-one will touch Kerry.
how is croke park the home pitch for the Dublin minors ?

nrico2006

Quote from: Johnnybegood on August 05, 2014, 12:01:29 PM
Not down on Mayo at all. They play Kerry who apparently are the best Kerry minor side in 30 years according to Kerry people I've spoken to. On that basis I don't see Mayo threatening them but who knows. Dublin on the other side should come through on their home pitch against a fine Donegal side but I think they just lack that cutting edge player or two to really do damage.

As an aside, I train our club minor team and we went to Kerry for a trip at Easter and if half what I heard is true no-one will touch Kerry.

Maybe because its in Dublin?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

armaghniac

Quote from: nrico2006 on August 05, 2014, 12:33:06 PM

and their homes are in Dublin, or do you have some that do not live in Dublin?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Johnnybegood

Doesn't make it their home pitch as stated,
They've played one match there this year
Their home pitch is Parnell park

INDIANA

Quote from: armaghniac on August 05, 2014, 12:41:03 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on August 05, 2014, 12:33:06 PM

and their homes are in Dublin, or do you have some that do not live in Dublin?

That's a real Rodney Trotter analogy.

Most of the team have played once in Croke Park.

Syferus

Can we not get into semantics? There's not even sight of Dont Matter yet.

nrico2006

If Tyrone were playing in Dungannon they would be at 'home', they would also be 'home' if playing in Omagh.  Are we really arguing over the difference between a home pitch and home venue? 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

ck

Dublin minors will play their remaining games at home. Fact! For the minor age group that is a massive plus. It'll be a massive deal for the other teams to play on Croke, not quite as big for Dublin.

Drummerboy

I wonder if the Donegal lads were asked where they would like to play their semi final game against Dublin, what their answer would be.

Johnnybegood

Quote from: ck on August 05, 2014, 02:04:48 PM
Dublin minors will play their remaining games at home. Fact! For the minor age group that is a massive plus. It'll be a massive deal for the other teams to play on Croke, not quite as big for Dublin.
bullshit

thewobbler

This is nonsense. It's only a home ground if the players are used to the facilities.

Dublin's minor teams are no more or no less exposed to Croke Park than any other minor team in the country, especially now that the Leinster MFC has been detached from the Leinster SFC.

A good parallel would be if Leinster Rugby Schoolboys played Ulster Schoolboys at the Aviva. The match location might be in Leinster, but if none of the Leinster players have stepped out in front of X thousand people at Aviva before, then it's not an advantage.

Rossfan

Quote from: thewobbler on August 06, 2014, 11:40:40 AM
This is nonsense. It's only a home ground if the players are used to the facilities.

Dublin's minor teams are no more or no less exposed to Croke Park than any other minor team in the country, especially now that the Leinster MFC has been detached from the Leinster SFC.

So the Leinster Minor final wasn't played in Croke Park?? :o
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Zulu

For the love of Jesus, are all discussions involving the Dubs now going to be based around people pissing and moaning about Croke Park and money?? Here's an idea, 'Don't Matter' started a thread on the Dubs/money/home advantage, if you have to raise that issue yet again do it on that thread. Let the rest of us discuss the merits of the minor teams as football squads here and on senior match day threads the merits of the two teams involved there.

It looks like we are in for a great finish to the minor championship and it seems Kerry finally have a minor team that could go all the way again. Should be two great semi finals anyway.

Canalman

Quote from: Drummerboy on August 05, 2014, 11:44:55 PM
I wonder if the Donegal lads were asked where they would like to play their semi final game against Dublin, what their answer would be.

Too true. There would be some caterwailing (and rightly so imo) if the semi final was moved to say Tullamore or Cavan.

Anyway from what I hear it is all turkeys squabbling in November stuff as Kerry will win at a canter.

manfromdelmonte

Re: the minor championship

You are really beginning to see the counties with big playing numbers and resources come to the fore in the minor
Dublin (last few years), Mayo (going for two in a row), Kerry, Donegal.

When was the last time the likes of Westmeath, Laois, Longford come through?