Monaghan v Tyrone - Sunday 15th June - St Tiernach's Park Clones

Started by GrandMasterFlash, May 25, 2014, 12:23:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyHarp

Quote from: orangeman on June 12, 2014, 11:53:00 AM
The round of club championship etc seems to have taken a fair toll on the availability of the Tyrone team and panel. There's a lot of big injuries and a lot of players carrying knocks that won't be healed before Sunday's big game.

I'd say play the youngsters, give them a championship match against a top team and concentrate on rebuilding through the back door. When is the Louth game likely to be? Are we away again? 
That was never a square ball!!

Schkite

Quote from: nrico2006 on June 12, 2014, 11:45:46 AM
Quote from: Main Street on June 12, 2014, 11:17:36 AM
Quote from: GrandMasterFlash on June 12, 2014, 12:57:48 AM
http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/determined-conor-mcmanus-goes-distance-to-take-on-tyrone-30344717.html

I honestly don't understand how Mickey Harte thinks Conor is gonna play...

That indo article states
'Not since the Ulster final in 1988 have Monaghan beaten Tyrone at senior championship level and in the intervening 26 years they have lost all four matches to them.'

I'm glad that 4th round qualifier at croke park doesn't rate as worthy to be included in the stats.
It's only 4-0 since 1988.

Off the top of my head, Tyrone have played Monaghan in 2005, 2007, 2010, 2011 and 2013.  How many Monaghan players have played in every game?

Also off the top of my head; Vinny, Lennon, Dick, Finlay and Gollogly would have been there all those years, can't remember if all played every game though. Dessie would've been there every game apart from 2005 because of a dispute with Banty as far as I can remember, he along with Vinny, Finlay and Gollogly had the misfortune to lose ulster finals to Tyrone at minor, u-21 and senior level. Them boys are seriously overdue a win.

orangeman

Quote from: BennyHarp on June 12, 2014, 11:57:58 AM
Quote from: orangeman on June 12, 2014, 11:53:00 AM
The round of club championship etc seems to have taken a fair toll on the availability of the Tyrone team and panel. There's a lot of big injuries and a lot of players carrying knocks that won't be healed before Sunday's big game.

I'd say play the youngsters, give them a championship match against a top team and concentrate on rebuilding through the back door. When is the Louth game likely to be? Are we away again?

Louth are at home yes.

Tyrone might well have no option but to play a pile of young lads on Sunday.

Fuzzman

When I was in Croker last Sunday I was really looking forward to this match this weekend but now I'm kinda dreading it tbh. We could get a hiding if they can walk through and score goals.
Coney can be very hit or miss and doesn't like the rough it up type of defenders as he far too often comes out looking in his wing mirrors at who's gonna clatter him. I could even see Mickey drop him.
Maybe he'll play big Joey in FF and shock us all. I'd be all on for that one.

From the Belfast Tele

Ciaran McGinley never contemplated making the headlines as an ace marksman when he was initially drafted into the Tyrone defence by manager Mickey Harte.

But when the Errigal Ciaran clubman cracked home two goals and added a point for good measure in the recent Ulster Championship quarter-final replay against Down, manager Mickey Harte was presented with a welcome selection option.

McGinley had been feeling his way at half-back before he was suddenly switched into the half-forward line and it was from there that he tortured the Mourne defence at Pairc Esler, Newry.

Now with the scoring bit firmly between his teeth, McGinley is anxious to put more scores on the board against Monaghan in Sunday's semi-final at Clones.

A rangy work-horse, he atones for a lack of finesse by bringing boundless energy and a sharp eye for an opening to the Red Hands table.

Yet he concedes that he is still on a learning curve in terms of bedding down in inter-county football.

"I missed some chances against Down and I know myself I have lots to work on. The boys felt that they had a lot to answer for from the drawn game and I was delighted for the sake of our fans that we were able to win in Newry," reflects McGinley.

Tyrone unleashed a fresh level of intensity in that game which McGinley hopes they can replicate against a Monaghan side that will be making its debut in the Championship having had a seven-week break from competitive action following their Division Two final win over Donegal.

"I was lucky enough to get those two goals against Down but Monaghan will make things very hard because they will be keen to keep their title. They will be playing at home, they have lots of experience and also have the confidence that comes from a winning run," points out McGinley.

Even without cultured finisher Conor McManus, Monaghan are still expected to pose a huge threat with players like Jack McCarron, Paudie McKenna, Kieran Hughes and of course Paul Finlay carrying a big scoring threat.

McGinley, of course, is by no means the only Tyrone forward capable of reaping handsome scoring dividends.

Kyle Coney, Darren McCurry and the evergreen Sean Cavanagh are among those capable of hitting the target from distance not to mention the contribution that goalkeeper Niall Morgan can make from placed balls.

"There is no doubt that we have quality finishers. The last day out things ran for me but it could be someone else's turn on Sunday.

"The important thing is that we get a win that will take us into the semi-final against Armagh," adds McGinley.

Bingo

Been told Monaghan will line out as follows:

1 Paddy Linden
2 Aoife Carragher (AA roadwatch)
3 Gerry McCarville
4 Paddy Cole
5 Barry McGuigan
6 The Banty
7 Nudie Hughes
8 Big Tom
9 Dick Clerkin
10 Charlenne McKenna
11 Oliver Callan
12 Ryan Sheridan
13 Kevin McBride
14 Conor McManus
15 Nudie Hughes

Ardlan O'Hanlon and Aiobhainn McGinnity very close but useful to come in off the bench.

God14

How many injuries have Tyrone confirmed?
Obviously Conor Clarke out for the season. Joe McMahon still a long way off making a return (prob be 2015 in all likelihood)
Tiernan McCann is out, but cant recall hearing any others confirmed unavailable?

armaghniac

Quote from: Bingo on June 12, 2014, 12:09:01 PM

1 Paddy Linden
3 Gerry McCarville
4 Paddy Cole
5 Barry McGuigan
6 The Banty
7 Nudie Hughes
8 Big Tom
9 Dick Clerkin
10 Charlenne McKenna
11 Oliver Callan
12 Ryan Sheridan
13 Kevin McBride
14 Conor McManus
15 Nudie Hughes

Ardlan O'Hanlon and Aiobhainn McGinnity very close but useful to come in off the bench.

I'm surprised they didn't play Tommy Bowe, who'd be more use than some of those.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Club Rossa

Talking to a Tyrone player this morning,can't believe how many players are unavailable for Sunday ???
I'll have to revise my prediction and say Monaghan by 8.
Just hope we get some of them back for the Louth game.

BennyHarp

Quote from: Club Rossa on June 12, 2014, 12:37:45 PM
Talking to a Tyrone player this morning,can't believe how many players are unavailable for Sunday ???
I'll have to revise my prediction and say Monaghan by 8.
Just hope we get some of them back for the Louth game.

To be fair, even with a full squad we would have struggled in this one. We'll probably get Roscommon after Louth which would be a very difficult game too.
That was never a square ball!!

Schkite

You Tyrone lads are some craic with all this talk of playing Louth. If yous were putting out the minors you'd be fully confident of winning against Monaghan.

Bingo

Quote from: armaghniac on June 12, 2014, 12:33:54 PM
Quote from: Bingo on June 12, 2014, 12:09:01 PM

1 Paddy Linden
3 Gerry McCarville
4 Paddy Cole
5 Barry McGuigan
6 The Banty
7 Nudie Hughes
8 Big Tom
9 Dick Clerkin
10 Charlenne McKenna
11 Oliver Callan
12 Ryan Sheridan
13 Kevin McBride
14 Conor McManus
15 Nudie Hughes

I'm surprised they didn't play Tommy Bowe, who'd be more use than some of those.

Too injury prone.

donelli

Quote from: GrandMasterFlash on June 11, 2014, 01:50:46 PM
Team prediction as follows, assuming McManus and Gavin Doogan are non-starters and Lennon is:

1. Rory Beggan
2. Ryan Wylie
3. Drew Wylie
4. Colin Walshe
5. Fintan Kelly
6. Dessie Mone
7. Vinny Corey
8. Eoin Lennon
9. Darren Hughes
10. Paul Finlay
11. Stephen Gollogy
12. Chris McGuinness
13. Jack McCarron
14. Kieran Hughes
15. Dermot Malone

I'd have Kieran Duffy, Paudie McKenna and Conor McManus starting instead of Ryan Wylie, McGuiness and McCarron.

Is Gavin Doogan likely to be back in the next month?

Bingo

Quote from: donelli on June 12, 2014, 12:50:43 PM
Quote from: GrandMasterFlash on June 11, 2014, 01:50:46 PM
Team prediction as follows, assuming McManus and Gavin Doogan are non-starters and Lennon is:

1. Rory Beggan
2. Ryan Wylie
3. Drew Wylie
4. Colin Walshe
5. Fintan Kelly
6. Dessie Mone
7. Vinny Corey
8. Eoin Lennon
9. Darren Hughes
10. Paul Finlay
11. Stephen Gollogy
12. Chris McGuinness
13. Jack McCarron
14. Kieran Hughes
15. Dermot Malone

I'd have Kieran Duffy, Paudie McKenna and Conor McManus starting instead of Ryan Wylie, McGuiness and McCarron.

Is Gavin Doogan likely to be back in the next month?

I'd have Doogan back quicker than McManus, has he not played a games or two already?

cluaineois

printed my tickets last night for the match and when passing the pitch this morning i went in to see what my seats were like and true to form the ulster council have allocated extremely poor seats to season ticket holders. Has anybody on here had any luck getting their tickets changed ?
once your a clone your never alone

Fear ón Srath Bán

Looks like MH will have no option but to go with the younger players, in the main -- baptism of fire or what!  :-\
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...