Roscommon vs. Mayo - Connacht SFC Semi-final (Dr. Hyde Park, June 8th 2014)

Started by Syferus, May 18, 2014, 05:14:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will Andy transfer to his home county after such an insult?

Yes
10 (83.3%)
Yep
4 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Syferus

ross4life

Hard luck to lads today superb workrate put in throughout. It was a good competitive hard hitting game that reminded me of the battles between the sides in the late 80s/early 90s. We had the winning of that game no doubt but soft frees given away and two huge points kicked from play from the experienced Andy Moran proved the difference.

Not many sides will hold this Mayo side to just 0-13 this summer. Their six starting forwards was held to i think just 0-3 from play & we held their free scoring half back line scoreless. To win we needed to take all the chances that came out way Higgins hit the post late on and if we had taken one of the other two goal scoring chances we would probably have a Connacht final to look forward to now. To lose both O'Gara.D Shine to injury when we had the momentum was a massive blow and probably the turning point of the game.

A win for us today probably would have shocked most including a few die hard Roscommon supporters but when we make the senior breakthrough with this talented panel of players it shouldn't come as a shock to anyone.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

dublin7

The game today summed up Mayo perfectly. Solid un defence, but up front lacking any composure or quality forward. Only Andy Moran offered anything like a top  class display & he came off the bench. Must be heart breaking for Mayo defenders playing along side such inept forwards. Mayo will get to quarter/semi finals, but will get no further with such a poor set of forwards

antoinse

A win for us today probably would have shocked most including a few die hard Roscommon supporters but when we make the senior breakthrough with this talented panel of players it shouldn't come as a shock to anyone.

I don't think I will be holding my breath!

From the Bunker

Quote from: dublin7 on June 09, 2014, 12:04:05 AM
The game today summed up Mayo perfectly. Solid un defence, but up front lacking any composure or quality forward. Only Andy Moran offered anything like a top  class display & he came off the bench. Must be heart breaking for Mayo defenders playing along side such inept forwards. Mayo will get to quarter/semi finals, but will get no further with such a poor set of forwards
The gas thing is they might even make a  AI final again.  But you are right,  they are going   nowhere!  Still there wont  be a queue to play them in Croker.

mayoman dan

Some observations from a mayo fan.
1. K Mc Loughlin is wasted in the ff line we badly need him further out the field.
2. J Doherty is not good enough and is not suited to being a half forward.
3. Andy has to start
4.Was Freeman injured he was like a statue all game he hardly moved?
5.Horan needs to bury the hatchet with Feeney and give him a fair chance its a disgrace the way he is being treated.A hf line with Feeney and Mc Loughlin would address a lot of issues with winning breaking ball and more importantly having a bit of composure while on the ball.
6.Vaughan is still kicking the ball away every time he attempts a kick pass.
7.Is Adam Gallagher still involved with the panel he looked good in the early stages of the league?

Pangurban

Observations from a Down Man
                                               There is not an All Ireland in that Mayo team
                                              We will be seeing a lot more of that talented bunch of Rossies

muppet

Quote from: mayoman dan on June 09, 2014, 12:26:55 AM
QuoteSome observations from a mayo fan.
1. K Mc Loughlin is wasted in the ff line we badly need him further out the field.
Agreed 100%
Quote2. J Doherty is not good enough and is not suited to being a half forward.
I think he is good enough but only inside.
3. Andy has to start
Maybe
4.Was Freeman injured he was like a statue all game he hardly moved?
We played a lot of ball his way, which he got hands on and then joined the chorus of soapy pass the parcel. I would definitely persist with him.
5.Horan needs to bury the hatchet with Feeney and give him a fair chance its a disgrace the way he is being treated.A hf line with Feeney and Mc Loughlin would address a lot of issues with winning breaking ball and more importantly having a bit of composure while on the ball.
I could not agree more.
6.Vaughan is still kicking the ball away every time he attempts a kick pass.
His passing was the best of the HB line today, which is not a compliment.
7.Is Adam Gallagher still involved with the panel he looked good in the early stages of the league?
I know some of his family and a former great poster here is one of them. I am disappointed, and that is all I will say.
MWWSI 2017

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: From the Bunker on June 08, 2014, 11:14:47 PM
We wont be unbackable in the final this year and that will suit us more. Galway/Sligo from todays performance won't know what Mayo they will be facing.

Mayo will be hot favourites in the Connacht final no matter what happens between Galway and Sligo. Bar one team destroying the other and looking fantastic. Which is very unlikely to happen.

Farrandeelin

Apparently Adam Gallagher is still on the panel. I saw on the Western how the Mayo Gaels delegate was annoyed about having their game postponed and wondered if Adam would be released for the game.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

seafoid

Quote from: Syferus on June 08, 2014, 11:46:46 PM
Don't forget '94. Never forget that one.

Remind me again, Syf. Was it the Offaly comeback in the hurling ?
Or did the crossbar break again ?

highorlow

What is Horans issue with 'club commitments'.

That was a weak interview by him. Probably more to do with the intensity of the game.

Based on the posts here and everywhere else in the media we will be written off this year. People will never learn. Not many were writing off the Cork hurlers after their rusty display in game 1.

Could be '12 all over again.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Farrandeelin

Honestly, it's hard to know about yesterday, have we really shook off our league form? It doesn't look to me as if we have, then again, the conditions didn't help. Saying that it wouldn't have helped Roscommon either. I was confident we would get a good performance from the team before the game. We got a win and a performance for around 10 minutes at the end. That was tough on Ros yesterday, but I'm sure the U-21s and the other young ones will learn from it. I also wonder was Evans wrong to leave the U-21s on the bench for that length of time. Thankfully for us he did, but from Ros's own perspective it was mindboggling. I agree with mayoman dan regarding 6 out of his 7 observations. I wouldn't start Andy, he showed yesterday that when the going got tough he was able to step in and lead. Would he be able to do that if he was on from the beginning in a dogfight, I'm not so sure. I would have given Tom Cunniffe man of the match.

PS Rossies, am I the only one who thinks Donie Shine is severely over-rated? Sure, he's a great man from dead-ball situations, but from play, he didn't do much. Certainly not a good number 11.

PPS, my own worries about the half-forwardline seemed to be shared by Horan as the game went on. And to sub 4 of the starting 6 forwards highlights the problems we have up front.

Put Up That Flag

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 09, 2014, 09:56:15 AM
PS Rossies, am I the only one who thinks Donie Shine is severely over-rated? Sure, he's a great man from dead-ball situations, but from play, he didn't do much. Certainly not a good number 11.

No you are not the only one,he is one of the most over rated players in the country along side Cathal Cregg, they both are built up to be players they aren't by "experts" within the county who must see games in totally different ways to the normal people. Shine took a free yesterday in front of goal and it even missed the net it went so far wide.

Having said all that I hope his injury isnt anything serious.

Farrandeelin