Lazer

Quote from: Under Lights on May 19, 2014, 09:03:58 AM
Quote from: rodney trotter on May 18, 2014, 11:07:28 PM
Quote from: Zulu on May 18, 2014, 10:54:00 PM
Quote from: Under Lights on May 18, 2014, 09:27:59 PM
Quote from: Zulu on May 18, 2014, 09:24:12 PM
So?

Crowd could be affected.

For a soccer game between two Spanish sides?

2011 Champions league final was on the same time as Armagh and Down in Ulster first round, crowd was affected that day. Man Utd was one of the teams so wasn't all Spanish , but would imagine a lot would have an interest in the Cl final either way ..

Heavens forbid that people be interested in both gaelic and soccer. If both games are on TV I would say a lot of people could be tempted to have the chance to watch both. By attending the Down Tyrone game you don't have that chance.

Loads of people work Saturdays (possibly even some of the players!), so 7pm is more suitable time in my opinion.

Can't wait for the replay and hopeful Down can do it!
Down for Sam 2017 (Have already written of 2016!)

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: nrico2006 on May 19, 2014, 09:34:29 AM
Terrible team selection yesterday and two of the biggest calls (McGinley and McKenna) really back fired.  McGinley looked lost when under pressure up front and missed a lot of easy chances, but he is a defender and not a forward.  I thought that during the league Tyrone had gone away from this endless carrying the ball game, and instead were focused on playing quick foot passes into the forwards.  Yesterday ti seemed like Tyrone had reverted back to their old ways, maybe that was in part due to the lack of space seen up front with the number of Down bodies back, I dunno.  The one thing that does worry me is how easily the Tyrone defence is opened up when a ball is fed in to the opposition full forward line who recycles it to a player who is running through.  One of the goals yesterday came from this and Johnston also nearly had one through the same tactic.  Surely the prevention of this should have been really worked on in training as it was happening very often in the Mayo, Kerry and Dublin games in the league.  As someone said, maybe we have too many offensive orientated players in defence.  I think people are being hard on McBride too, you have to consider that this was his first Ulster Championship start for Tyrone yet I think he performed well, with his man scoring maybe a point.

Agree with most of this. The same weaknesses that Tyrone had during the NFL were witnessed yesterday too, and it's worrying that there appears to be neither (A) a plan to change things or (B) the personnel to change things and/ or implement a plan.

The FF line was decent enough yesterday when the ball went it. However I can't understand why Ronan O'Neill didn't get any game time, never mind start. Rumours of a fall out with Harte doing the rounds last week appear likely.

We have only a handful of real top notch players, Coney, Cavanagh (S), Morgan, Mattie Donnelly, McCurry on that XV yesterday so it can be no real surprise that we are where we are.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Club Rossa

Who was the baldy boy on the line for Down yesterday?Him and Horse Devlin covered more ground than most of the players.

skeog

old guard sent on to retrieve the game all the hype about conveyor belt of young talent a myth still extra game will help to iron out problems

Jinxy

Quote from: johnneycool on May 19, 2014, 09:36:39 AM
Did someone from Down kick Martin McHugh's dog or what?
He hadn't a good word to say about them the whole game, granted he had a field day in the first half as Down were dire, but once the two Johnstons and Benny Coulter (pronounced cool-ter on RTE for some reason) were introduced and Kiernan pushed into midfield, Tyrone were all over the shop. The free given to the Tyrone fullback when Madine was standing over him and not touching him was laughable and as pointed out by sidey, but Martins response was something about it hard for the ref to see!!

Big Whelahan and McStay called it right on the cards front, Maginn should have got a black card for the futile rugby tackle, but Morgan should have gotten a red for his bringing down of Johnston.

That poor dog has been kicked by half the country at this stage.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

seafoid

I have a feeling Mickey Harte will end up getting the Boylan treatment and that this will presage a long return to mediocrity for the county , as is the ongoing Meath experience. They'll ask for his head and it'll be delivered on a plate and the rot will go on.

neilthemac

How Sean Cavanagh got the last free still hasn't been shown on RTE
Amazing, considering Tyrone players were falling to the ground all game 'engineering' frees

Zulu

So?

Crowd could be affected.

2011 Champions league final was on the same time as Armagh and Down in Ulster first round, crowd was affected that day. Man Utd was one of the teams so wasn't all Spanish , but would imagine a lot would have an interest in the Cl final either way ..

Heavens forbid that people be interested in both gaelic and soccer. If both games are on TV I would say a lot of people could be tempted to have the chance to watch both. By attending the Down Tyrone game you don't have that chance.

Of course some people will be interested in both but I don't understand why you feel the GAA should be fixing it's games with other sporting occasions in mind, particularly between two teams with tiny support bases in this country.

Nally Stand

"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Aaron Boone

Quote from: Zulu on May 19, 2014, 11:07:55 AM
So?

Crowd could be affected.

Of course some people will be interested in both but I don't understand why you feel the GAA should be fixing it's games with other sporting occasions in mind, particularly between two teams with tiny support bases in this country.

Athletico are massive on the peninsula  :)

thewobbler

Quote from: Nally Stand on May 19, 2014, 11:14:21 AM
Settle down soccer drones...replay at 12pm, not 7pm.

http://www.gaa.ie/fixtures-and-results/national-fixtures/gaa-football-all-ireland-senior-championship/ulster/

I'd guess that their computer system needed a time to allow the fixture to be generated. There's way an Ulster championship match would start at noon on a Saturday surely?

Nally Stand

Quote from: thewobbler on May 19, 2014, 11:23:38 AM
Quote from: Nally Stand on May 19, 2014, 11:14:21 AM
Settle down soccer drones...replay at 12pm, not 7pm.

http://www.gaa.ie/fixtures-and-results/national-fixtures/gaa-football-all-ireland-senior-championship/ulster/

I'd guess that their computer system needed a time to allow the fixture to be generated. There's way an Ulster championship match would start at noon on a Saturday surely?

I'd say that's probably right enough but sure if it keeps a few lads quiet about the ol' ground ball for a while, can't we just pretend it's at 12?
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

AQMP

Don't have much time for Cavanagh's antics but the decision to award the equalising free at the end was the correct one.

trueblue1234

Quote from: neilthemac on May 19, 2014, 11:07:40 AM
How Sean Cavanagh got the last free still hasn't been shown on RTE
Amazing, considering Tyrone players were falling to the ground all game 'engineering' frees

It was shown a couple of times. And it was a stone wall free. Care to list the Tyrone Dives that were going on all game? The only clear one that I saw was McBride (How the ref gave it I don't know!!) 
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit