Tyrone v Down - Sun 18th May, Omagh

Started by tyroneman, April 15, 2014, 06:58:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

Quote from: rrhf on May 15, 2014, 11:14:13 PM
Always feel It's important not to criticise players before the game as they  need confidence to succeed.  For some of them players it is praise they need not negative stuff sant.   
quote author=Redhand Santa link=topic=24536.msg1352080#msg1352080 date=1400191575]
Quote from: rrhf on May 15, 2014, 10:50:26 PM

Strongest spine on a Tyrone team I've seen for a couple of years.  Good luck to the lads., lot of men here think they know more than mickey so ill sit back and listen to their wisdom. Down won't be easy. Keep the faith Santa.

It's well seen Niall McKenna is full forward - you've been questioning his selection for years! I'm not convinced with the team and a lot of aspects of it but happy to let Harte do his job. For years everyone questioned the wisdom of Colm Cavanagh being on and he eventually proved his worth. Even the likes of Mark Donnelly was criticised before he started playing at a decent standard.
[/quote]

Feck, RRHF, we've won All-Irelands whilst being written off on the gaaboard (and even RTE). I don't think the squad is glued to this thread.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

barelegs

The way I'm reading that team is that Tyrone could well start with a fairly defensive set up. Paddy McNeice when Harte has used him in the  championship usually drops fairly deep. The other wing forward, Ciaran McGinley, is  naturally a defender and Niall McKenna's usually happier operating around midfield. It wouldn't surprise anyone if he was opting to give the full back line more cover would it?

Mickey Harte IS as likely to change a team before throw in as any other manager in the country. He could make changes, but when he names a team as different as that it might well be the team to start.

reddgnhand

Quote from: Redhand Santa on May 15, 2014, 11:06:15 PM
Strongest spine on a Tyrone team I've seen for a couple of years.  Good luck to the lads., lot of men here think they know more than mickey so ill sit back and listen to their wisdom. Down won't be easy. Keep the faith Santa.

It's well seen Niall McKenna is full forward - you've been questioning his selection for years! I'm not convinced with the team and a lot of aspects of it but happy to let Harte do his job. For years everyone questioned the wisdom of Colm Cavanagh being on and he eventually proved his worth. Even the likes of Mark Donnelly was criticised before he started playing at a decent standard.

How long are you happy for MH to do the job? We have won nothing since 2010 and  been hammered by all the top teams.

Fuzzman

Noel McGinn was saying on Teamtalk afterwards that McKenna scored 1.05 from FF for his club recently. I'd say Mickey is picking the team on current form and he said they play a lot of in house games so he sees a lot more than we do.
I bet that time does start but am shocked at some of the bug names that missed out. But with 6 dubs now maybe he's thinking of his finishing team. Who will pick up Coulter?
McBride or Tierney?
Mickey will determine when its time to leave I'd say. It will be a brave man to ask him to step down.
Where can you Down lads see ye winning this game?
MF? Scoring goals against a very inexperienced defence.

Pangurban

Our forwards will score goals, if we can get good quick delivery to them. Hope Down throw caution to the wind and go for an all out attacking game,keep Tyrone on the back foot as much as possible

Fear ón Srath Bán

Down (SFC v Tyrone) - Brendan McVeigh; Daniel McCartan, Brendan McArdle, Ryan Boyle; Declan Rooney, Aidan Carr, Conor Garvey; Peter Turley, Ambrose Rogers; Conor Maginn, Mark Poland, Kevin McKernan; Donal O'Hare, Niall Madine, Brendan Coulter.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Under Lights

The fact the MH can't pick his match day squad really grinds my gears. Ronan O'Neill is likely to get on but not officially named in the programme. Tyrone are fined for this I believe. It's not the fine that bothers me but its the fact that MH can't just grow a set and pick the 26.

EC Unique

I take it that all the experts on here attend all the in house games where the team selection takes place?

Maybe we should wait until Sunday to see 1 the team that starts and 2 the result.

tc_manchester

Sometimes you wonder what use the League is - if we look at our spine we pick a full back who had 1 game there. A midfielder who played at full back during the league, a centre half forward who hasn't played there before plus a full forward who didn't play there in the league. We have 3 chfs in the squad and none of them are picked. We've 2 half forwards who are going to end up playing half back so we've got to assume that either the ball's going to be hoist long to the full forward line or Sean Cavanagh is going to end up being a very tired link man. Given that the half forwards won't be up in attack then Down can sacrifice a man to stick tight to Sean. All our attacking problems over the last few years have been down to not having half forwards which kept the oppositions half backs honest. Hopefully I've read this all wrong - Still expect to win but it looks like we've gone back into the laager

orangeman

Horses for courses I would imagine will be the order of the day in a lot of championship matches this summer.

LeoMc

Quote from: orangeman on May 16, 2014, 09:53:54 AM
Horses for courses I would imagine will be the order of the day in a lot of championship matches this summer.

I would agree with that. I don't think this is the team Mickey would pick against Monaghan / Derry / Donegal but at home against a smaller team who don't play a blanket defence he may see this as a chance to try something which is working in training.

Quote from: reddgnhand on May 16, 2014, 12:01:40 AM
Quote from: Redhand Santa on May 15, 2014, 11:06:15 PM

How long are you happy for MH to do the job? We have won nothing since 2010 and  been hammered by all the top teams.

A lot of teams have won nothing from 2010. Are our players that much better?
Mickey is not infallable anad has got it spectacularly wrong on occasion but I would let him do the job until someone else comes along and proves himself, e.g. wins an All-Ireland u-21. We have had a number of management set-up's which have failed to win with good minor teams at this transition stage.

Wee Roddy

I am told that this is virtually the same team that was selected last week as the first team in a training game. The subs beat them apparently so the hints from various sources on here all week from a Tyrone perspective were correct. When we were winning stuff, the panel was tight and no one could second guess Tyrones team. A lot of the speculation was coming from our Omagh posters and they got a couple of surprises correct. Perhaps someone from Omagh needs to keep the gob quiet when he comes home from training

Knock Yer Mucker In

Quote from: Knock Yer Mucker In on May 14, 2014, 10:11:38 AM
Quote from: Under Lights on May 14, 2014, 08:46:54 AM
Quote from: Fuzzman on May 13, 2014, 08:26:20 PM
I don't like the look of the team Archer has picked in the Irish News

Name it.

I will have a stab at the team- not the time Under Lights would pick but the one I think MH will.

1. Morgan

2. Aidan McRory
3. Justin McMahon
4. Ryan McKenna

5. Ciaran McGinley
6. Matthew Donnelly
7. Peter Harte

8. Connor Clarke
9. Colm Cavanagh

10. Martin Penrose
11. Sean Cavanagh
12. Patrick McNeice

13. Darren McCurry
14. Niall McKenna
15. Kyle Coney

Personally I would have Ronan O'Neill, Conor McAliskey and Conor Gormley starting but I just have a hunch about someone like McKenna at full forward- alternatively he could revert Mattie back to FF and bring in Gormley but I just don't think he will start Gormely.

Your doing to much talking to people close to the set up to be posting on here mate

As I said you doing to much talking on here, and have been talking to someone close to the camp.

screenexile

I think that's as weak a Tyrone team as I've seen in the Championship for a long time I reckon Sunday will be interesting!

WT4E

I have to agree with wee roddy on someone keeping the gob shut. I've known some Tyrone players in the past and they give very little away when your talking to them and anything they would give away I would generally keep quiet until after the game!

I have concerns about the team as have most, I hope I'm proved wrong but worried about the following:
FB Line (particularly McBride)
T McCann
P McNeice

No harm to those above but I think there are better options on the bench and I fully expect Harte not to change his team before the throw in. One of the things I think MH is about is the fact that if he hears that people want him to do something he will do the opposite.

After seeing the team Down look great value at 4/1 even though I wouldn't have the heart to do it!

Hopefully Tyrone win and Dan McCartan gets a lovely roasting that would be the ideal for me!!!