Tyrone v Down - Sun 18th May, Omagh

Started by tyroneman, April 15, 2014, 06:58:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyroneman

Might as well get it started......

Two of the most unpredictable teams in Ireland. Will home advantage be enough?

Under Lights

Very hard to pick the starting 15 for Tyrone.

I see Justin McMahon played for Omagh at the weekend.

God14

At the start of the year all the Tyrone talk was about the new emerging talent - Grugan, PJ Lavery, D McNulty, returning N McKenna etc etc whereas now most of us are yearning for the return of the old brigade - Gormley, McMahons, SON, Penrose etc. It was a frustrating league campaign from a Tyrone perspective. Its hard to know where we are at. Mickey has a lot of work to do between now & May 18th. I think the most disappointing aspect of our league campaign is that for the second successive year we are no closer to finding our strongest 15. A leaky defence & the form of Sean Cavanagh are both worrying signs.

nrico2006

I think this year will stand to Grugan as he has featured quite a bit.  Why has Lavery not got more chances recently and is McNulty off the squad completely?  Is he now injury free?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Redhand Santa

Quote from: tyroneman on April 15, 2014, 06:58:12 AM

I'd say in championship anyway Tyrone haven't been unpredictable in recent years. We've only been knocked out by the top teams - Donegal, Dublin, Mayo and Kerry. We've beaten every team we'd expect to beat below the very top level - Monaghan, Kildare, Meath, Armagh etc. The big thing now is to push on and take out a top team or 2 this year.

Aristo 60

Home advantage will be more than enough. Tyrone by 8.

orangeman

Quote from: Aristo 60 on April 15, 2014, 11:38:01 AM

Hom advantage will be more than enough. Tyrone by 8.

With 15 Down men behind the ball, Tyrone might not even get to 8 points, let alone win by 8.

I can see a 0-0 draw.

Under Lights

Quote from: nrico2006 on April 15, 2014, 09:08:38 AM
I think this year will stand to Grugan as he has featured quite a bit.  Why has Lavery not got more chances recently and is McNulty off the squad completely?  Is he now injury free?

McNulty off the squad.

Black Card

snoopdog

Down arent at the same level as Tyrone. There will be no repeat of 08 in omagh/Newry. Simply our forwards arent good enough they are afraid to take a shot at the posts have to try and work it as close to the sticks as possible before taking a pop. Far too small also. Had a poor league, without a last minute winner in Armagh we may be playing Division 3. Its been a tough 20 years follwing Down and it doesnt look like its getting any easier any time soon.
Will still make the journey to Omagh regardless more in hope than anything else

Fuzzman

Tyroneman, you started this thread early in the morning?
Kids, Cows or what were you minding when you started typing?

It's great we're at this stage of the year already and yes whilst us TyrMoanies are all a bit worried about the season ahead, we should trust in Mickey as he knows what's brest for Tyrone and look where he took us last year with a much more limited forward line.
Ye can say what you like about bringing back the "oldies" but you're in total denial if you don't think SON, Gormley, the 2 McMahons and Penrose would not be automatic starters if at all fit.
I think Mickey has done a good job bringing in the young lads and giving them plenty of "game time" like Dublin and Cork have done as well as other teams. AFAIK Donegal have played with their basic 12-13 starting lineup and maybe have unearthed 1 or 2 others.

I'd be pretty happy with the shape we're in and think we've more to choose from than last year.
Big Sean was easing himself back into the game after his latest injury and Joey & Justy are always best suited to the hard ground with their dodgy hammies.
Hopefully SoN will recover well enough from the surgery from that freak standing on the ball thing last year and the total rest he has had will be worth it. I for one have not written him off yet
Of course you'll get loads of Derry and Armagh wans saying all those players are done cos they want to believe that but I'd say Joey will be our POTY this year, unless I just cursed him of course.

Down certainly don't worry me as much as say Donegal or Derry. I think Donegal are happy to lye in the long grass and mug all us again with their super defensive style as we have all moved on to open football again
I can see another back door route but maybe we'll get to the Ulster final.
Speaking of which, could this be the year for the first ever Derry v Tyrone final? Hmmmm...

Dick Craig

First ever Derry v Tyrone Ulster Final??? I don't think so.
1957 - Colour clash so Derry wore blue (!) and tyrone wore Ulster Amber.
Tyrone won.

Under Lights

Quote from: Fuzzman on April 15, 2014, 03:26:55 PM
Tyroneman, you started this thread early in the morning?
Kids, Cows or what were you minding when you started typing?

It's great we're at this stage of the year already and yes whilst us TyrMoanies are all a bit worried about the season ahead, we should trust in Mickey as he knows what's brest for Tyrone and look where he took us last year with a much more limited forward line.
Ye can say what you like about bringing back the "oldies" but you're in total denial if you don't think SON, Gormley, the 2 McMahons and Penrose would not be automatic starters if at all fit.
I think Mickey has done a good job bringing in the young lads and giving them plenty of "game time" like Dublin and Cork have done as well as other teams. AFAIK Donegal have played with their basic 12-13 starting lineup and maybe have unearthed 1 or 2 others.

I'd be pretty happy with the shape we're in and think we've more to choose from than last year.
Big Sean was easing himself back into the game after his latest injury and Joey & Justy are always best suited to the hard ground with their dodgy hammies.
Hopefully SoN will recover well enough from the surgery from that freak standing on the ball thing last year and the total rest he has had will be worth it. I for one have not written him off yet
Of course you'll get loads of Derry and Armagh wans saying all those players are done cos they want to believe that but I'd say Joey will be our POTY this year, unless I just cursed him of course.

Down certainly don't worry me as much as say Donegal or Derry. I think Donegal are happy to lye in the long grass and mug all us again with their super defensive style as we have all moved on to open football again
I can see another back door route but maybe we'll get to the Ulster final.
Speaking of which, could this be the year for the first ever Derry v Tyrone final? Hmmmm...

Can't see Joey being available for the Down game. Has done nothing training wise due to a serious groin injury. Could be a bit of a non-runner of a season for him.

Beantown

Home advantage in Omagh means diddly squat to Tyrone.. It seems they get beat there more often than they win these days.. Usually play better away from home.. Saying that I expect Tyrone to win but probably by 2 or 3 points.. Of course the usual injury jinx could strike between now and then and we will not have a clue as to who will line out... Wouldn't have it any other way haha

ONeill

Whoever wins plays Monaghan. A tough road ahead.

I expect Tyrone to pinch this but only just. I'd have Derry, Donegal and Monaghan as the top three in the province with ourselves, Cavan and Down in that order following them.

Looking at the power of Dublin last weekend throws the spotlight on how physically light our lads are in comparison, apart from a couple of players.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.