19 (79.2%)
Dessie Farrell
5 (20.8%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Johnnybegood

Quote from: Hill16 Blues on April 23, 2014, 09:10:52 AM
Quote from: orangeman on April 23, 2014, 12:01:31 AM

Eugene backs Cavan complaints.

The former chairman of the Football Review Committee (FRC) Eugene McGee, who helped introduce both the black card and the advantage rule, has expressed his opinion the Dublin player should indeed have been black carded, as "deliberate this foul most certainly was", while the advantage rule was also misapplied.
"As with all new rules it is not just players or mentors who have to get accustomed to them, but the referees also," said McGee.

Well it shows he doesn't know what he's talking about as was clearly shown Cavan player pulled McHugh down on to the ground. Anyone that denies has either not looked at the incident or is being deliberately dishonest.
+1
The Dublin player definitely fouled but it wasn't a deli biotite pull down as the camera clearly shows the Cavan player pulling the Dublin Jersey before they both went to ground simultaneously

mylestheslasher

Sure what would McGee know, he only wrote the rule book on it.

Johnnybegood

Quote from: mylestheslasher on April 23, 2014, 10:24:41 AM
Sure what would McGee know, he only wrote the rule book on it.
just because he was part of the committee doesn't mean he didn't make a mistake in his viewing if the incident in question
Did the Cavan player grab the Dublin players jersey in the incident on question?

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: INDIANA on April 20, 2014, 05:51:17 PM
Quote from: Westside on April 20, 2014, 05:33:47 PM
Let's say for a second that you're right and Dublin don't have an advantage due to population (which I'm finding it hard to believe that you're actually saying to someone from Cavan).. Why are they given 1.5 million for games development and Cork, who have more clubs as you've said yourself, get 95k if what the lad above says is true? (If it's not then fair enough)
Surely the only rationale for giving Dublin such a huge amount of funding for games development would be if they were reaching a massively higher proportion of players than the counties that were given so much less?

Genuine questions here as I haven't ever paid much attention to this debate or the Dublin defence to it.

The number one reason its given is because in a study around 1999/2000 the GAA were so alarmed at the lack of penetration of the national games in the capital city they decided they had to do something about it.

Participation numbers had plummeted and were falling every year. For a city of 1m people GAA would be gone soon enough if they didn't.

Now there is definitely a case for redressing the balance and I have no issue with that. I don't see why the GAA doesn't make special funding available to certain counties for development structures. Won't win them an AI but it might in an odd year give them a shot at a provincial crown. But it seems the GAA are intent on stockpiling all their cash.

What they didn't bank on was Dublin organising their development structures so well. people think its money- its not. Its coaching expertise. So many counties were asleep at the wheel slating Dublin when they getting hammered by kilkenny at hurling and kerry and tyrone and football instead of looking after their own development structures.

But the idea that clubs in Dublin are getting it is rubbish. Dublin clubs are leveraged to the hilt in many cases from bad property deals similar to rural clubs. Have to fund raise to to build anything same as every club. We don't get anymore grants then anyone else.

Go and talk to clubs outside the top 6 and ask them how easy it is. My club is in the top 6 , has 2 all ireland club titles in 6 years and is still struggling! So Gods knows how the others are coping.

This is a special group of Dublin footballers. Our minors should have lost to Longford yesterday, Kildare have beaten us at minor level in the last couple of years, Its all cyclical. Kilkenny didn't destroy hurling winning 4 in  arow. Dublin won't at football either and we probably won't even win 2 in a row.

Who are the top 6 you're on about Indiana?
You've mentioned a few times about these top 6 and smaller clubs failing. Its not something I buy.
As someone that played, trained, managed and was on the committee of a small club they issue is too many clubs in a small area. If you look around Crumlin you have Crumlin, James Gaels, Good Council, Robert Emmets and part of TSS all within an asses roar of each other, the first four should look at amalgamations, apart from james and emmets they have good grounds which they own.

Which of these monster clubs would not make your top six?
Ballyboden
Kilmacud
Judes
Na Fianna
Brigids
Vincents
Ballymun

And that list doesnt include Ballinteer, Erins Isle, Slyvesters, Lucan, Tomas Davis, Plunketts and Parnells.

All of these clubs are bigger than anything we have in Mayo

When you go outside of that list there are plenty of other clubs, especially in north county dublin, that are thriving, Raheny, Maurs, Pats, Annes, Mernog, Man O War

Then you have the likes of TSS and Olafs that are going to be monster clubs
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Hound

Reilly's done a great job in deflecting discussions away from the real reason Cavan lost - Him!

On the day, Cavan had the better footballers overall, yet the tactics employed were those of a team who'd be happy to avoid a hammering. Despite the tactics, and because they have good players, they still very nearly managed to win - if only the manager had the cop on and bravery to notice what was happeining in front of his eyes and let them off the leash. Need not even mention the ridicilous substitution. in my view, if for example the Rossie manager had been in charge of Cavan, Cavan would have beaten the Dubs by 3 or 4 points. It was a sickening defeat for Cavan, we've all been there and plenty have reacted like moaning whingebags in such circumstances.

Rossies will beat the Dubs next time, unless the Dubs improve. They will improve if Dessie gets access to the senior players on a full time basis between the semi and final. But I doubt they will improve if the lads are back with the seniors for the NFL final (which I presume is what is happening as senior is more important).

Hill16 Blues

Dublin u21s are not with the seniors and won't be. Farrell has them exclusively till final.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: Hill16 Blues on April 23, 2014, 01:30:39 PM
Dublin u21s are not with the seniors and won't be. Farrell has them exclusively till final.

So no Mannion, Mc Caffrey or Costello for Sunday? Interesting.

rodney trotter

None of those were used against Cork in the Semi so not a surpirse they won't be involved against Derry.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: rodney trotter on April 23, 2014, 01:37:52 PM
None of those were used against Cork in the Semi so not a surpirse they won't be involved agaisnt Derry.

True, they have plenty of able replacements anyway.

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on April 23, 2014, 12:35:24 PM
Let's say for a second that you're right and Dublin don't have an advantage due to population (which I'm finding it hard to believe that you're actually saying to someone from Cavan).. Why are they given 1.5 million for games development and Cork, who have more clubs as you've said yourself, get 95k if what the lad above says is true? (If it's not then fair enough)
Surely the only rationale for giving Dublin such a huge amount of funding for games development would be if they were reaching a massively higher proportion of players than the counties that were given so much less?

Genuine questions here as I haven't ever paid much attention to this debate or the Dublin defence to it.

The number one reason its given is because in a study around 1999/2000 the GAA were so alarmed at the lack of penetration of the national games in the capital city they decided they had to do something about it.

Participation numbers had plummeted and were falling every year. For a city of 1m people GAA would be gone soon enough if they didn't.

Now there is definitely a case for redressing the balance and I have no issue with that. I don't see why the GAA doesn't make special funding available to certain counties for development structures. Won't win them an AI but it might in an odd year give them a shot at a provincial crown. But it seems the GAA are intent on stockpiling all their cash.

What they didn't bank on was Dublin organising their development structures so well. people think its money- its not. Its coaching expertise. So many counties were asleep at the wheel slating Dublin when they getting hammered by kilkenny at hurling and kerry and tyrone and football instead of looking after their own development structures.

But the idea that clubs in Dublin are getting it is rubbish. Dublin clubs are leveraged to the hilt in many cases from bad property deals similar to rural clubs. Have to fund raise to to build anything same as every club. We don't get anymore grants then anyone else.

Go and talk to clubs outside the top 6 and ask them how easy it is. My club is in the top 6 , has 2 all ireland club titles in 6 years and is still struggling! So Gods knows how the others are coping.

This is a special group of Dublin footballers. Our minors should have lost to Longford yesterday, Kildare have beaten us at minor level in the last couple of years, Its all cyclical. Kilkenny didn't destroy hurling winning 4 in  arow. Dublin won't at football either and we probably won't even win 2 in a row.

You've mentioned a few times about these top 6 and smaller clubs failing. Its not something I buy.
As someone that played, trained, managed and was on the committee of a small club they issue is too many clubs in a small area. If you look around Crumlin you have Crumlin, James Gaels, Good Council, Robert Emmets and part of TSS all within an asses roar of each other, the first four should look at amalgamations, apart from james and emmets they have good grounds which they own.

Ballyboden
Kilmacud
Judes
Na Fianna
Brigids
Vincents
Ballymun

And that list doesnt include Ballinteer, Erins Isle, Slyvesters, Lucan, Tomas Davis, Plunketts and Parnells.

When you go outside of that list there are plenty of other clubs, especially in north county dublin, that are thriving, Raheny, Maurs, Pats, Annes, Mernog, Man O War

No comment on this Indiana?
Possibly cause you were talking out of ur arse when no one would contradict you?

northsideboy

Sounds like you are the one spouting the brown stuff here MFS. Just look at your name!

Canalman

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on April 25, 2014, 10:06:00 AM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam on April 23, 2014, 12:35:24 PM

Ballyboden
Kilmacud
Judes
Na Fianna
Brigids
Vincents
Ballymun

No comment on this Indiana?
Possibly cause you were talking out of ur arse when no one would contradict you?

Only skimmed over previous posts but just have to point out for every BBSE, Kilmacud Crokes etc there are probably 10 or so clubs struggling or if not struggling fighting hard not to struggle. Big problem getting mentors like everywhere in the country.

Population of Dublin as a whole is a neat figure to throw out while the fact that there are 80 or so GAA clubs in the county as a whole never really mentioned.

Dublin has its advantages but not to the extent that is regularly trotted out. Fact that county is trying to re establish hurling in the county also neatly forgotten by other counties with a near sole interest in football.
Alot of players have also emigrated which may be surprising to those who think jobs are plentiful in Dublin.

Not denying we have "advantages" but not to the extent the begrudgers caterwail about.

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: northsideboy on April 25, 2014, 10:19:31 AM
Sounds like you are the one spouting the brown stuff here MFS. Just look at your name!

That really is the level of argument the Dubs can come back with

Canalman theres not 10 clubs for every BBSE, I've listed out 22 clubs there, you could add in a whole lot more like that are comfortable to thriving, Blackrock rugby are having to sell land to Cuala FFS, Cuala! There are a handful of clubs struggling close to the city centre because of superclubs just hoovering up the players, these clubs wont last, but the vast majority of clubs are doing well and expanding and the GAA are still pumping money into the development of GAA in Dublin and its an unfair advantage

Canalman

My point stands. You didn't mention any of the other 60 or so clubs I note.
IO'd say St Maurs and two St Patrick's would have a wry smile of your rosy picture presented.

Once again I am not saying we don't have "advantages" here in Dublin I am just saying that it is greatly exaggerated.

Be careful guys in demanding Dublin be split. Once the traditional county structure goes the merging of counties will be next on the cards. If you think that the 1922 treaty was divisive wait till you see the reaction if counties are proposed to be merged.

A Mayo/Sligo combination has a nice ring to it.  ;)