Nigel Dineen
19 (79.2%)
Dessie Farrell
5 (20.8%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on April 18, 2014, 12:53:04 PM
Quote from: ross4life on April 18, 2014, 02:01:09 AM
Our senior championship game against Leitrim is only 4 weeks away. Yes its not right to be doing fitness tests with U-21s before AI semi final however Evans has gone on record to say the senior team is the flagship & he wants the senior panel as best prepared as possible.

As for Saturday the team should be published later today. Kelly,Sweeney out. A hamstring strain for Conor Daly but expected to start along side his brother in half back line. Ultan Harney to be given a start also. Two well matched teams in what should be a high scoring exciting game. The very best of luck to the young Rossies on Saturday.
Forwards supposed to be reshuffled too but I wouldn't pay much heed to the programme numbers there.
I suspect Nigel was worried about midfield so Harney starts to try and get us an early foothold here.
Getting excited but nervous as Cork will be good.
Hopefully we're better and best wishes to all involved.

PS I wonder what sort of fitness tests were we doing that a lad got injured?

PPS Syfín - Senior is the flagship, always was, always will be. Apart from the 2 Counties involved the AI U21 final will be forgotten by the end of May - bit like the League. Mind you I still want to see us winning both.

P45 - When the two teams are in competition for players the one that isn't playing the ceremonial game is the one that's most important. All matches were not created equally. This 'flagship' shite was created by Evans as an excuse to use the U21s when he really shouldn't be, nothing more.

ross4life

Quote from: Syferus on April 18, 2014, 02:16:30 AM

But why would you be testing the fitness of a lad that has played an insane amount of football so far this year? Isn't that the opposite of being as prepared as possible?

To be as prepared as possible would to have a balance so that players aren't burnt out or injured in April in a season that hopefully stretches into Autumn. It's like Evans and other managers operate in a vacuum where perspective outside of what's happening in that given camp is completely lacking.

I've heard John trot out the flagship line. Get this - right now the U21s are the flagship county team and will be until their season ends. The seniors had their job done in mid-March. I'm pretty sure everyone in Roscommon would take even a shot at winning the U21 AI over beating Cavan in the league final and, really, Evans needs to accept and understand that.

Would have to ask the man himself to find answers though at the end of the day Evans is old school as is his right hand man Sheerin. It was a weekend training camp away Conor felt the hamstring strain last Friday & didn't partake other days its a injury that could have happened at U-21 training TBH. Evans and Co are already training the senior panel for the championship football which includes the use of the AIT facilities, at least we seem better prepared than other years.

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Rossfan

We're certainly in a better place preparation wise than the last 2 years anyway.
Now if only Evans would listen to Syfín...... Sam would be coming in no time.
Anyway let's sort out tomorrow first.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Syferus

You can do some things wrong and still be better prepared than we were, that's neither here nor there on this topic.

As I've said before, Evans has done an impressive job overall and is a man who bot knows his football and how to manage a football team.

The problems arise when there are other teams that require 'his' players, and their nemesis more pressing than his. This is a story that plays out at county level throughout the country but one I'd hoped we'd started to learn from. The only thing Conor Daly, Murt, Nally, Kelly, Donie and Enda should be concentrating I with regards football right now should be Cork and the U21 championship.

Itchy

tierworker blue

Fingers x'd for a good performance today...all roads lead to Portlaoise.
Since I started seeing my other half last year, just after the AIQF, Cavan have only lost 1 game and that was the Mc K Cup final. She wasn't really into the GAA at all before me (I've brought her to a few senior/u-21 games, and have her converted now!) but she thinks that us, going out and winning matches is completely the norm! If only she knew?!  :D
Let's hope she's right, and we pip the Dubs at the post today!

Syferus

On days like this you think of the people who can't be here, how proud greats like Dermot, Jimmy or Batt Lynch would be today, of people overseas listening in on radios, on the internet, hoping for good news to filter through, and players like Fintan Kelly, Fintan Sweeney, Kevin Finn and Cathal Compton who who have given so much to their counties and would love to be playing today but can't.

The day is beautiful and hopefully the football is more beautiful still.

Up Roscommon.

Westside

This is the combination of the best underage group of players we've had in Cavan in a long time, this could well be our Golden generation. Dublin have the superior individual talent but this Cavan side are greater than the sum of their parts. If.. IF we can bring this game to the point that the team who wants it more will win, we will go to the final.

Up Cavan.

theticklemister

Quote from: Syferus on April 19, 2014, 12:54:10 PM
On days like this you think of the people who can't be here, how proud greats like Dermot, Jimmy or Batt Lynch would be today, of people overseas listening in on radios, on the internet, hoping for good news to filter through, and players like Fintan Kelly, Fintan Sweeney, Kevin Finn and Cathal Compton who who have given so much to their counties and would love to be playing today but can't.

Up Roscommon.

Any wind down there?

Syferus

No predictions, just happy.

Keep 'er lit.

Zulu

HT Ros 0-11 Cork 0-5. After a very even first 10 minutes Ros have taken over and might be a bit disappointed they are not one or two more ahead. I'm not sure how strong the breeze is but Ros had it in the first half so Cork should have a bit more of the game in the second. In saying that all the main players are Ros men though so Cork have a long road back.

Syferus

Quote from: theticklemister on April 19, 2014, 03:33:01 PM
Quote from: Syferus on April 19, 2014, 12:54:10 PM

Up Roscommon.

Any wind down there?

A bit in our direction to start but it faded a good bit. Nothing too major. It was probably at its strongest when Cork scored those lovely points near the start.

Zulu

GalwayBayBoy

Cork not getting much love from the ref. A lot of marginal decisions going against them.

Zulu

Couple of very soft Ros frees keeping Cork at arms length but the tide has turned a bit now.