Previous topic - Next topic

Who would win in a street fight?

Nigel Dineen
19 (79.2%)
Dessie Farrell
5 (20.8%)

Total Members Voted: 24

mylestheslasher

The question on the Cavan v Dublin game I think comes down to how good Cavans defense is and how good Dublins forwards are. In my opinion if we can keep Dublin to a total of 12 points or so then we can win this game. My fear is that Dublin have a lot of advantages, many of which are down right unfair. The venue for one is a joke, a total sop to Dublin. The fact that they played their Leinster final a week before we played Ulster is also an advantage, they should be fresher and of course Dessie Farrell was able to attend the Ulster final and see what Donegal did to counter us.

My gut feeling is that despite all that, we will match Dublin at midfield and minus the creativity of Kilkenny Dublin might struggle against our defense. McVitty will surely do a man marking job on McCaffrey. Our full back line has kept McCurry and McBrearty quiet - there are hardly many better forwards at this level. If Dublin come onto us and we can turn them over and counter I think we could hit 15 points if we manage a goal.

This Cavan team really really want to win this out. I think it will be the last of our really strong U21 teams. If hunger and organisation are whats needed we have it in spades. Cavan by 1 or 2, maybe after extra time.

Westside

What changes would you make myles? I'd drop Bouchier and bring in Byrne or Hessin and let Argue take the frees. Or else bring in Galligan who is a good free taker too and offers good pace. Smith is probably pacier than McVeety for marking McCaffery but we want him free to play.

marym

In relation to the Cork under 21 team, they seem to be handy enough but their best player Cathal Vaughan has not played with them yet this year due to injury. They have a few of the UCC winning Sigerson team.

rodney trotter

They have 4 from UCC, Conor Dorman kicked the late winning score in the Sigerson final being one.7 of the team started in the all Ireland Semi last year against Cavan

Syferus

Some churn and yet they're still there again this year. The Cork manager had a bit of a go at the football on offer in the Ulster final in his interview with the Roscommon Herald this week. He also said that when people think of Connacht football they think of Galway and Mayo so he was on a bit of a roll.

Even though managers tend to play silly beggars before matches I'd tend to believe both managers are planning on keeping their word and playing attacking football on Saturday, both teams are at their best playing that sort of game.

These lads have had a hell of a lot of near misses at minor and U21 in recent years so I'd absolutely love them to be able to wash away their regrets with a win - their attitude, skill and perpetration has already made a massive impact on the senior team and just about everyone associated with Roscommon football is extremely proud of our young men.

I know they have more than enough talent to do it.

Blowitupref

Quote from: rodney trotter on April 16, 2014, 11:33:25 PM
They have 4 from UCC, Conor Dorman kicked the late winning score in the Sigerson final being one.7 of the team started in the all Ireland Semi last year against Cavan

Conor Dorman,Ian Maguire,Sean Kiely who am i missing?
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

rodney trotter

Still have a good spine down the middle from last years team. The Cork team was named earlier, Mark Sugre at centre forward did a lot of damage against Cavan last year, very physical player. Alan Cadogan brother of Eoin is a handy corner forward, and Dan McEoin in the other corner. Strong midfield with Ian Maguire, Conor Dorman at full back.

rodney trotter

Blowitupref

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

rodney trotter

Brian O Driscoll was half forward with UCC my bad..Don't think Cadogan played with the footballers this year, played with Ucc hurlers though. Alan Cronin was suspened

Kiely, Dorman.O Driscoll and Maguire were the 4

Syferus

Quote from: rodney trotter on April 17, 2014, 12:00:11 AM
Brian O Driscoll was half forward with UCC my bad..Don't think Cadogan played with the footballers this year, played with Ucc hurlers though. Alan Cronin was suspened

Kiely, Dorman.O Driscoll and Maguire were the 4

Read on the Cork forums Cadogan chose U21 county football to be the extent of his football commitments this year because of the time constraints of being a dual player.

Shrewdness

Roscommon have injury problems ahead of Saturday, all in the half back line. Another poster a few pages back, told us half a story about one of the U-21's who had got injured training with the senior team last week. For reasons best known to himself, he declined to name the player. The player in question is Conor Daly who has a hamstring injury and is almost certain to miss out. Fintan Kelly is definitly out, whilst Fintan Sweeney hasn't trained since the Connacht Final. Unless i'm mistaken, these three formed our starting half back line against Mayo.

Syferus

Quote from: Shrewdness on April 17, 2014, 04:45:15 PM
Roscommon have injury problems ahead of Saturday, all in the half back line. Another poster a few pages back, told us half a story about one of the U-21's who had got injured training with the senior team last week. For reasons best known to himself, he declined to name the player. The player in question is Conor Daly who has a hamstring injury and is almost certain to miss out. Fintan Kelly is definitly out, whilst Fintan Sweeney hasn't trained since the Connacht Final. Unless i'm mistaken, these three formed our starting half back line against Mayo.

They did but John Mac was the captain and missed that game through injury. We already knew Kelly was out and they are minding Sweeney who has an ankle/foot injury.

The extent of Conor's injury is the one I want to know more about. Always lots of Chinese whispers in this county before every big match, wouldn't be assuming he's out just yet. He's one of the best young players in the country and can play pretty much anywhere in the two half lines.

We do have lads like his brother and last year's minor captain, Ronan, or Conor Hussey so we're not stuck for talent, indeed starting someone like Kiloran, who has impressed at midfield but who maybe looks more suited to HB or HF on this team is an option as Nigel is conservative with regards starting players just out of minor.

Still, Conor would be a big loss so I hope he can pull through. We're not the only team with a few injuries.

Shrewdness

Syferus, have you heard the story about how Daly got injured? Supposedly happened while doing a fitness test, with the senior team, a week before an All Ireland semi final.

Syferus

Quote from: Shrewdness on April 17, 2014, 07:08:24 PM
Syferus, have you heard the story about how Daly got injured? Supposedly happened while doing a fitness test, with the senior team, a week before an All Ireland semi final.

That's what I heard, and the full rumour was even worse, saying Evans will play the U21s against Cavan in the league final even if we beat Cork.

I think Johneen has done some fine work with the seniors over the last year and a half and he certainly is not the only manager in the county bring reckless with young players. That said, these are the times where the county board need to have regulations that take these decisions out of managers' and players' (who will feel compelled to do what is asked lest they lose their places).

It's a miracle lads like Conor, Murt, Nally or Enda Smith have any chance of featuring on Saturday with the grueling schedules and competing influences they have to juggle.