Previous topic - Next topic

Who would win in a street fight?

Nigel Dineen
19 (79.2%)
Dessie Farrell
5 (20.8%)

Total Members Voted: 24

rodney trotter

And what about having a good defence, Every team Cavan have played this year has found it hard to break down Cavan. Having an array of scorers is an asset in the Cavan team. Donegal were totally reliant on McBrearty inside last year like Tyrone were this year with McCurry, and when he was covered up they were fairly limited.. Doesn't mean it will be like that this year - but depending on 1 or 2 players for scorers isn't as good as relying on 6 or 7.

I would expect Hayes to continue his form from last week

Westside

I'm not sure if Nevin O'Donnell made the panel for Wednesday. I take your point about McCurry but McBrearty is a completely different prospect, his physicality will be very hard to contain. Hard to know who will pick him up, I'd imagine Clarke or Faulkner.

Hopefully there's a big game in some of our forward line, Hayes carved himself out a few goal chances against Monaghan hopefully he can do the same Wednesday night. I read on Hoganstand that Dillon was sick for last week, if he was back it would be a big bonus.

Hard to believe Donegal are at 2/1 for this.

rodney trotter

People were worrying about the Cavan forwards at the start of last year, and were only a kick of a ball from making the All Ireland final..

Faulkner has been top class for the U21s  , well able to mark McBrearty if he is given the role. He would know McBrearty as they are both in Maynooth. Clarke might get it either.

Shrewdness

So now we know the two semi finals....Roscommon v Cork ...Dublin v Cavan...Can we expect Cork and Dublin to start as favourites?

Rossfan

They'll be roaring favourites of course  :D
RTÉ surpassed itself on non GAA coverage on the Radio sports bulletin this morning - Prime position given to an Ir English soccer team losing a European game as if two U21 Provincial Finals of the most popular sport in Ireland are of no concern to the so called National Public Station.
Then they whinge about the GAA  giving games to Sky  ::)
We'll have it all to do against Cork but the concession of 3 goals might suggest gaps in their defensive capabilities.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Quote from: Rossfan on April 10, 2014, 10:28:11 AM
RTÉ surpassed itself on non GAA coverage on the Radio sports bulletin this morning - Prime position given to an Ir English soccer team losing a European game as if two U21 Provincial Finals of the most popular sport in Ireland are of no concern to the so called National Public Station.
We'll have it all to do against Cork but the concession of 3 goals might suggest gaps in their defensive capabilities.

Cork have a chink in the armour in the fullback line for sure, but the rest of their team is very powerful. Their best forward up to now, Dan McEoin, was quiet enough last night, but then Alan Cadogan stepped up with 0-5 from play  in the other corner. Haven't seen this Roscommon team play but they will be doing well to beat Cork I would think.
"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

Syferus

Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on April 10, 2014, 10:42:05 AM

Cork have a chink in the armour in the fullback line for sure, but the rest of their team is very powerful. Their best forward up to now, Dan McEoin, was quiet enough last night, but then Alan Cadogan stepped up with 0-5 from play  in the other corner. Haven't seen this Roscommon play but they will be doing well to beat Cork I would think.

Doing well this year means winning the AI.

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Quote from: Syferus on April 10, 2014, 10:49:48 AM

Cork have a chink in the armour in the fullback line for sure, but the rest of their team is very powerful. Their best forward up to now, Dan McEoin, was quiet enough last night, but then Alan Cadogan stepped up with 0-5 from play  in the other corner. Haven't seen this Roscommon team play but they will be doing well to beat Cork I would think.

If Ross win the AI, it will be a huge achievement given the amount of Senior players available to both Dublin and Cork.

Syferus

Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on April 10, 2014, 10:59:29 AM

If Ross win the AI, it will be a huge achievement given the amount of Senior players available to both Dublin and Cork.

About a third of our starting U21 team are featuring for senior team. We've looked less than stellar without them in the last two games. Our players are every bit as talented as Dublin's. Don't know a whole lot about Cork but they are perinally good at this grade. We have the inside forwards to expose any FB line so I'd hope we can nail a few goals and work from there.

Rossfan

It would be a major achievement anyway no matter who we bate seeing as we only won 4 All Irelands across the 4 grades in the last 63 years.
Syfín - lets play the oul semi first. The players learned their lesson in the Sligo game but in Syferworld.........

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Quote from: Syferus on April 10, 2014, 01:12:46 PM

About a third of our starting U21 team are featuring for senior team. We've looked less than stellar without them in the last two games. Our players are every bit as talented as Dublin's. Don't know a whole lot about Cork but they are perinally good at this grade. We have the inside forwards to expose any FB line so I'd hope we can nail a few goals and work from there.

Like I said, haven't seen this Roscommon team play, but all due respect, how many of them have actually played Senior? Conor Daly, Smiths..anyone else? Cork have 4/5 lads who have played Div 1 league or c/ship with Cork. Dublin similarly if not more. That's a different level of football altogether.

Still, like I said, Cork are not without their faults so if Roscommon are smart enough and can cope with their pace, they could get a result.

Rossfan

Conor Daly, 2 Smiths, Diarmuid Murtagh, Nally, Fintan Kelly on the panel.
We've a good team but it all depends on how good Cork/Cavan/Dublin are.
At underage standards can vary from year to year from Province to Province so until the ball is thrown in for the AI semis you just never know.........

Johnnybegood

would they have given coverage had it been Dublin playing last night ?

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on April 10, 2014, 02:34:42 PM

It would be a major achievement anyway no matter who we bate seeing as we only won 4 All Irelands across the 4 grades in the last 63 years.
Syfín - lets play the oul semi first. The players learned their lesson in the Sligo game but in Syferworld.........

Where exactly did I say we'd even beat Cork? There's not a word of a lie in saying the team's target this year is now very definitely winning an AI, not putting in another battling and losing display in a semi or final.

Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on April 10, 2014, 04:58:36 PM
Quote from: Syferus on April 10, 2014, 01:12:46 PM

Like I said, haven't seen this Roscommon team play, but all due respect, how many of them have actually played Senior? Conor Daly, Smiths..anyone else? Cork have 4/5 lads who have played Div 1 league or c/ship with Cork. Dublin similarly if not more. That's a different level of football altogether.

Still, like I said, Cork are not without their faults so if Roscommon are smart enough and can cope with their pace, they could get a result.

Diarmuid Murtagh has been exceptional for us at senior this year, probably our best inside forward at senior this year (Cregg plays a free role) and Senan has been in great form so that is no mean feat for someone who was a minor last year. Nally has started and featured in the league while Kelly was named to start the Sligo NFL game last Sunday but an injury in the Connacht final the day before prevented him from starting.

And Thomas Corcoran.. he's probably our best midfielder at any county grade and probably should be starting for the seniors on merit and indeed could feature in the summer.

I know how good Dublin's senior lads are but we have players that are in no way inferior to them or raw. That said, I wouldn't be terribly shocked if Cavan are the team that comes out of that side of the draw, all four teams can win this AI.

Rossfan

Quote from: Syferus on April 10, 2014, 07:12:16 PM

Where exactly did I say we'd even beat Cork? [/quote]

;)