Who would win in a street fight?

Nigel Dineen
19 (79.2%)
Dessie Farrell
5 (20.8%)

Total Members Voted: 24

seafoid

Quote from: rodney trotter on April 06, 2014, 12:19:30 PM
Cavan scored 3-10 against Derry, and 1-11 against Tyrone, the conditions were terrible against Monaghan hence the low score.
Cavan surely deserve a title after the efforts of the last few years. Ros don't have the self confidence of Galway  either, Syfin output notwithstanding. 

Syferus

Quote from: seafoid on April 06, 2014, 12:45:47 PM
Quote from: rodney trotter on April 06, 2014, 12:19:30 PM
Cavan scored 3-10 against Derry, and 1-11 against Tyrone, the conditions were terrible against Monaghan hence the low score.
Cavan surely deserve a title after the efforts of the last few years. Ros don't have the self confidence of Galway  either, Syfin output notwithstanding.

You'd want to tell the lads, I think they've forgotten.

rodney trotter

Have to win Ulster first, Donegal will be looking for revenge from last year

Shrewdness

Won't accept that Ros beat a ''poor'' Mayo team. They have some excellent players on that team such as Adam Gallagher, Evan Regan, Diarmuid O'Connor to name just three. It didn't happen for them against Ros, but that doesn't automatically make them a poor team.

Itchy

Quote from: tommysmith on April 06, 2014, 12:15:43 PM
Cavan been talked up to much haven't got the forwards to worry the better teams. Will do well to get over Donegal.

Who is talking them up? They've done well but most cavan fans will say we are short a top forward or two. It seems Roscommon are the real deal. When they sneak past Sligo despite being 1/50 its because Sligo are Brilliant. I never met a team supported by bad losers and even worse, bad winners. Wait and see, when they eventually lose it'll be the bad manager, a lucky goal but never beaten by a better team.

Itchy

Quote from: Shrewdness on April 06, 2014, 12:54:33 PM
Won't accept that Ros beat a ''poor'' Mayo team. They have some excellent players on that team such as Adam Gallagher, Evan Regan, Diarmuid O'Connor to name just three. It didn't happen for them against Ros, but that doesn't automatically make them a poor team.

Maybe poor is the wrong word. Average maybe.

Syferus

Quote from: Itchy on April 06, 2014, 01:01:16 PM
Cavan been talked up to much haven't got the forwards to worry the better teams. Will do well to get over Donegal.

Who is talking them up? They've done well but most cavan fans will say we are short a top forward or two. It seems Roscommon are the real deal. When they sneak past Sligo despite being 1/50 its because Sligo are Brilliant. I never met a team supported by bad losers and even worse, bad winners. Wait and see, when they eventually lose it'll be the bad manager, a lucky goal but never beaten by a better team.

Feck getting revenge for 2012 by reaching the final and beating Dublin - I want Cavan.

tommysmith

Who is talking them up? They've done well but most cavan fans will say we are short a top forward or two. It seems Roscommon are the real deal. When they sneak past Sligo despite being 1/50 its because Sligo are Brilliant. I never met a team supported by bad losers and even worse, bad winners. Wait and see, when they eventually lose it'll be the bad manager, a lucky goal but never beaten by a
better team.

Captain obvious anyway . I don't bother reading what the rossies spout they talk through their arses.

Westside

I'd have to agree with tommy, Cavan will do well to get past Donegal. We don't have an inside forward that would make it onto a Division 3 Senior side. We had the possession and the opportunities to beat Roscommon out the gate in the Hastings Cup but couldn't finish, they made the most of limited chances and got the win. We place perhaps too much focus on defensive qualities, it has made us difficult to beat and we are competitive again but to take that next step to start winning Championships and competing with top sides at Senior level, we need to unearth a few quality players in the 13-15 jerseys.

rodney trotter

Quote from: Westside on April 06, 2014, 03:41:01 PM
I'd have to agree with tommy, Cavan will do well to get past Donegal. We don't have an inside forward that would make it onto a Division 3 Senior side. We had the possession and the opportunities to beat Roscommon out the gate in the Hastings Cup but couldn't finish, they made the most of limited chances and got the win. We place perhaps too much focus on defensive qualities, it has made us difficult to beat and we are competitive again but to take that next step to start winning Championships and competing with top sides at Senior level, we need to unearth a few quality players in the 13-15 jerseys.

Tom Hayes was probaly Cavan best player against Monaghan at Corner forward, winning his own ball, creating chances and taking scores.  Only 18. Conor Madden is a very good prospect, but currently injured.

Might not have a Paddy McBrearty or Cormac Coestolloe but Cavan didnt make the Ulster final for nothing. Plenty of players in the Cavan team are capable of scoring not reliant on one or 2 players, half backs Smith Moyangh, Argue in midfield, Darragh McVeety, Paul Graham, Kevin Bouchier, good array of scorers.

ross4life

When they sneak past Sligo despite being 1/50 its because Sligo are Brilliant. I never met a team supported by bad losers and even worse, bad winners. Wait and see, when they eventually lose it'll be the bad manager, a lucky goal but never beaten by a better team.
Talk about painting us rossies all with the same brush  ::)

You should know better not to rate underage teams on underage odds. For example Mayo minors in 2012 only sneaked past Sligo & that Mayo side should have reached the All Ireland final.

Quote from: rodney trotter on April 06, 2014, 11:09:30 AM
Don't think they would have fared that well to be honest. Getting hammered at home in a championship game doesn't suggest they would have done better up in Derry
It's been said Cavan don't have forward power so how strong are Derry if they conceded 3-10 against you? 
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

rodney trotter

Quote from: ross4life on April 06, 2014, 05:10:32 PM
When they sneak past Sligo despite being 1/50 its because Sligo are Brilliant. I never met a team supported by bad losers and even worse, bad winners. Wait and see, when they eventually lose it'll be the bad manager, a lucky goal but never beaten by a better team.
Talk about painting us rossies all with the same brush  ::)

You should know better not to rate underage teams on underage odds. For example Mayo minors in 2012 only sneaked past Sligo & that Mayo side should have reached the All Ireland final.

Quote from: rodney trotter on April 06, 2014, 11:09:30 AM
Don't think they would have fared that well to be honest. Getting hammered at home in a championship game doesn't suggest they would have done better up in Derry
It's been said Cavan don't have forward power so how strong are Derry if they conceded 3-10 against you?

Was a good Derry team,they gifted Cavan 2 goals which was a big help.

ross4life

Quote from: rodney trotter on April 06, 2014, 05:16:08 PM

If you say so but i can't recall any of the Derry minor teams standing out over the last three years. Looking at the results in 2011 which i presume is mostly Derry's U-21 team this year lost to Fermanagh by 5 points at home.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

rodney trotter

Quote from: ross4life on April 06, 2014, 05:28:27 PM
Quote from: rodney trotter on April 06, 2014, 05:16:08 PM

If you say so but i can't recall any of the Derry minor teams standing out over the last three years. Looking at the results in 2011 which i presume is mostly Derry's U-21 team this year lost to Fermanagh by 5 points at home.

They were highlly rated in 2011, it was a shock defeat to Fermanagh at the time. The lads on the Derry thread will tell you they were a good side, but probaly didnt have the same collective training as what Cavan had. 6 players on the Derry Senior panel. Also Ballinderry doing well this year would also have affected Derry u21, McKinless and Bell being some who were involved, meant they wouldn't have done much trianing with Derry U21s.s

Pats Maghera doing well at schools football affects Derry Minors as they dont have those players until the schools football is over ,and not much time to build a team for the championship..

Maghera had one of the best schools teams i ever saw last year winning the Hogan, Derry clearly would have had a decent Minor team if they had those players for a longer period

Shrewdness

Okay, why don't we all forget about the various merits or otherwise of Mayo and Derry and focus on the only 6 teams still in with a chance of winning the All Ireland...Have to acknowledge the significance of Cavan going for four in a row in Ulster. A brilliant achievement in a province that is always very competitive at underage level.