GAA doing a deal with SkySports

Started by thejuice, March 27, 2014, 02:35:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on May 06, 2015, 03:33:28 AM
Quote from: rrhf on May 05, 2015, 09:23:47 PM
I would suggest that he will have more cleverness and insight to offer than the topless darts style of punditry  favoured by Rte.

That's an awful thing to say about topless darts.

Whoa! Rewind.

Tell me more about this topless darts....
MWWSI 2017

johnneycool

Quote from: muppet on May 06, 2015, 02:41:47 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on May 06, 2015, 03:33:28 AM
Quote from: rrhf on May 05, 2015, 09:23:47 PM
I would suggest that he will have more cleverness and insight to offer than the topless darts style of punditry  favoured by Rte.

That's an awful thing to say about topless darts.

Whoa! Rewind.

Tell me more about this topless darts....

Don't know what you were missing;

Was it the first go at Cable TV in Belfast, Cabletel or something or other where you got a set top box and one of the free channels was LiveTV which had two ladies playing darts with their front bits on display. To spruce it up a bit, they changed the location, an ice rink somewhere and when the budget allowed, a fancy moon set IIRC.

rrhf can confirm.

rrhf

Two tits throwing sharp points around...

easytiger95

Probably the funniest book I ever read.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Live-TV-Telly-Topless-Tabloid/dp/0671015745

I was working in the "meejah" at the time and it rang so true.

fearglasmor

Quote from: JoG2 on May 05, 2015, 02:50:32 PM
Quote from: Minder on May 05, 2015, 12:47:16 PM
Jim McGuinness & JJ Delaney have joined the team

does his level best to ruin the sport, then join's Murdoch's Sky trying to promote the thing. Good man Jim !

Sky are not trying to promote GAA. They are trying to market a product offering to their customers. Theres an interesting piece on the front page of the sports section of the sindo today. A guy called Steve Smith Head of Production at Sky Sports talking about Skys GAA coverage.
What struck me when reading was that the debate about professionalism in the GAA is long over.  Now its a question of when and how.
The GAA have sold our games as a commercial product with commercial value on yhe open market. To create a product with commercial value requires the acquisition of resources. These resources also command a commercial value. It will not happen quickly but more like glacial flow or the shifting of tectonic plates. At some point there will have to be an earthquake and we will all realise the ground has shifted beneath our feet.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: easytiger95 on May 08, 2015, 05:42:48 PM

Remember Tiffany Banister and her big city tips? Hot girl would read out the latest financial news while taking off her. She'd start off all buttoned up with the hair tied up and wearing glasses. By the time she was done she was down to her bra and the last thing she did was let the hair down while updating us on the FTSE 100 share index and give a sexy wink.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: fearglasmor on May 10, 2015, 11:25:37 AM
Sky are not trying to promote GAA. They are trying to market a product offering to their customers.

And in order to market the product to their customers they have to promote GAA.

muppet

Quote from: easytiger95 on May 08, 2015, 05:42:48 PM

Can't argue with £0.01 in fairness.
MWWSI 2017

BennyHarp

Any of you lads in Britain thinking of signing up to Premier Sports, I got this text today from them offering 2 months for £1. Will get me through to nearly August.

Watch 25 GAA Championship games on TV!
Use promo code: GAAONE and get 2 month subscription for only £1.
Subscribe at www.premiersports.tv or call 0871 663 9000.

That was never a square ball!!

GJL

Doing a great job this year I think. Their post game analysis of the game in comparison to RTE is light years ahead. The Sunday Game people really should watch and learn how it is really done as their effort is getting embarrassing for a so called national broadcaster.

trileacman

I agree, cracking presentation and analysis is top drawer and this comes from a person who was a big critic when this was 1st announced.

Can someone explain how the RTE hurling analysts are so much more positive than their football counterparts? Kilkenny beat Waterford in one of the most boring games of hurling I've ever laid eyes on. There was next to no passion and the Waterford "sweeper" tactics made for grim viewing. Yet after the game not a single man seen fit to declare the death of hurling imminent or criticise Waterford for bastardising the national sport, in fact they hardly mentioned any of it in a negative light at all.

What's it now for Kilkenny? 14 finals in 17 years or something similar? Where's the outcry against the lack of competitiveness in the hurling AI? I mean jesus, Dublin win 3 AI's in 25 years or so and suddenly the collapse of gaelic football is supposedly upon us.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

johnneycool

does his level best to ruin the sport, then join's Murdoch's Sky trying to promote the thing. Good man Jim !

Sky are not trying to promote GAA. They are trying to market a product offering to their customers. Theres an interesting piece on the front page of the sports section of the sindo today. A guy called Steve Smith Head of Production at Sky Sports talking about Skys GAA coverage.
What struck me when reading was that the debate about professionalism in the GAA is long over.  Now its a question of when and how.
The GAA have sold our games as a commercial product with commercial value on yhe open market. To create a product with commercial value requires the acquisition of resources. These resources also command a commercial value. It will not happen quickly but more like glacial flow or the shifting of tectonic plates. At some point there will have to be an earthquake and we will all realise the ground has shifted beneath our feet.

Remember it well from my student days when Cabletel hit the holylands back in the day. Everything stopped for the topless darts and business news on Live TV. I think even the weather girl removed some items of clothing.
It was so bad it was good, heck even saw it mentioned the other night on Channel 5 or something about the worst TV shows of the 90's.

qz

Sky are doing a helluva better job on promoting GAA throughout forensic match analysis. It's a product I'd rather enjoy than the tabloid trash talkers on RTE.

JoG2

Quote from: qz on August 11, 2015, 03:00:06 PM

Sky are doing a helluva better job on promoting GAA throughout forensic match analysis. It's a product I'd rather enjoy than the tabloid trash talkers on RTE.

to a lot less viewers, known in the business as ar$e about face promotion  :)