san francisco california usa

Started by pullhard, February 21, 2014, 07:56:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pullhard

Just booked a few weeks, always fancied going, so now i am. What are the do's, must do's and must see's? any good pubs or clubs?

pbat

Its a great city, ended there in 2004 by mistake and we loved it that much we have returned 3 times.

If you have a nice clear dry day then hire a bike at fisherman's wharf an cycle across the bridge and down into the small village of sausalito, it has some cool restaurants in it, then take the ferry back across the bay.

Alcatraz is a great trip, you should do it.

There is loads of great bars around the wharf, and there is a couple of good Irish Bars,  on Geary Street. Ireland's 32 had lovely staff and was great craic. Abbey nightclub beside Ireland's 32 was rough and ready but we had a great laugh in it.

armaghniac

QuoteAlcatraz is a great trip, you should do it.

Do book it in advance, it is often booked out some time ahead.
I did the night tour with Blue and Gold.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Puckoon

I'm sitting here looking out at union square from my hotel. Took a few days off and come over the hill to treat the wife for her birthday. Lots to do lots to see. Johnny Foleys Irish house is our regular jaunt. Cool bar downstairs that runs dueling pianos wed-Sunday. $7.75 for a pint of Magners thoigh so it adds up. Always fun to take a trip down to fishermans wharf and to be honest I just love slandering around the place. A day trip over to sausilito is lovely and of course Alcatraz is a must on a visit. Vallejo just outside and six flags marine world is a worthy day also.

armaghniac

The Ghirardelli chocolate place is good too, including their ice cream!
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

theskull1

Get a training session with the Gaels on the army base...I'm sure Eamonnca1 will oblige.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

pullhard

Quote from: Puckoon on February 21, 2014, 09:10:42 PM
I'm sitting here looking out at union square from my hotel. Took a few days off and come over the hill to treat the wife for her birthday. Lots to do lots to see. Johnny Foleys Irish house is our regular jaunt. Cool bar downstairs that runs dueling pianos wed-Sunday. $7.75 for a pint of Magners thoigh so it adds up. Always fun to take a trip down to fishermans wharf and to be honest I just love slandering around the place. A day trip over to sausilito is lovely and of course Alcatraz is a must on a visit. Vallejo just outside and six flags marine world is a worthy day also.

Thats a lot coin for a pint! always fancied a bike ride across the bridge. Any decent jazz or blues bars?

laoislad

Quote from: pullhard on February 21, 2014, 09:53:33 PM
Quote from: Puckoon on February 21, 2014, 09:10:42 PM

Thats a lot coin for a pint!
Especially for a pint of piss.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

theskull1

+1

Great micro brewery culture in the area. Enjoy the link local ales

Rois

Hire a bike and cross the Golden Gate Bridge and have lunch in Sausalito. Then take the ferry back with the bikes.

pullhard

Will defo do the cycle over the bridge, views back must be amazing. the rock is on the cards and the chocolate tour sounds great. any more?

Planning to stay around union square good clubs or bars?

theskull1

Cheesecake factory rooftop restaurant ....think its on union square

Eamonnca1

Quote from: pullhard on February 21, 2014, 11:35:53 PM
Will defo do the cycle over the bridge, views back must be amazing. the rock is on the cards and the chocolate tour sounds great. any more?

Wrap up warm when cycling over the bridge. Always bring a jacket and a handful of layers, no matter how hot it looks. Once that  fog rolls in the temperature can drop like a stone.

pullhard

Where is best in the city for a 'taste' of america? I have a allergy to shellfish so need to avoid these!

Eamonnca1

There's a ton of great eating houses all over the city. Personal favorites of mine include Gracias Madre, which is all vegan but still worth checking out even if you're not vegan, and a shitty looking little Taqueria also on Mission, I think it's near 16th. (I'd count Mexican food as a taste of America these days in the same way that Indian food is a taste of England.) Johnny Foley's is very good, but it's an Irish pub so probably not a taste of America. For that you could always go to Mel's Diner.