Housing in NI in the 50s query

Started by bennydorano, February 06, 2014, 08:38:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bennydorano

Had a random conversation with my mum today that came round to housing discrimination in the 50's. She was telling me in response to Stormont' s discriminatory policies the Catholic Church in the area helped fund and build houses in Armagh (St Brigid' s Hill). All the work was done by volunteers and the houses sold at cost price to families with the greatest need (guessing having kids was the main criteria, but you also had to be able to pay for the house).

Have to say this was the first I've ever heard of this (I did A Level History too!), was this unique to Armagh or common across Nl in that era? Did I Mitch too much school?

armaghniac

While fully supported by Stormont, housing policy was down to the Local Authority, and the situation varied greatly from place to place.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

bennydorano

The Catholic Church involvement angle is what i'm interested in. Apparently the houses in St Brigid's hill were referred to as parish / parochial houses.

bennydorano

Bump. Where are all the school teachers & historical society buffs.

lawnseed

First I heard of this. I heard that the "taylor cottages" that were built as semis in rows of ten had to be occupied by 8 prods before the last two of the group could be given to catholic tennants
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

el_cuervo_fc

Quote from: bennydorano on February 06, 2014, 09:31:58 PM
The Catholic Church involvement angle is what i'm interested in. Apparently the houses in St Brigid's hill were referred to as parish / parochial houses.

First I heard of this. This was where I lived for my first 11 years too.

The Iceman

Quote from: lawnseed on February 07, 2014, 11:49:33 AM
First I heard of this. I heard that the "taylor cottages" that were built as semis in rows of ten had to be occupied by 8 prods before the last two of the group could be given to catholic tennants
that certainly is not true in armagh. The taylor cottages I know of had no protestants in them at all or at any time.

I asked about st brigids hill but my Da hadn't heard - very interesting!
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

bennydorano

It is interesting, mentioned it to a few Armachians in work & it was news to all of  them too. My Da assures me it was the case, he helped build them, but as him & my mum had only then recently married & had no kids, they weren't considered for a house.

The Iceman

let us know what more you find out benny? very interested in this old history of the town, particularly that area for obvious reasons
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

The Iceman

was talking to one of the Nugents from St Brigid's hill and they confirmed Benny. Their Granda worked on it too. I'll get more info from them if I can. Good find!

Ulick

Quote from: bennydorano on February 06, 2014, 08:38:28 PM
Had a random conversation with my mum today that came round to housing discrimination in the 50's. She was telling me in response to Stormont' s discriminatory policies the Catholic Church in the area helped fund and build houses in Armagh (St Brigid' s Hill). All the work was done by volunteers and the houses sold at cost price to families with the greatest need (guessing having kids was the main criteria, but you also had to be able to pay for the house).

Have to say this was the first I've ever heard of this (I did A Level History too!), was this unique to Armagh or common across Nl in that era? Did I Mitch too much school?

Was common enough but I wouldn't give credit to the 'Church' but individual Orders. In Lurgan the houses in Warren St were rented out at around £1 per month right up until the 90s by the Sisters of Mercy in the convent next door. Mary St and the top part of Brownlow Terrace in Freecrow were let on a similar basis although these were demolished in the early 80s.