Westmeath and Roscommon to ground share in Athlone?

Started by From the Bunker, December 17, 2013, 08:22:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ross4life

Quote from: Syferus on December 18, 2013, 01:38:09 PM
Renovating the Hyde properly will cost much the same as building a UEFA-class stadium.

But if we want to make a half-arsed job of it, sure let's keep the stand that's a mile away from the stand and the main terrence with only the vaguest hint of cover.
Yeah if you wanted UEFA-class stadium. The three terraces are fine the stand side,old Hyde centre and toilet facilities need the most work for example O'Connor Park in Tullamore is a good example of upgraded ground. Once the Hyde park ownership issues is sorted out the work will start but it remains to seen what type of funding we will get...

Quote from: shark on December 17, 2013, 09:05:17 PM
Not gonna happen in a million years.  Paper never refuses ink.

Most of what Curran says is tongue in cheek so its hard to know if he is serious or not. Centre of excellence for both is decent idea and more likely than shared ground.

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Syferus

It's pretty easy to tell when Cake is codding and he's being serious.

The terrace is average at best and it provides almost zero cover. Unless you've got some machine that can lift the stand and move it in twenty feet it's a massive and costly issue, and that's not even getting to its own issues with planning. If you think renovating a 32,000 capacity ground from it's near derelict current state - it's alarming how much the ground has went in the wrong direction the mast 18 months - is going to be something that can be done without accruing Galway or Mayo levels of debt then you're dead wrong.

The reality is a ground share makes far more sense - for most midland counties, nevermind the Athlone area's dire need for a top quality stadium - than going it alone but everyone knows politics will make that nigh-on impossible unless some people in charge have a lot of guts and look outside their boxes.

ross4life

Quote from: Syferus on December 18, 2013, 06:31:15 PM

The terrace is average at best and it provides almost zero cover. Unless you've got some machine that can lift the stand and move it in twenty feet it's a massive and costly issue, and that's not even getting to its own issues with planning. If you think renovating a 32,000 capacity ground from it's near derelict current state - it's alarming how much the ground has went in the wrong direction the mast 18 months - is going to be something that can be done without accruing Galway or Mayo levels of debt then you're dead wrong.

The reality is a ground share makes far more sense - for most midland counties, nevermind the Athlone area's dire need for a top quality stadium - than going it alone but everyone knows politics will make that nigh-on impossible unless some people in charge have a lot of guts and look outside their boxes.

I know Shane Curran since he was teen working in Scahills stores. 99% of the stuff he says is tongue in cheek or pure banter stuff. With this new column he has the Westmeath Independent he'll be delighted with all the interest its getting..

Not as much needs to be done with Hyde park as you reckon, you must remember Hyde park comfortably hosted the 2011,2012 Connacht finals. You can continue to debate this topic if you like however ourselves & Westmeath will be doing our own thing thats the reality of the situation.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

muppet

Curran is probably angling to merge Westmeath and Roscommon in the long run.

Westmon?
Rosmeath?

I presume the merged entity would play in the Connacht net.
MWWSI 2017

neilthemac

At least there'd be a few senior All Irelands senior titles between the two

muppet

Quote from: neilthemac on December 18, 2013, 07:44:27 PM

Good to see someone at least willing to consider the idea rather than running with the shoal.
MWWSI 2017

Syferus

Quote from: ross4life on December 18, 2013, 07:17:15 PM

I know Shane Curran since he was teen working in Scahills stores. 99% of the stuff he says is tongue in cheek or pure banter stuff. With this new column he has the Westmeath Independent he'll be delighted with all the interest its getting..

Not as much needs to be done with Hyde park as you reckon, you must remember Hyde park comfortably hosted the 2011,2012 Connacht finals. You can continue to debate this topic if you like however ourselves & Westmeath will be doing our own thing thats the reality of the situation.

Sure me dah knows him since he was a glint in Tommy's eye. Now that that's out of the way, this has gone national: http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2013/1217/493494-curran-proposes-new-shared-stadium/

Really the more you think about it the more sense it makes. It'll take a brave county to run with an idea like this but in the long run they would be seen in a very positive light. We really have to pause and think is renovating the Hyde the best bang for our buck because I really don't see how it is. I don't want us to end up the next Kildare or Mayo, we'd be saddled with an unpayable debt just so we could have a ground that only once every few years - home or neural Connacht senior finals - will have its capacity taxed.

If we can't be the richest we have to be the nimblest if we're to compete and something like this is exactly the sort of big idea that fits the bill.

moysider

You move/ realign the pitch and leave the stand where it is!

I think a proper pitch in Athlone is a great idea. Not just for Ros. Westmeath either. A proper stadium with parking, rail links etc. in the middle of the country is a no-brainer and should be funded by Croke Park. It should have been done in the first place instead of building 3/4 of a stadium in the middle of a congested city and all the attending planning problems and local appeasement issues that went with it. Especially when Croke Park was not going to have a future for rugby and football internationals.

If we re to host a rugby world cup a new stadium in Athlone might pick up a bit of funding from there as well.

magpie seanie

Quote from: muppet on December 18, 2013, 07:56:04 PM
Quote from: neilthemac on December 18, 2013, 07:44:27 PM

Good to see someone at least willing to consider the idea rather than running with the shoal.

Stranger things have happened. Cute move by the Rossies. If (when) the mergers start they will want to be well "distanced" from Laythrum....

The suggestion is just the ramblings of Cake but the reaction to it and the fact it has gone "national" is interesting.

Rossfan

Quote from: moysider on December 19, 2013, 12:00:03 PM

The terrace is average at best and it provides almost zero cover. Unless you've got some machine that can lift the stand and move it in twenty feet .

You move/ realign the pitch and leave the stand where it is!

Correct.
Remove the front half of the open concrete seats, Concrete the back half, put in seats and incorporate into the Stand. Extend the Stand all the length of the field, put offices/treatment/admin under the new wing and have the players come out through it too.
Meanwhile move your pitch a few metres south( we're going to have to put in a new pitch with proper drainage anyway) and while we're at it roof the middle third of the terrace.
Meanwhile if Cakeen and his mates in the rich South want to cosy up to the crowd across the river and the soccer/rubbys to have some kind os an Athlone Regional Sports Centre let them at it.
Best of luck to them in trying to get any soccer crowd to pay anything though  :-\
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

ross4life

Quote from: Syferus on December 18, 2013, 10:56:07 PM
Sure me dah knows him since he was a glint in Tommy's eye. Now that that's out of the way, this has gone national: http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2013/1217/493494-curran-proposes-new-shared-stadium/

Really the more you think about it the more sense it makes. It'll take a brave county to run with an idea like this but in the long run they would be seen in a very positive light. We really have to pause and think is renovating the Hyde the best bang for our buck because I really don't see how it is. I don't want us to end up the next Kildare or Mayo, saddled with an unpayable debt just so we can have a ground that only once every few years - home or neural Connacht senior finals - will have its capacity taxed.

If we can't be the richest we have to be the nimblest if we're to compete and something like this is exactly the sort of big idea that fits the bill.
Gone national you say? sure Cake getting himself carried off the field went world wide...

As i said already a shared centre of excellence could be something to look at & something that Westmeath may agree on. Our Neighbours would never be interested in shared ground, i can't imagine any Cake ideas will be brought up at any of their meetings either & it seems our lads are more interested in getting the Hyde redeveloped & getting the in county training centre up and running but its very doubtful if we'll ever reach the UEFA standards that you & Cake are looking for.

AZOffaly

Lads I can't see how a shared centre of excellence would be able to cope with demand. I think it's a fine idea in principle but know how hard it is to get into the training facility in thurles during the spring, summer and even autumn. Factor in U14, U15, U16, U17 along with minor, intermediates/juniors and U21 and seniors. Now multiply by 2 for hurling and football. Now multiply by 2 again for 2 counties.

It's dicey enough negotiating with different squads in your own county for slots, never mind a county in competition with you!

Syferus

Quote from: ross4life on December 19, 2013, 07:50:18 PM
Quote from: Syferus on December 18, 2013, 10:56:07 PM

Really the more you think about it the more sense it makes. It'll take a brave county to run with an idea like this but in the long run they would be seen in a very positive light. We really have to pause and think is renovating the Hyde the best bang for our buck because I really don't see how it is. I don't want us to end up the next Kildare or Mayo, saddled with an unpayable debt just so we can have a ground that only once every few years - home or neural Connacht senior finals - will have its capacity taxed.

Gone national you say? sure Cake getting himself carried off the field went world wide...

As i said already a shared centre of excellence could be something to look at & something that Westmeath may agree on. Our Neighbours would never be interested in shared ground, i can't imagine any Cake ideas will be brought up at any of their meetings either & it seems our lads are more interested in getting the Hyde redeveloped & getting the in county training centre up and running but its very doubtful if we'll ever reach the UEFA standards that you & Cake are looking for.

Good one. We both know "our lads" have been in limbo for nigh-on two decades.

The idea that someone could say any potentially interested parties aren't interested when it hasn't even been properly proposed and discussed smacks a tad of insularity. The reaction to the idea shows there's more than enough there for it to be addressed and looked into at an official level. It really would be incompetence if an interesting idea like this is just swept under the carpet, particularly when the debt mountain that is going to be the proper redevelopment of the Hyde is the 'patriotic' option.

It's very easy to get anyone interested if the figures stack up.

Donnellys Hollow

Didn't Westmeath announce a while ago that they are doing up the stand in Cusack Park?
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

ross4life

Quote from: AZOffaly on December 19, 2013, 08:07:16 PM
Lads I can't see how a shared centre of excellence would be able to cope with demand. I think it's a fine idea in principle but know how hard it is to get into the training facility in thurles during the spring, summer and even autumn. Factor in U14, U15, U16, U17 along with minor, intermediates/juniors and U21 and seniors. Now multiply by 2 for hurling and football. Now multiply by 2 again for 2 counties.

It's dicey enough negotiating with different squads in your own county for slots, never mind a county in competition with you!

Sure Prentys palace in Bekan is suppose to cater for all counties in Connacht.

Quote from: Syferus on December 19, 2013, 08:09:49 PM

Good one. We both know "our lads" have been in limbo for nigh-on two decades.

Looks like someone didn't attend or even read the info from our last meeting.