Question for Kildare folks

Started by whitey, November 30, 2013, 02:49:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: Syferus on November 30, 2013, 03:47:35 PM
Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on November 30, 2013, 02:25:34 PM
Quote from: Syferus on November 30, 2013, 02:17:14 PM
To be fair there's nothing pretigious about Ivy League college football teams.

According to the NCAA's own statistics, 5.7% or 1 in 17 high school football players will play College football at Division 1A, 1AA, 2 or 3. That is pretty "prestigious" by anyone's definition.
I thought the self proclaimed "knowledgeable college football fan" of the board would know that or was that claim bullsh*t like  all the rest of your posts?

Pretty much all Ivy League universities don't offer athletic scholarships so the best players never appear in their ranks. It's all walk-on - you make it academically and you can try out for the ball team. It has frig all to do with what percentage does or doesn't play college ball overall. College football and entry requirements for given colleges are so fragmented the figures you quote mean very little without context.

This guy is clearly a smart cookie if he's attending an Ivy League school but I was just glibly correcting the perception that Ivy League college football teams themselves are prestigious in the overall sense, they're some of the lowliest teams in football in terms of major universities and plenty of smaller colleges would beat them up for fun.

Doesn't mean the lad shouldn't want to stay fit, and indeed this post is more about putting you back in your venomous little box than about him. Don't spout facts without knowledge.

I wish the lad well and, who knows, he could be the next Jeremy Lin.

I'm sorry but you're wrong again .They are not just mere walk-ons. The  financial aid options which Ivy league schools offer are nearly identical to scholarship offers and mean that unless the student athletes family are earning serious dough,they won't have to pay a dime.
Have a read of this and educate yourself on Ivy league recruiting and financial aid packages before making pathetic comments like your first one on this thread .         
http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/athletic-recruits/1432852-ivy-league-football-recruit.html
http://money.howstuffworks.com/personal-finance/college-planning/admissions/ivy-league-admissions5.htm

Not all football players/athletes would get into these prestigious colleges on their grades, Ivy league schools are allowed to make exceptions for athletes just like other colleges.

Jinxy

Quote from: whitey on November 30, 2013, 05:44:46 PM
Thanks for the info-I will pass it along

The reason I mentioned where he went to College, is that Ivy Leagues have deep pockets, hence unvelievable facilities-check this out:

http://news.brown.edu/pressreleases/2012/05/fitness

I dont know if he would be D1 standard, but he could definitely have played higher level football (than Ivy Leagus) at a less prestigous school.  So few players make the pros, he made the trade off to play at Brown, get an Ivy League education and rolodex that comes along with it

For what its worth, his dad went to the same school, and to my knowledge is the only Irish born footballer to play in the NFL.

There's more to life than owning a fancy watch whitey.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Syferus

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on November 30, 2013, 06:42:14 PM

According to the NCAA's own statistics, 5.7% or 1 in 17 high school football players will play College football at Division 1A, 1AA, 2 or 3. That is pretty "prestigious" by anyone's definition.
I thought the self proclaimed "knowledgeable college football fan" of the board would know that or was that claim bullsh*t like  all the rest of your posts?

Pretty much all Ivy League universities don't offer athletic scholarships so the best players never appear in their ranks. It's all walk-on - you make it academically and you can try out for the ball team. It has frig all to do with what percentage does or doesn't play college ball overall. College football and entry requirements for given colleges are so fragmented the figures you quote mean very little without context.

This guy is clearly a smart cookie if he's attending an Ivy League school but I was just glibly correcting the perception that Ivy League college football teams themselves are prestigious in the overall sense, they're some of the lowliest teams in football in terms of major universities and plenty of smaller colleges would beat them up for fun.

Doesn't mean the lad shouldn't want to stay fit, and indeed this post is more about putting you back in your venomous little box than about him. Don't spout facts without knowledge.

I'm sorry but you're wrong again .They are not just mere walk-ons. The  financial aid options which Ivy league schools offer are nearly identical to scholarship offers and mean that unless the student athletes family are earning serious dough,they won't have to pay a dime.
Have a read of this and educate yourself on Ivy league recruiting and financial aid packages before making pathetic comments like your first one on this thread .         
http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/athletic-recruits/1432852-ivy-league-football-recruit.html
http://money.howstuffworks.com/personal-finance/college-planning/admissions/ivy-league-admissions5.htm

Not all football players/athletes would get into these prestigious colleges on their grades, Ivy league schools are allowed to make exceptions for athletes just like other colleges.

Keep trying to round the wagons, Ballyhaise. The fact is Ivy League athletics is one of the lowest tiers of competition, particularly in football where huge investment and a full program of athletic scholarships is usually needed to be halfway competitive at the top level. Ivy League colleges in most NCAA sports play in their own private leagues to ensure they're competing against similar level of opposition.

cornerback

And to be fair that's not what the OP said.

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: Syferus on November 30, 2013, 09:51:17 PM

Keep trying to round the wagons, Ballyhaise. The fact is Ivy League athletics is one of the lowest tiers of competition, particularly in football where huge investment and a full program of athletic scholarships is usually needed to be halfway competitive at the top level. Ivy League colleges in most NCAA sports play in their own private leagues to ensure they're competing against similar level of opposition.

Ivy league football is Division 1 AA (FCS) in football so how is it one of the "lowest tiers of competition". It is in the second tier of 5 tiers, with Division II,Division III and the NAIA championship all below it. Division 1AA(FCS) obviously is not at the same standard as FBS, but it is still quality football and only very good high school football players get recruited by 1AA colleges,including the Ivy league schools and not just "walk-ons" like you said.

AZOffaly

Syferus, you know college football, so I'm surprised you're so dismissive of Ivy League. Harvard v Yale is one of the oldest rivalries in sports. Granted they don't allow some of the 'characters' that pollute some of the bigger football programs into their schools but I think anyone who plays D1 football deserves a bit of respect. Also, Ivy League teams have supplied a fair few players to the NFL including Ryan Fitzpatrick and others active right now. As I said, harsh.

Syferus

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 30, 2013, 10:18:20 PM

Syferus, you know college football, so I'm surprised you're so dismissive of Ivy League. Harvard v Yale is one of the oldest rivalries in sports. Granted they don't allow some of the 'characters' that pollute some of the bigger football programs into their schools but I think anyone who plays D1 football deserves a bit of respect. Also, Ivy League teams have supplied a fair few players to the NFL including Ryan Fitzpatrick and others active right now. As I said, harsh.

I respect any sport athlete but my response has much more to do with Ballyhaise's attitude and very little to do with Ivy League ball. The likes of Jeremy Lin and Ryan Fitz's are the exceptions that prove the rule, those colleges may be D1 in name (and D1-AA at that, a far cry from BSC-level football even at the best of times) but the best D2 (and even the best of D3, that national final is always a great game) would be able to manage Ivy League teams, and that's a situation the Ivy League colleges actively endorse given the way they set up their college ball program.

Like you said, The Game is a huge rivalry (as is Cornell-Columbia) and some of the Ivy League teams still have record-setting numbers of national titles from the early days of college ball they are pretty low down the totem pole in terms of football, particularly given the focus on academic entry requirements as well as how much a non-scholarship place at those colleges cost. You price out of the market even most smart, good athletes who would be interested in attending as they mainly come from poorer backgrounds.

BallyhaiseMan

Ivy league football is so bad and virtually Division II and III level that 5 of their 8 team are ranked in the top 61 in the FCS SRS poll.

I particularly like this quote

"You price out of the market even most smart, good athletes who would be interested in attending as they mainly come from poorer backgrounds"

"In the case of Yale and Harvard, if a student's family earns less than $60,000 a year, they will pay nothing for their education"

As i have said on number of occasions, you haven't a clue what you 're on about. You're the biggest bullshitter on this forum.