Organ Donation

Started by illdecide, November 22, 2013, 02:10:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should the Governments change to an opt out scheme rather than the current opt in scheme

Yes
25 (89.3%)
No
3 (10.7%)

Total Members Voted: 28

illdecide

Guys having watched our Joe on a few programmes recently what is your take on organ donations...?

I would/will give any part of me to anyone when i die as it's no use to me when I'm dead and i seriously can't see why anyone wouldn't do the same. Afterall if you or a family member needed it you'd be glad of it, so why not offer them up.

I think it's a good thing what Joe was trying on with the Irish Government about an opt out scheme rather than an opt in but for some strange reason they're having difficulty getting it passed...

BTW i do not carry an Organ Donation card but i have told my parent and wife that if anything happens me let them take what they need...
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Denn Forever

Can you explain the difference between Opt In and Opt Out?  Ideally everyone's Organs should be up for donation.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

take_yer_points

Quote from: illdecide on November 22, 2013, 02:10:10 PM
Guys having watch our Joe on a few programmes recently what is your take on organ donations...?

I would/will give any part of me to anyone when i die as it's no use to me when I'm dead and i seriously can't see why anyone wouldn't do the same. Afterall if you or a family member needed it you'd be glad of it, so why not offer them up.

I think it's a good thing what Joe was trying on with the Irish Government about an opt out scheme rather than an opt in but for some strange reason they're having difficulty getting it passed...

BTW i do not carry an Organ Donation card but i have told my parent and wife that if anything happens me let them take what they need...

The poll you've put up poses the question "Should the Governments change to an opt in scheme rather than an opt out?"

Is it not opt in at the minute? You have to actually opt in to give your organs.

Is Brolly's proposal not to change it to an opt out? So if you don't want to give your organs you have to opt out

I'd prefer to have the opt out scheme, but wouldn't take the option. I've opted in for years since my uncle needed a kidney transplant. He's now had two and my cousin has had one as well. Both spent years on lists waiting for a suitable organ to become available

armaghniac

QuoteThe poll you've put up poses the question "Should the Governments change to an opt in scheme rather than an opt out?"

The poll is backways front.

QuoteI'd prefer to have the opt out scheme, but wouldn't take the option.

That would be my view.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

lawnseed

Quote from: illdecide on November 22, 2013, 02:10:10 PM
Guys having watch our Joe on a few programmes recently what is your take on organ donations...?

What about that brain of yours theres bound to be a needy chicken somewhere or a goldfish :D
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

illdecide

Control yourselves ffs, i'm doing this as fast as i can so my boss doesn't catch me on the board...i've changed the poll now so hopefully you're a bit happier now.

illdecide

Quote from: Denn Forever on November 22, 2013, 02:24:26 PM
Can you explain the difference between Opt In and Opt Out?  Ideally everyone's Organs should be up for donation.

The current situation is you have to carry an Organ Donation card to allow them to take your organs when you die. As far as i know they will ask your family anyway even if you don't carry a card. What Joe Brolly is looking to change is that on your death the Doctors have the right to take your organs without consent unless you opt out and choose not to donate.

If i haven't worded that correctly I'm sure a few people will point that out ::)

take_yer_points

Quote from: illdecide on November 22, 2013, 03:21:05 PM
Quote from: Denn Forever on November 22, 2013, 02:24:26 PM

The current situation is you have to carry an Organ Donation card to allow them to take your organs when you die. As far as i know they will ask your family anyway even if you don't carry a card. What Joe Brolly is looking to change is that on your death the Doctors have the right to take your organs without consent unless you opt out and choose not to donate.

If i haven't worded that correctly I'm sure a few people will point that out ::)

I think your family can still opt out on your behalf after your death

BennyCake

No. It should be opt in only.

illdecide

I forgot to mention that the reason i put this up was a girl i was talking too last week said she couldn't bear it if someone else was walking about with her or a relatives organs in them...which i thought was pathetic but i suppose everyone has a different view on this topic.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: illdecide on November 25, 2013, 02:16:16 PM
I forgot to mention that the reason i put this up was a girl i was talking too last week said she couldn't bear it if someone else was walking about with her or a relatives organs in them...which i thought was pathetic but i suppose everyone has a different view on this topic.

What f**king difference does it make? Different views on things is one thing but did she give you a reason why she couldn't bear it?

I've had the original donor card from back in the 80's but they have changed long time ago, I'll be giving the heap (though I'd say my liver ain't worth much ;D) Brolly and Finnegan put up a great debate but your man was dead set against it, and after watching it I still couldn't get a good reason for him opposing it.

Changing the law is long drawn out affair unless there is an attack on the government ;)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

armaghniac

QuoteI forgot to mention that the reason i put this up was a girl i was talking too last week said she couldn't bear it if someone else was walking about with her or a relatives organs in them...which i thought was pathetic but i suppose everyone has a different view on this topic.

Could she "bear it" if she or one of her relatives became ill and had the option of somebody else's organ?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

illdecide

I couldn't agree more, i can't understand why anyone wouldn't donate sure you're dead what does it matter and the chance of saving someone elses life would be something else.

Jeepers Creepers

I think the fear of dying prematurely puts a barrier up in some peoples minds regarding organ donation. However if you don't want to do it then..hey ho..

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on November 25, 2013, 06:39:54 PM
I think the fear of dying prematurely puts a barrier up in some peoples minds regarding organ donation. However if you don't want to do it then..hey ho..

They are the best organs to get!! I always thought it was a religious thing, which went against the idea that your soul went to heaven after you died so whatever was left was just a body!!

Knowing that if you died, (prematurely or not) someone could benefit from your death should be a good feeling for most people
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea