What's for dinner?

Started by Lone Shark, August 20, 2013, 04:30:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andoireabu

Something me and herself make that's nice is chicken wrapped in bacon and it really is that simple.  Take a chicken fillet and wrap two slices of smoky bacon around it and bung it in the oven long enough to avoid food poisoning.  We usually make chilli cubes with it by cubing some roosters and sprinkling chilli powder on them and throwing them in the oven too.  Handy dinner in half an hour with very little tidying to do afterwards.

Also make fajitas by marinating the chicken and bacon in nandos marinade then fry it up with onion and green pepper.

For steak herself marinates the sirloins in cumin, black pepper, garlic and soy sauce.  Deadly stuff
Private Cowboy: Don't shit me, man!
Private Joker: I wouldn't shit you. You're my favorite turd!

gerrykeegan

Quote from: Lone Shark on August 20, 2013, 05:56:59 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 20, 2013, 05:43:49 PM
Been eating a lot of sweet potato lately, either mash or cut up like wedges and put in the oven (oh boil it for ten mins before oven) with fry lite sprayed on it.

I like my steaks medium cooked, with onions peppers and mushrooms all cooked along side it with pepper sauce!! Wife can't cook steak for love nor money

Sweet potato is gorgeous. For wedges I like to throw a small bit of paprika on, gives them a great kick, but if you want something seriously addictive, try making sweet potato crisps in the deep fat fryer. You'll eat them forever by themselves, or they also go great with middle eastern style dishes, tagines etc. We do a Moroccan chicken thing with chickpeas, you just can't get enough of the sweet potato crisps with that.
I bet the wife puts garlic in that! Are all mixed spices with garlic in it out? Five spice is a great for a quick Chicken chow mein. If you don't object to five spice I have a deadly easy chow mein one. What about ginger? Any problems. If not I have a turkey stir fry I can send you.
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

tyroneboi

Quote from: andoireabu on August 20, 2013, 08:16:11 PM
Something me and herself make that's nice is chicken wrapped in bacon and it really is that simple.  Take a chicken fillet and wrap two slices of smoky bacon around it and bung it in the oven long enough to avoid food poisoning.  We usually make chilli cubes with it by cubing some roosters and sprinkling chilli powder on them and throwing them in the oven too.  Handy dinner in half an hour with very little tidying to do afterwards.

Big fan of that myself though now that my cooking skills have evolved I cut a little pocket in the chicken and stuff it with sun dried tomatoes and mozzarella and then wrap in the bacon or parma ham!

Walter Cronc

Quote from: tyroneboi on August 20, 2013, 08:24:36 PM

Big fan of that myself though now that my cooking skills have evolved I cut a little pocket in the chicken and stuff it with sun dried tomatoes and mozzarella and then wrap in the bacon or parma ham!

Big fan of this. Goes great with a diced potato, cauliflower and cheese bake!

andoireabu

Quote from: Walter Cronc on August 20, 2013, 08:27:49 PM
Quote from: tyroneboi on August 20, 2013, 08:24:36 PM

Big fan of this. Goes great with a diced potato, cauliflower and cheese bake!
Might give that a lash the next time.  or else indicate to the chef that it might be worth a try!
Private Cowboy: Don't shit me, man!
Private Joker: I wouldn't shit you. You're my favorite turd!

Lone Shark

Quote from: gerrykeegan on August 20, 2013, 08:16:42 PM
Quote from: Lone Shark on August 20, 2013, 05:56:59 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 20, 2013, 05:43:49 PM
Been eating a lot of sweet potato lately, either mash or cut up like wedges and put in the oven (oh boil it for ten mins before oven) with fry lite sprayed on it.

I like my steaks medium cooked, with onions peppers and mushrooms all cooked along side it with pepper sauce!! Wife can't cook steak for love nor money

Sweet potato is gorgeous. For wedges I like to throw a small bit of paprika on, gives them a great kick, but if you want something seriously addictive, try making sweet potato crisps in the deep fat fryer. You'll eat them forever by themselves, or they also go great with middle eastern style dishes, tagines etc. We do a Moroccan chicken thing with chickpeas, you just can't get enough of the sweet potato crisps with that.
I bet the wife puts garlic in that! Are all mixed spices with garlic in it out? Five spice is a great for a quick Chicken chow mein. If you don't object to five spice I have a deadly easy chow mein one. What about ginger? Any problems. If not I have a turkey stir fry I can send you.

She doesn't put garlic in it, and I can say that with certainty because it's me that cooks it!

I work from home most days so it's easy for me to look after the cooking element. As for the Moroccan chicken, I actually just use a Sharwoods spice mix for that. There's garlic listed in about tenth place on the ingredients list, but I don't really notice so it's all good.

Chow mein could be a runner, hadn't thought of that and it's something that we both like. As soon as I figure out the gluten free noodles we're go. Though GF soy is not hectic in truth.

Tony Baloney

Milltown Row2

Came back from game tonight and made, a stir fry with salmon.

Carrots, peppers, mushrooms, spring onion, stir fried in fry lite and garlic. Salmon cooked after being marinated in soy sauce. Noodles mixed in at the end. A slimming world dish apparently so you fatties can tuck in ;)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

ONeill

Any man who cooks should be ashamed of themselves. I'll bring home the meat, you cook it woman.

Same as any man who allows their wife to hammer nails or paint walls. Shameful.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

brokencrossbar1

Sweet sufferin f**k ::)

I'm a savage for

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Canalman

Cooking tip here,

Buy a 4 cheese pizza from ALDI for E2.60.......... they are not even frozen. Throw on some peppers or mushrooms and you have imvho a lovely pizza for very little.

Carrrots and parsnips mashed together. with butter........... food of the Gods.

seafoid

A very tasty way of eating a chicken other than roasting is to section it (cut off the legs, separate the thighs and lower leg, cut off wings. Fry the legs, thighs and wings in a bit of oil for about 8 minutes to render the fat . This is the schmalz used in Jewish cooking. Remove chicken pieces and add a few spices if you have them (eg coriander or cardamom or cloves). Cook in the fat for one minute. Could add garlic as well. Add a chopped onion or some mushrooms or carrots or other vegetables and cook for 5 minutes. Add back chicken pieces and the chicken breasts and and a cup of water and cook for 15 minutes. The gravy is delicious. You can play around with your own favourite flavours- the main idea is to render the fat and cook the additions in this. Lime and almonds and ginger are very compatible with chicken as well.

seafoid

Japanese style steak ('Yoshinoya Beef")

1 onion, chopped
200ml vegetable stock
5 tablespoons soya sauce
3 tablespoons sugar
3 tablespoons white wine

Bring to the boil and set aside.
Cook your steak - there is enough sauce for 1 lb.
Slice the steak and serve it over rice with the sauce. 

ziggy90

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on August 21, 2013, 08:58:50 AM
Sweet sufferin f**k ::)

I'm a savage for

Stick a bit of turnip in with the cabbage and I'd fight you for it!!!!!!
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered