Quote from: Bingo on August 20, 2013, 05:11:01 PM
My Favourite.

Toast

Two slices of white/brown/off brown bread
A bit of butter
Optional: Marmalade or jam

Place bread in toast.

Put on toast at desired setting.

When toast pops, remove from toaster and place on plate.

Spread butter evenly over toast. If marmalade or jam been used, spread evenly over same.

Best served with tea.

;D

Spuds and butter ( Connacht Gold half the fat ) can't be bet.
Boil the spuds in water.
Put them on a small plate, peel them and put them on a big plate and break them up a bit with a fork.
Put a big dollop of butter somewhere in the middle and keep atin' till it's all gone.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

AZOffaly

How about a bit of Mexican cooking Lone Shark? I find it goes down a treat. Try something simple like Fajitas first.

This will make a fair few.

I use 1 pound of lean steak, sliced into stirfry pieces.
1 point of chicken breast sliced into stirfry pieces.
1 red pepper, 1 green chili, 1 onion, maybe some mushrooms if you like them
1 bag of lettuce (or grow your own!!)
1 Avocado
a few limes
refried beans (you can buy tins)
Fajita mix (I prefer the sauce rather than the powder)
Tortillas
Tub of Sour Cream
Tub of Salsa
Grated Cheese.

Make the guacamole first. Scoop out the avocado, and start mashing it like a mashed banana. Add a couple of teaspoons of the fresh lime juice, and a pinch of salt (to taste). Do this just before you are going to fry the other bits and pieces or it will go brown.

Then fry the fillings USE 2 Pans!

(Obviously you can make the Salsa and the Fajita Mix yourself, but bollox to that, that's what shops are for).

Slice, dice and otherwise chop the vegetables and spread them about the two pans.
Add the steak to Pan 1, and the Chicken to Pan two.

Fry them, and as you are doing so, shred the lettuce into small strips.

When the meat is done, reduce the heat and add the fajita mix.

Also as the frying is going on, heat up the refried beans..

Set the table, and put on each plate a helping of lettuce, the refried beans, grated cheese,  a scoop of sour cream, salsa and your fresh guacamole. Presentation is important in this meal for the visitors especially.

Gently heat up the tortilla shells and place them in a pile on a plate in the middle of the table.

Get two serving bowls and put the beef mix and the chicken mix into them.

Place the serving bowls in the middle of the table.

Add Corona with the other limes sliced up!

It looks great, feels really communal and is very tasty. Also it is very filling.

If you don't like the refried beans you can also use some rice.

Obviously I'm assuming you know how to eat the fajita, but just in case: Take a tortilla Shell, and leave it flat on your plate. Add a couple of spoons of either the chicken, the beef (or both if you are a real rebel). Add in some sour cream, guacamole, salsa and refried beans (and/or rice). Fold it over into a normal 'wrap' style. Bite it. Say Mmmmmmmmm.

tyrone girl

Im with you LS i despise garlic. The smell of it is enough for me. Yuk!!!
Any recipes i look up all seem to have bloody garlic stuck in somewhere. Any time ya go out for something to eat theres bloody garlic stuck in everything also  >:(

No Soloing

I always wondered why there was no food related thread on this board. Maybe, many on here, like a lot of Irish folk, eat spuds, meat & veg most of the time and let their wummin do the cooking.

I do most of the cooking in our house - though Mrs NS is cooking it at the minute because Im busy watching Celtic being sh*te. So, in about half an hour we are having homemade pizza. Its very easy to make - thats why Mrs NS can do it.

1½ mugs of self-raising flour + ½ mug of warm water. Bung that in a blender, whizz it round until its a dough. Divide into 3 or 4 and roll out - should be roundish (as pizzas are), but mine usually ends up in a kind of Australia shape. Put on sauce made from passatta, tomato puree or chopped tomatoes. Then whatever topping you want and grated cheese (if you buy a bag of grated cheese, its even easier). Put in the oven (make sure the oven is hot) for about 10mins.

Garlic is optional

Lone Shark

The only Mexican dish we generally do is a thing called Arroz con Pollo, which again is basically chicken, tomato, rice, bit of chill powder, saffron, lemon and a few other bits.

I like your thinking there with fajitas. I'll have to do a bit of work to make gluten free tortillas - most of the store bought corn ones have other flour added - but that's definitely something I can work around. I can make them myself if needs be.

Lone Shark

Quote from: No Soloing on August 20, 2013, 05:29:26 PM
I always wondered why there was no food related thread on this board. Maybe, many on here, like a lot of Irish folk, eat spuds, meat & veg most of the time and let their wummin do the cooking.

I do most of the cooking in our house - though Mrs NS is cooking it at the minute because Im busy watching Celtic being sh*te. So, in about half an hour we are having homemade pizza. Its very easy to make - thats why Mrs NS can do it.

1½ mugs of self-raising flour + ½ mug of warm water. Bung that in a blender, whizz it round until its a dough. Divide into 3 or 4 and roll out - should be roundish (as pizzas are), but mine usually ends up in a kind of Australia shape. Put on sauce made from passatta, tomato puree or chopped tomatoes. Then whatever topping you want and grated cheese (if you buy a bag of grated cheese, its even easier). Put in the oven (make sure the oven is hot) for about 10mins.

Garlic is optional

Mrs NS doesn't read the board then.  :P

I've struggled in a big way to make GF pizza bases - and I won't lie, I do miss nice pizza. Invariably it ends up as if you're eating cheese, tomato, pepperoni and placemat when I've tried to do it at home.

AZOffaly

This is nice too, as an accompaniment to Steak, Roast Beef or even chicken.

Slice Raw Potatoes and place them in a pyrex dish, like a baking tray.
Cover them with one or 2 tubs of fresh cream. Let the cream get right in there. Almost like a cream cassarole :)

Put it in the oven at 200 degrees, and let the potatoes cook as the cream reduces a little. Keep testing them, as the time depends on the potato, the amount of cream, and the thickness of the slice.

Just when you think it's about 10 minutes away from being done, sprinke a generous helping of grated cheese on the top of the potatoes and cream. Cover it like a lasagne nearly, but not too thick in depth.

Fire it back in the oven for the last 10 minutes, then take it out and voila, Potato au Gratin avec Creme. Gorgeous with any sort of beef as I said.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Lone Shark on August 20, 2013, 05:32:39 PM
The only Mexican dish we generally do is a thing called Arroz con Pollo, which again is basically chicken, tomato, rice, bit of chill powder, saffron, lemon and a few other bits.

I like your thinking there with fajitas. I'll have to do a bit of work to make gluten free tortillas - most of the store bought corn ones have other flour added - but that's definitely something I can work around. I can make them myself if needs be.

The fajitas are great for a party/guests. As I said it feels very communal with the tortillas and meat sitting out on the table, while the various condiments and sides make the plates look very colourful and lively.

Always a hit.

Lone Shark

As a general rule I'm trying to move away from more potatoes, but that definitely sounds like a good job - as you say with a nice steak it could be a winner.

That said if you get a nice steak you can serve it with sawdust and it still works.

Milltown Row2

Been eating a lot of sweet potato lately, either mash or cut up like wedges and put in the oven (oh boil it for ten mins before oven) with fry lite sprayed on it.

I like my steaks medium cooked, with onions peppers and mushrooms all cooked along side it with pepper sauce!! Wife can't cook steak for love nor money
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

AZOffaly

Speaking of steak I will never again fry a steak. It's such a waste. Even in the worst weather, I'd try my best to barbeque it. The tenderness and flavour of a nice barbequed steak is unreal.

Milltown Row2

True AZ . have done right few over summer and they've been best. though they are covered in garlic and black pepper!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Lone Shark

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 20, 2013, 05:43:49 PM
Been eating a lot of sweet potato lately, either mash or cut up like wedges and put in the oven (oh boil it for ten mins before oven) with fry lite sprayed on it.

I like my steaks medium cooked, with onions peppers and mushrooms all cooked along side it with pepper sauce!! Wife can't cook steak for love nor money

Sweet potato is gorgeous. For wedges I like to throw a small bit of paprika on, gives them a great kick, but if you want something seriously addictive, try making sweet potato crisps in the deep fat fryer. You'll eat them forever by themselves, or they also go great with middle eastern style dishes, tagines etc. We do a Moroccan chicken thing with chickpeas, you just can't get enough of the sweet potato crisps with that. 

ziggy90

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 20, 2013, 05:44:35 PM
Speaking of steak I will never again fry a steak. It's such a waste. Even in the worst weather, I'd try my best to barbeque it. The tenderness and flavour of a nice barbequed steak is unreal.

Heresy AZ, you can't beat steak fried in real lard with onions and mushrooms fried alongside it. To add a bit of colour fry a tomato with it.
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered