Tyrone vs Mayo AISF Semi-Final - August 25th

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, August 03, 2013, 08:45:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aaron Boone

No injuries reported at time of writing in Tyrone club games today.

skeog

how many of the first 15 actually started seen two starters in omagh doing water boys

ONeill

Who comes in for Penrose? McNeice I would've said but he's out now too. Need a donkey worker - Kane?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

barelegs

Quote from: ONeill on August 11, 2013, 11:36:40 PM
Who comes in for Penrose? McNeice I would've said but he's out now too. Need a donkey worker - Kane?

I wouldn't be surprised to see McNabb come in for Penrose and push Mattie Donnelly a bit further up the field. Alternatively he could bring in Cassidy and let him operate around the middle like Penrose normally does.

I can't help but feel Tyrone will try something a bit different. They'd need to to try and breath some life into the full forward line

ONeill

macdanger2

Quote from: macdanger2 on August 09, 2013, 12:11:58 AM
There's easily 100+ pages in this one

25 by Sunday,
Slowing a bit next week but still adding 10 more
Notching up a further 30+ in the last week until throw in
And at least 40 between the game and aftermath

Bang on target lads, keep her lit

seafoid

Quote from: skeog on August 11, 2013, 11:34:49 PM
how many of the first 15 actually started seen two starters in omagh doing water boys
Is that a crossword clue?

omagh_gael

What about Ronan O'Neill? He did quite a bit of foraging out the field when he came on and is, arguably,  our best natural forward outside of SoN. Could he be moulded to do more Penrose-esqe work and mix this with a three man full forward line at times?

EC Unique

Quote from: omagh_gael on August 12, 2013, 11:30:24 AM

What about Ronan O'Neill? He did quite a bit of foraging out the field when he came on and is, arguably,  our best natural forward outside of SoN. Could he be moulded to do more Penrose-esqe work and mix this with a three man full forward line at times?

O'Neill would be my pick. We need more men who are prepared to take a shot and stick the ball over the bar. Too many players seem reluctant to take a shot. O'Neill will.

nrico2006

Quote from: EC Unique on August 12, 2013, 11:57:14 AM

O'Neill would be my pick. We need more men who are prepared to take a shot and stick the ball over the bar. Too many players seem reluctant to take a shot. O'Neill will.

Exactly, our weakness is our forward line and the last thing I want is to see Ronan O'Neill turned into a workhorse.  Stick him close to goal and let him go for the score every time.  The past few games we have played we have had 3 of our 6 forwards (McCurry, Penrose and Mark Donnelly) who would rather do anything but shoot for a score.  Add in Joe McMahon with his more roaming role and you can see why we are struggling for scores.  We have been effectively relying on Sean Cavanagh and Mattie Donnelly to score.  Unfortunately for us SON is way past his best and as I said months ago he wouldn't be a game changer for us come championship.  We need forwards who can beat their men and go for goals/points.  Our goal return this past number of years is pretty embarassing.   
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

DJGaliv

Do Tyrone really need another donkey worker? Personally being at the Monaghan game it looked like they have too few scoring options but plenty of hard workers.

ONeill

Quote from: DJGaliv on August 12, 2013, 12:58:30 PM

Do Tyrone really need another donkey worker? Personally being at the Monaghan game it looked like they have too few scoring options but plenty of hard workers.

I think this year we do in order to compensate for the deficiencies in defence.

Redhand Santa

Quote from: nrico2006 on August 12, 2013, 12:05:55 PM
Quote from: EC Unique on August 12, 2013, 11:57:14 AM

Exactly, our weakness is our forward line and the last thing I want is to see Ronan O'Neill turned into a workhorse.  Stick him close to goal and let him go for the score every time.  The past few games we have played we have had 3 of our 6 forwards (McCurry, Penrose and Mark Donnelly) who would rather do anything but shoot for a score.  Add in Joe McMahon with his more roaming role and you can see why we are struggling for scores.  We have been effectively relying on Sean Cavanagh and Mattie Donnelly to score.  Unfortunately for us SON is way past his best and as I said months ago he wouldn't be a game changer for us come championship.  We need forwards who can beat their men and go for goals/points.  Our goal return this past number of years is pretty embarassing.   

O'Neill may be past his best but he improved numerous times during the league that he can still be a top forward. He came back early from injury for the Kildare game and I don't think he has been quite right since. And when your not at your sharpiest its very hard to stand out when your up against 2 or 3 defenders. If he gets a good 3 week run into the Mayo game I've no doubt there's still a big performance in him.

Fuzzman

I'm glad you got that in before I did Santa as it would sound more biased coming from me, his clubmate.

Yeah Stevie's lost a bit of his pace I fear and so is struggling with two or sometimes more guys hanging out of him these days. He gets very few chances to shoot and often when he does they're out in the wings or corners. I think he acts more as a decoy these days though some of the poor high balls being kicked into him were terrible.

I watched the Monaghan game there at the weekend and my patience with Penrose has finally wore thin. So I am glad he's out for this game. Him & Mone were at each other the whole game and I can't for the life of me see why Mickey didn't haul him off long before half time. He totally lost the run of himself and was a liability. His miss right at the start of the game was typical of him all season. Shooting wide under no pressure. I know he does a lot of work around the pitch and helps the defence out a lot but he really has lost any attacking threat that he used to have. Hard to believe he used to be one of our top scorers.

I would like to see Ronan get more time on the pitch and think he's more of a threat from play than McCurry. Whilst McCurry is our top scorer (or is it Sean now), you very rarely see him score that type of point that Ronan got last Saturday. He has the pace to come running out, catch, turn and shoot.
I'd say Mickey will go for mCNabb or maybe even Justy.

trueblue1234

I think you's are suffering from O'Neill confusion.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit