Tyrone v Monaghan Quarter Final

Started by tyronefan, July 27, 2013, 10:20:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fuzzman

I read that article earlier today and felt that Monaghan were a durty shower of so and so's and that he never liked playing them as they always had nothing to lose and could take you out of it very handy. He was probably glad to see Donegal getting some of their own medicine.

Playing in Croke park is more than likely play some part in Monaghan's mindset. By the sounds of it there is gonna be a very large crowd although a lot of the Dubs won't be in til late as usual.
I would expect they won't play as well as they did in the Ulster final but the question is will they even have to?
You would imagine Sean Cav won't get as much space this time and could even be man marked the whole game.

popinpopout

Quote from: Fuzzman on July 31, 2013, 05:41:42 PM
I read that article earlier today and felt that Monaghan were a durty shower of so and so's and that he never liked playing them as they always had nothing to lose and could take you out of it very handy. He was probably glad to see Donegal getting some of their own medicine.

Playing in Croke park is more than likely play some part in Monaghan's mindset. By the sounds of it there is gonna be a very large crowd although a lot of the Dubs won't be in til late as usual.
I would expect they won't play as well as they did in the Ulster final but the question is will they even have to?
You would imagine Sean Cav won't get as much space this time and could even be man marked the whole game.

Agreed.....someone else will have to step up to the plate. I would love to see Mark Donnelly drive forward more and get the scores he was getting during the national league. Is he playing a different role or is it just a matter of being watched more tightly? He certainly isn't the scoring threat he was.

emmetryan

Hi guys

Tactical preview of Monaghan vs Tyrone now up
http://action81.com/blog/?p=7495

Thanks
Emmet
writer of the Tactics not Passion series at Action81.com

Schkite

Monaghan team:

Uimhir   Name   Ainm   Cumann
1   Rory Beggan Ruairí Ó Beagáin   An Bhoth
2   Kieran Duffy   Ciarán Ó Dufaigh   Leachtain
3   Drew Wylie   Driú Wylie   Béal Átha Beithe
4   Colin Walshe   Coilín Breathnach   Dubhthamlacht
5   Vincent Corey   Uinsinn Ó Comhraí   Cluain Tiobraid
6   Neil Mc Adam   Neil Mac Adaim   Cláirsigh Mhuineacháin
7   Dessie Mone   Deasúin Ó Mocháin   Cluain Tiobraid
8   Owen Lennon (Capt)   Eoin Ó Lionnáin   Leachtain
9   Darren Hughes   Darren Ó hAodha   An Bhoth
10   Paul Finlay   Pól Ó Fionnalaigh   Béal Átha Beithe
11   Stephen Gollogly   Stiofáin Mac an Ghallóghlaigh Carraig Mhachaire Rois
12   Dermot Malone   Diarmuid Ó Maoleoin Fag An Bealach
13   Padraig Donaghy   Pádraig Mac Donnachaidh Domhnach Maighne
14   Kieran Hughes   Ciarán Ó hAodha An Bhoth
15   Conor Mc Manus   Conchúir Mac Maghnúis Cluain Tiobraid

Fuzzman

So Emmet tips Tyrone but only just.
How many have ye got wrong this year Emmet?
What county are ye from anyway?

I agree with ya that it could be a low scoring game and if Monaghan foul Stevie as much as other teams have then that could be the winning or losing of this game.
The days of scoring loads from open play have gone I fear.

I'd say there will be a huge different in styles from the 1st game to the second game and no doubt TSG & others will be enjoying highlighting this.

rodney trotter

Quote from: Fuzzman on August 01, 2013, 10:23:09 AM
So Emmet tips Tyrone but only just.
How many have ye got wrong this year Emmet?
What county are ye from anyway?

I agree with ya that it could be a low scoring game and if Monaghan foul Stevie as much as other teams have then that could be the winning or losing of this game.
The days of scoring loads from open play have gone I fear.

I'd say there will be a huge different in styles from the 1st game to the second game and no doubt TSG & others will be enjoying highlighting this.

He is from Baile Atha Cliath, good at the analysis.

Rossfan

Hope his forecast is right.
Be great to see Monaghan make the semis.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Main Street

Quote from: Schkite on August 01, 2013, 09:51:45 AM
Monaghan team:

I'm afraid that we need 3 Ballybay men on the pitch to ensure victory.

Schkite

Quote from: Main Street on August 01, 2013, 12:11:18 PM
Quote from: Schkite on August 01, 2013, 09:51:45 AM
Monaghan team:

I'm afraid that we need 3 Ballybay men on the pitch to ensure victory.

Well there'll be 3 on by the end of the game!

never kickt a ball

Quote from: ONeill on July 31, 2013, 02:59:19 PM
What is it about 2013 and mind games?

I see Malachy O'Rourke is at it too. He quoted Mark Donnelly who before the Ulster final happened to say that the Munster final would be the only competitive final. Then he claims that Tyrone people "would feel that they're a step above Monaghan". Then he maintains he wasn't aware of how long it has been since Cranney cheated Tyrone out of an Ulster title.

Hopefully Mickey hits back on Friday about Clones being a home pitch for them hoors.

Thank God though we haven't been accused of COLLUSION yet!

nrico2006

Quote from: popinpopout on July 31, 2013, 06:19:47 PM

Agreed.....someone else will have to step up to the plate. I would love to see Mark Donnelly drive forward more and get the scores he was getting during the national league. Is he playing a different role or is it just a matter of being watched more tightly? He certainly isn't the scoring threat he was.

I said a few weeks ago that Donnelly has never really counted in Championship.  Different doing it in the league which he undoubtedly did, but over the past few years he has never really had a big performance in the championship.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

BennyHarp

Quote from: nrico2006 on August 01, 2013, 01:15:22 PM
Quote from: popinpopout on July 31, 2013, 06:19:47 PM

I said a few weeks ago that Donnelly has never really counted in Championship.  Different doing it in the league which he undoubtedly did, but over the past few years he has never really had a big performance in the championship.

I'd never been a big fan of Mark Donnelly but his game had definitely improved this year. My main concern is similar to yours, nrico, when it comes to the crunch in the championship his running game gets swallowed up by the better teams. He needs to be able to vary his game a bit to be top notch and I think he has the ability to do this.
That was never a square ball!!

imtommygunn

He tends to run at defenders which is fine one or one or even two on one a lot of the times. That works better in leagues with less blanket defenses / systems. Good systems will swallow that up though which I think has tended to happen him.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Mark Donnelly, Peter Harte & Marty Penrose, in particular, are going to have absolute stormers on Saturday, back in that groove like greased lightning. Guaranteed!  :D
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Main Street

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on August 01, 2013, 01:25:01 PM
Mark Donnelly, Peter Harte & Marty Penrose, in particular, are going to have absolute stormers on Saturday, back in that groove like greased lightning. Guaranteed!  :D
;D
I'll have a pint of the same, FoSB.