All Ireland Senior Football Championship Quarter Finals Draw

Started by drici, July 27, 2013, 07:54:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: EC Unique on July 28, 2013, 02:11:41 PM
Can't understand why so many of you are tipping Monaghan to beat Tyrone. Monaghan to beat Tyrone in a championship match in croke park? Seriously?

Yes.

popinpopout

Mayo's to lose I think. Despite being a proud Tyrone man I've seen a lot of Donegal this year. They had a crap McKenna Cup.....a crap national league resulting in relegation....and then a win over Tyrone in Ulster which had them labelled as a better side than last year!!! Down gave them bother....a game I attended.....Monaghan played them off the pitch. The question was were they caught on the hop....over confident etc....or were Monaghan really that good. Well.....I was at Carrick last night and I have to say Donegal were as poor there as in the Ulster final.....shot shy, over elaborating, heavy legged. I have a suspicion they are due an awful tanking and Mayo are the team to do it.
As for my own county...delighted to be in the quarters....as much as I could have hoped for....also delighted with the draw v Monaghan.....could go either way with no clear favourite. I expect it to be the tightest of the four games.

Maguire01

Quote from: DJGaliv on July 28, 2013, 01:05:42 PM
Do you think these qfs double headers will be full house, or is there a chance of a ticket.
Some great games in store.
Tickets here - http://gaa.tickets.ie/ - although only Lower Davin and Terrace tickets onsale.

I'd expect Saturday to be a sell-out with the Dubs involved. Monaghan and Tyrone should bring a good crowd too.

Tubberman

Don't think it would be that big a shock for Monaghan to beat Tyrone. People must be judging Tyrone on past glories...
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Maguire01

Quote from: hardstation on July 28, 2013, 03:08:22 PM
Quote from: Tubberman on July 28, 2013, 03:04:42 PM
Don't think it would be that big a shock for Monaghan to beat Tyrone. People must be judging Tyrone on past glories...
People are judging Monaghan on one match though. They've played 2 other games in this years championship in which Tyrone would have ate and shite them!
But they've done what's needed to win in all 3 games. Would Monaghan have 'ate and shite' Tyrone on their Roscommon performance?

EC Unique

Quote from: Maguire01 on July 28, 2013, 02:57:19 PM
Quote from: DJGaliv on July 28, 2013, 01:05:42 PM
Do you think these qfs double headers will be full house, or is there a chance of a ticket.
Some great games in store.
Tickets here - http://gaa.tickets.ie/ - although only Lower Davin and Terrace tickets onsale.

I'd expect Saturday to be a sell-out with the Dubs involved. Monaghan and Tyrone should bring a good crowd too.

I was down in Croker yesterday so I think I will skip next Sat and wait for the semi.

Syferus

Quote from: Maguire01 on July 28, 2013, 03:43:13 PM
People are judging Monaghan on one match though. They've played 2 other games in this years championship in which Tyrone would have ate and shite them!
But they've done what's needed to win in all 3 games. Would Monaghan have 'ate and shite' Tyrone on their Roscommon performance?

I don't think you should be using the performance we forced Tyrone into as a barometer against their quality when he arrived down to the Hyde a few months ago and lost to our B team.

Monaghan have to prove a corner has been turned, Tyrone are a proven commodity.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: popinpopout on July 28, 2013, 02:52:49 PM
Mayo's to lose I think. Despite being a proud Tyrone man I've seen a lot of Donegal this year. They had a crap McKenna Cup.....a crap national league resulting in relegation....and then a win over Tyrone in Ulster which had them labelled as a better side than last year!!! Down gave them bother....a game I attended.....Monaghan played them off the pitch. The question was were they caught on the hop....over confident etc....or were Monaghan really that good. Well.....I was at Carrick last night and I have to say Donegal were as poor there as in the Ulster final.....shot shy, over elaborating, heavy legged. I have a suspicion they are due an awful tanking and Mayo are the team to do it.
As for my own county...delighted to be in the quarters....as much as I could have hoped for....also delighted with the draw v Monaghan.....could go either way with no clear favourite. I expect it to be the tightest of the four games.

So were Laois just awful then?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Syferus

Quote from: Maguire01 on July 28, 2013, 03:43:13 PM

I don't think you should be using the performance we forced Tyrone into as a barometer against their quality when ye arrived down to the Hyde a few months ago with promotion on the line and lost to our B team.

Monaghan have to prove a corner has been turned, Tyrone are a proven commodity.

babarino

Quote from: hardstation on July 28, 2013, 03:01:13 PM
It'd be a quare shock for Monaghan to beat Tyrone.
They'd a great win against Donegal but you wouldn't expect it twice.

Antrim still playing in the Championship in August...that would be a quare shock.

Maguire01

Quote from: hardstation on July 28, 2013, 05:26:35 PM
Quote from: babarino on July 28, 2013, 05:24:48 PM
Quote from: hardstation on July 28, 2013, 03:01:13 PM
It'd be a quare shock for Monaghan to beat Tyrone.
They'd a great win against Donegal but you wouldn't expect it twice.

Antrim still playing in the Championship in August...that would be a quare shock.
::)
Monaghan - overnight world beaters. You have to love it.
Hardly world beaters, but excuse us for not heading into a quarter-final expecting a tanking.

babarino

Complete BS. Monaghan topped division 3 and won the final well against Meath, having 'ate and shite' Antrim en route. The Championship game against Antrim was a farce, with Antrim interested in nothing more than damage limitation. (Yes we had to improve on the Cavan game, but an early goal wasn't awarded, which would have had us firmly in the driving seat.)

There's enough obnoxious Tyrone supporters without Antrim ones joining them.

rodney trotter

Wouldn't be really, Hardstation a "quare shock",.. Tyrone were there for the taking yesterday but Meath lacked composure.
Mickey Newman missed a free near the end which was the turning of the game

ross4life

Quote from: rodney trotter on July 28, 2013, 05:38:33 PM
Wouldn't be really, Hardstation a "quare shock",.. Tyrone were there for the taking yesterday but Meath lacked composure.
Mickey Newman missed a free near the end which was the turning of the game
3rd game in a row Tyrone were there for the taking. TBH they know how to win tight games without playing well and they say thats the sign of good team?

I think this game all depends on Monaghan, if they play like they did v Donegal they will win if they have lost the run of themselves/over celebrated the Ulster success and not fully tuned in then Tyrone will win.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

babarino

Quote from: hardstation on July 28, 2013, 05:39:38 PM
Ok, sorry, Monaghan are great.

FFS.
After the Antrim game in Casement your manager said that they'd 'restored pride back in the jersey'. If a Monaghan manager came out with a line like that after a similar display, he'd be gone within a week.

Think closer to home before you start pointing out the shortcomings of other counties.