All Ireland Senior Football Championship Quarter Finals Draw

Started by drici, July 27, 2013, 07:54:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

popinpopout

Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 28, 2013, 03:58:58 PM
Quote from: popinpopout on July 28, 2013, 02:52:49 PM
Mayo's to lose I think. Despite being a proud Tyrone man I've seen a lot of Donegal this year. They had a crap McKenna Cup.....a crap national league resulting in relegation....and then a win over Tyrone in Ulster which had them labelled as a better side than last year!!! Down gave them bother....a game I attended.....Monaghan played them off the pitch. The question was were they caught on the hop....over confident etc....or were Monaghan really that good. Well.....I was at Carrick last night and I have to say Donegal were as poor there as in the Ulster final.....shot shy, over elaborating, heavy legged. I have a suspicion they are due an awful tanking and Mayo are the team to do it.
As for my own county...delighted to be in the quarters....as much as I could have hoped for....also delighted with the draw v Monaghan.....could go either way with no clear favourite. I expect it to be the tightest of the four games.

So were Laois just awful then?

pretty much!!

Schkite

Quote from: hardstation on July 28, 2013, 05:33:13 PM
Youse won't get tanked and yis might even win - but it'd be a quare shock.

A slight shock maybe, but I wouldn't say a quare one.

INDIANA

Quote from: babarino on July 28, 2013, 05:59:23 PM
Quote from: hardstation on July 28, 2013, 05:39:38 PM
Ok, sorry, Monaghan are great.

FFS.
After the Antrim game in Casement your manager said that they'd 'restored pride back in the jersey'. If a Monaghan manager came out with a line like that after a similar display, he'd be gone within a week.

Think closer to home before you start pointing out the shortcomings of other counties.

Jaysus banty lasted 6 years

Syferus

Quote from: popinpopout on July 28, 2013, 06:00:07 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 28, 2013, 03:58:58 PM
Quote from: popinpopout on July 28, 2013, 02:52:49 PM
Mayo's to lose I think. Despite being a proud Tyrone man I've seen a lot of Donegal this year. They had a crap McKenna Cup.....a crap national league resulting in relegation....and then a win over Tyrone in Ulster which had them labelled as a better side than last year!!! Down gave them bother....a game I attended.....Monaghan played them off the pitch. The question was were they caught on the hop....over confident etc....or were Monaghan really that good. Well.....I was at Carrick last night and I have to say Donegal were as poor there as in the Ulster final.....shot shy, over elaborating, heavy legged. I have a suspicion they are due an awful tanking and Mayo are the team to do it.
As for my own county...delighted to be in the quarters....as much as I could have hoped for....also delighted with the draw v Monaghan.....could go either way with no clear favourite. I expect it to be the tightest of the four games.

So were Laois just awful then?

pretty much!!

Carrick is a very tight pitch, as I'm sure you know Farr. Donegal had no pretensions about playing football, they knew Laois didn't have the scorers to hurt them from distance and just parked the double-decker in front of goal.

Donegal's attacking play was woeful at times, even accounting for such a defensive set and such a defensive game in general. Very hard to read much into the performance as Donegal just played Laois very clinically. They've obvious significantly bellow par right now but who knows what the sight of Croke Park and August bank holiday weekend will do to them.

I'll probably be a huge battle but Mayo have enough to do what they couldn't last September.

babarino

Quote from: INDIANA on July 28, 2013, 06:06:03 PM
Quote from: babarino on July 28, 2013, 05:59:23 PM
Quote from: hardstation on July 28, 2013, 05:39:38 PM
Ok, sorry, Monaghan are great.

FFS.
After the Antrim game in Casement your manager said that they'd 'restored pride back in the jersey'. If a Monaghan manager came out with a line like that after a similar display, he'd be gone within a week.

Think closer to home before you start pointing out the shortcomings of other counties.

Jaysus banty lasted 6 years

Are you seriously comparing Banty with Dawson? Banty sent teams out to win, not to limit damage. After the game against Tyrone in the '10 Ulster final he was gone.

Syferus

The Hill is Blue

Quote from: DJGaliv on July 28, 2013, 01:05:42 PM
Do you think these qfs double headers will be full house, or is there a chance of a ticket.
Some great games in store.

I bought tickets on http://www.tickets.ie/ earlier this afternoon.
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

cadhlancian

A serious amount of dung being spouted here! " if Monaghan play like they did against Donegal, they will win" . " if Tyrone play the way they did against ......" Etc. Bottom line, if BOTH teams play as well they can, Tyrone will win handily! That's why they are 2/1 ON and Monaghan are 2/1 against. I am NOT saying this will happen though, that's why they are playing the game.

Itchy

The bookies are so wrong, no one can stop Monaghan. Certs for sam, no point talking about it anymore. My only concern is we have a sub keeper as I'm sure our no. 1 won't last he'll be so frigged from kicking out the ball.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: cadhlancian on July 28, 2013, 06:53:43 PM
A serious amount of dung being spouted here! " if Monaghan play like they did against Donegal, they will win" . " if Tyrone play the way they did against ......" Etc. Bottom line, if BOTH teams play as well they can, Tyrone will win handily! That's why they are 2/1 ON and Monaghan are 2/1 against. I am NOT saying this will happen though, that's why they are playing the game.

Only once in this years championship have Tyrone played as well as they can and Offaly stood off them and allowed it to happen. Monaghan won't be as foolish and 2/1 against is a great bet however if Tyrone manage to fall over the line again they will be beaten by Donegal or Mayo in semi final.

Maguire01

Quote from: Itchy on July 28, 2013, 07:00:51 PM
The bookies are so wrong, no one can stop Monaghan. Certs for sam, no point talking about it anymore. My only concern is we have a sub keeper as I'm sure our no. 1 won't last he'll be so frigged from kicking out the ball.
Well the bookies were wrong when we played Donegal. Very wrong in fact - a few people cleaned up at 6/1. They were wrong when you played Armagh and Derry.

Nobody is realistically saying Monaghan for Sam. From the last 8 teams, i'd agree with the bookies that Monaghan would probably be 7th favourites (maybe 6th above Donegal, who knows). But the focus is on Tyrone next week, and the idea that any confidence is construed as thinking we're 'world beaters' would suggest that Tyrone are the best team out there. I'm not convinced they are. They'll be the favourites, and i'd be shocked if Monaghan beat them the way we beat Donegal. But I wouldn't be 'shocked' by a win.

Schkite

Quote from: Maguire01 on July 28, 2013, 07:55:16 PM
Quote from: Itchy on July 28, 2013, 07:00:51 PM
Well the bookies were wrong when we played Donegal. Very wrong in fact - a few people cleaned up at 6/1. They were wrong when you played Armagh and Derry.

Nobody is realistically saying Monaghan for Sam. From the last 8 teams, i'd agree with the bookies that Monaghan would probably be 7th favourites (maybe 6th above Donegal, who knows). But the focus is on Tyrone next week, and the idea that any confidence is construed as thinking we're 'world beaters' would suggest that Tyrone are the best team out there. I'm not convinced they are. They'll be the favourites, and i'd be shocked if Monaghan beat them the way we beat Donegal. But I wouldn't be 'shocked' by a win.

Monaghan being confident puzzles everybody else, in the rare occurrence we get this far we're expected to lie down and accept a beating, you don't want to upset the status quo.

Really looking forward to Saturday, I know we have the tools to do it and I'm sure Malachy has a suitable plan in place. Should be a great occasion.

babarino

Quote from: cadhlancian on July 28, 2013, 06:53:43 PM

Partly agree with you on the 'ifs' but we haven't got down to the match ups, where each side is strongest and possible weaknesses.

Don't agree with your bottom line, but I hear the Tyrone teamed cheered when they heard they were up against Monaghan next, so they seem to agree with it.

Not one for betting, but I'm sure bookies look at things like League placings, championship records and recent results between the two, which is why they're favourites and that's understandable. While the rest of the country sees (or saw) Monaghan as a team in decline with older players, anyone who looks closely will know about the talent that has come through. We're on the rise and Tyrone aren't as good as they think.

cadhlancian

Tyrone are also the rise my friend. Darren McCurry is 20, as is Mattie Donnelly , Mc Namee , Harte ,McAliskey are all relatively inexperienced at this stage of the AI series. Should be a great game:)

rodney trotter