Who will win on Saturday?

Cavan
25 (61%)
London
16 (39%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Voting closed: July 28, 2013, 09:09:41 PM

Syferus

Nah. More to do with London who have come a tidy little outfit. Fitness needs to be worked on as it seems these lads only have 40 minutes in the tank at championship intensity and that'll cost you in most games.

London have the talent to be a D3 team, but not the conditioning.

bottom brick

Quote from: Syferus on July 27, 2013, 10:48:32 PM
Nah. More to do with London who have come a tidy little outfit. Fitness needs to be worked on as it seems these lads only have 40 minutes in the tank at championship intensity and that'll cost you in most games.

Based on what though? They have lost 6 out of 7 Division 4 games this year and beat Sligo and Leitrim, both division 4. I'd like to see London doing well and they have certainly improved, but dont be losing the run of yourself lad.
Shoot for dough, pass for show...

Syferus

Quote from: bottom brick on July 28, 2013, 10:46:42 AM

Based on what though? They have lost 6 out of 7 Division 4 games this year and beat Sligo and Leitrim, both division 4. I'd like to see London doing well and they have certainly improved, but dont be losing the run of yourself lad.

For the first 40 minutes of four championship games this year, Antrim and Leitrim last year, Mayo and Fermanagh (a win) the year before, London have an established track-record of being more than just competitive with teams above them in the league, but actually better than them. The problem is they are not in the sort of condition that they need to be in to last even 55-65 minutes.

Coggins always has to start throwing subs on either in the first half or early second half to try and counter-act that fact.

If London were even at the fitness levels of Cavan they'd beat most of D4 next year.

tommysmith

Sligo would be Divison 3.

bottom brick

[/quote]

Sligo would be Divison 3.
[/quote]
My mistake, thought they were relegated for some reason.

rodney trotter

Survived in the final round of the League. Wicklow and Antrim went down.

bottom brick

Quote from: Syferus on July 28, 2013, 10:58:42 AM

For the first 40 minutes of four championship games this year, Antrim and Leitrim last year, Mayo and Fermanagh (a win) the year before, London have an established track-record of being more than just competitive with teams above them in the league, but actually better than them. The problem is they are not in the sort of condition that they need to be in to last even 55-65 minutes.

Coggins always has to start throwing subs on either in the first half or early second half to try and counter-act that fact.

If London were even at the fitness levels of Cavan they'd beat most of D4 next year.

But they are not at the fitness levels of Cavan, same as Cavan are not at the fitness levels of Donegal. Do you think Carlow or Waterford footballers are significantly fitter than London? My point is that London have come on leaps and bounds in the last few years, but not to the point that they could survive division 3. You cant say if this, if that.

Syferus

Quote from: bottom brick on July 28, 2013, 05:30:26 PM

But they are not at the fitness levels of Cavan, same as Cavan are not at the fitness levels of Donegal. Do you think Carlow or Waterford footballers are significantly fitter than London? My point is that London have come on leaps and bounds in the last few years, but not to the point that they could survive division 3. You cant say if this, if that.

It's much easier to be at the fitness level of a D3 team than it is to be at that of the All-Irelamd champions. It's a very attainable goal for London and given few of the panel are likely to return home in the short term building on this year is a very real possibility for Coggins and company.

I never said they wouldn't be relegated from D3, just that they could realistically target promotion from D4. Those two things are different standards. Getting experience of D3 would do them the world of good, even if they had to plot D4 promotion again the next season.

bottom brick

Quote from: Syferus on July 28, 2013, 05:49:06 PM
Quote from: bottom brick on July 28, 2013, 05:30:26 PM

It's much easier to be at the fitness level of a D3 team than it is to be at that of the All-Irelamd champions. It's a very attainable goal for London and given few of the panel are likely to return home in the short term building on this year is a very real possibility for Coggins and company.

I never said they wouldn't be relegated from D3, just that they could realistically target promotion from D3. Those two things are different standards. Getting experience of D3 would do them the world of good, even if they had to plot D4 promotion again the next season.

Division 3 would be a great experience for London, no doubt. I just cant see them making the improvement needed. It's not like they missed out on promotion by a whisker, if there was a division 5 they'd be in it! There is no reason why London cant get fitter and improve their conditioning, I just think it will take a bit more than that. I hope they prove me wrong as it would be great for the Irish in London to have a good team to get behind

rodney trotter

The Gaa are giving them good support anyway. London got a 4 million grant last week to up - grade the facilities at Ruislip.

imtommygunn

Mackey has some engine on him. Always had but was one of those boys who if you opened a gate he'd run out it. Really has turned a corner so fair play to him.

While Keating's miss was an absolute stinker he immediately just chased it down without dropping th head. Great example to set.

Doubt cavan will beat kerry but great progress this year and young so more to come i suspect.

Hard to believe antrim beat them in the league!

rodney trotter

Yeah, that was the first game of the league, a real set back for promotion.

Mackey was always a quality player, he wasn't even on the panel last year, one of the 6 dropped by Val Andrews, the time Seanie Johnston was let go.
Didn't have his best game yesterday but was still very influential.

babarino

Quote from: rodney trotter on July 28, 2013, 11:19:35 PM
Mackey was always a quality player, he wasn't even on the panel last year, one of the 6 dropped by Val Andrews, the time Seanie Johnston was let go.
Didn't have his best game yesterday but was still very influential.

Interesting that Val Andrews didn't have Mackey on the panel! Jaysus, his performances so far this year merit an All-Star nomination if he puts in a good shift against Kerry.

cavanmaniac

Mackey's revival of fortunes is likely down to his ability to buy into the new regime's way of doing things, possibly/allegedly/maybe unlike some of the others who didn't make it back on to the panel.

There has to be a reason why very talented footballers were told to leave the Cavan squad and it's not because Val Andrews was mentally deficient or temporarily insane or bizarrely just thought they were all shite.

rodney trotter

He has adapted well to the new role he has been given, playing the roving role which Mark McHugh plays for Donegal. Probaly a better footballer then McHugh, He has also bulked up a lot from the year off the panel which has also been beneficial, as he has now power and pace..