Who will win on Saturday?

Cavan
25 (61%)
London
16 (39%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Voting closed: July 28, 2013, 09:09:41 PM

bottom brick

Great news that the game is going to be played in Croke Park, a very real chance for Cavan to get two games in Croker this year. Is there any chance that London could pull out a huge shock? We do have an agent in their ranks, are we allowed ask for him back?
Shoot for dough, pass for show...

Jinxy

Some craic if Mulvey scores the winning goal for London Town!
If you were any use you'd be playing.

rodney trotter

No giving away Free's with Mulvey about:) They are fairly limited bar Mulvey. Mark Gottschse would have been a key player for them, got injured in the first game against Leitrim and has been out since.

Big pitch like Croke Park will suit Cavan as its a young team and they will have superior fitness to London.

Syferus

Quote from: rodney trotter on July 22, 2013, 09:19:50 PM
No giving away Free's with Mulvey about:) They are fairly limited bar Mulvey. Mark Gottschse would have been a key player for them, got injured in the first game against Leitrim and has been out since.

Big pitch like Croke Park will suit Cavan as its a young team and they will have superior fitness to London.

McCallion, Dunleavy, Hannon and Geraghty are all good footballers too. If London take this seriously this will be no walk-over. London need to build towards being consistently competitive next year and that journey starts on Saturday.

rodney trotter

Quote from: Syferus on July 22, 2013, 09:33:31 PM

McCallion, Dunleavy, Hannon and Geraghty are all good footballers too. If London take this seriously this will be no walk-over. London need to build towards being consistently competitive next year and that journey starts on Saturday.

Did they not take the Connacht final serious? It's hard for them to focus on the following year as they won't know who will be there year by year. Even from last years panel a few of the key players returned to Ireland. The 2011 side that drew with Mayo is very different to this panel.

Captain Obvious

Would have to fear for London in this tie, you need more than six days to recover from hammering. At least London will get a run out in Croke park.

Wildweasel74

Its a very good chance for cavan to blood some of those younger lads on the bench and who came on against team, championship game time is important, it nay lead to a tighter game but cavan will win regardless, it be more important to see how much their back up players are up to it!!

anglocelt39

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on July 22, 2013, 10:04:57 PM
Its a very good chance for cavan to blood some of those younger lads on the bench and who came on against team, championship game time is important, it nay lead to a tighter game but cavan will win regardless, it be more important to see how much their back up players are up to it!!

Been thinking about this a bit myself and I reckon Terry will name as close to his strongest line up as is possible. Anything else would be seen to be taking London for granted and would lead to absolutely colossal fallout if London were to pull off a major upset. We had such a situation in the final league match a few years ago when the programme  notes complimented Cavan on promotion to Division 2 a tad prematurely.
Having said that, I agree with your comment about a few possible changes if only because after five hard games there have to be lads carrying knocks, suffering a bit of fatigue. Think Terry will keep the changes to a minimum.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

rodney trotter

Cavan will start the strongest possible team Id imagine,No pressure on London as Cavan are favourites for once. Its great for both team to be playing in Croke Park this time of the year, Cavan are making progress and will hopefully be back lots more in future year's.

Syferus

Quote from: rodney trotter on July 22, 2013, 09:40:01 PM
Quote from: Syferus on July 22, 2013, 09:33:31 PM

Did they not take the Connacht final serious? It's hard for them to focus on the following year as they won't know who will be there year by year. Even from last years panel a few of the key players returned to Ireland. The 2011 side that drew with Mayo is very different to this panel.

It's incredibly easy for teams to lose in the provincial championship and not come back hungry for the Qualifiers. Add in a six-day turnaround and London have to decide if they want to be Sligo'd or not. I'd hope knowing deep down they weren't going to win the Connacht final means they're fully focused on Saturday.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: bottom brick on July 22, 2013, 09:07:22 PM
Great news that the game is going to be played in Croke Park, a very real chance for Cavan to get two games in Croker this year. Is there any chance that London could pull out a huge shock? We do have an agent in their ranks, are we allowed ask for him back?

No would be my answer to the bit in bold.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Westside

We have to be as solid and hard working as we have been thus far, nothing less will do. I'm not particularly bothered about the performance, an inch or a mile, we just need to get over the line. It's good for both teams that it's in Croker especially as that won't be another variable going into the AIQF, lads will have popped their Croker cherries.

The simple truth of it is that if you can't beat London to get into an All Ireland Quarter Final then you don't deserve to get there. Terry isn't fool enough to put out a load of young lads and risk underestimating London but might get away with one or two "forced" changes.

spuds

Cavan to win as Mayo did, see Paddy Power odds below.

QuoteCAVAN V LONDON   Saturday 27th July 2013, 15:00
Match Betting   Hide
Cavan 1/33   
Draw 20/1   
London 12/1 Top
Handicap Betting   Hide
Cavan (-11.0) 10/11   
Handicap Draw (-11.0) 11/1   
London (+11.0) evens
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

mylestheslasher

It would be a huge shock if London were to win this and that is why Cavan are priced at 1/33. However, stranger things have happened so it is critical that the team approach the game just as they have done before with the same meticulous assessment of their opponents and organising the correct match ups on the field. London are here on merit and will be hurting from the loss to Mayo and will want to do well on the big stage that is Croke park. I listened to a few of the interviews with Mackey, Argue & Hyland after the Derry match. None made the assumption we would be playing London and this was impressive and level headed considering they had just come from the dressing room after a great win. I don't think these lads will make the mistake of being laid back and they will drive at London from the start. We have done well this year but we have not earned the right to look down our noses at anyone, but for some big luck last year we could be playing in Div 4 this year ourselves. With the assumption that we will be focused and up for it, I expect Cavan to prevail by 6 points and I couldn't care less if it was 1 point as long as we win.