LIDL, making a political point? whats the story?

Started by lawnseed, June 13, 2013, 07:32:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lar Naparka

Quote from: lawnseed on June 28, 2013, 06:39:43 PM
the use of the ulster banner... ? no reply..  i'll try again.. i watch too much vincent..
What's the craic with the Ulster banner?
It obviously is offensive to you so it must mean something to 'themmuns,' but I don't know what the fuss is about.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

lawnseed

in reply to my enquiry regarding the use of the ulster banner re the six counties on lidl storefinder maps. i have been told that the matter has been referred to the advertising dept. they apologise for any offence caused.

I'll wait to see if they bother to change it before i arm my photon torpedoes..
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

lawnseed

Quote from: Lar Naparka on June 30, 2013, 03:48:13 PM
the use of the ulster banner... ? no reply..  i'll try again.. i watch too much vincent..
It obviously is offensive to you so it must mean something to 'themmuns,' but I don't know what the fuss is about.

if i have to endure a foreign flag i'd rather the butchers apron than the ulster banner thats how bad it is to me.. >:(

Maguire01

Quote from: lawnseed on July 02, 2013, 09:45:25 PM

if i have to endure a foreign flag i'd rather the butchers apron than the ulster banner thats how bad it is to me.. >:(
Oh to have so little to worry about!

michaelg

For what reason(s) do you prefer the Union flag then?

lawnseed

Quote from: michaelg on July 02, 2013, 10:23:14 PM

well for now it is the actual fleg of this place.. ask jamie or wullie.. the ulster banner is the flag of nowhere its a loyalist paramilitary symbol..

michaelg

Quote from: lawnseed on July 02, 2013, 10:36:51 PM

well for now it is the actual fleg of this place.. ask jamie or wullie.. the ulster banner is the flag of nowhere its a loyalist paramilitary symbol..
Do you not think it's a bit simplistic to say that it is solely a loyalist paramilitary symbol?  By the same argument, given the IRA's association with the tricolour, then that flag too could perhaps be described as a republican paramilitary symbol also.

Myles Na G.

The ulster banner is a flag close to the heart of many thousands of Irish men and women - unless you take the view that loyalists aren't really Irish people at all, which is grand, but if they're not really Irish, then maybe they are a separate people like they've been saying for all these years and as such, deserving of the right to self determination, just like the Irish. If you do happen to think that loyalists can be Irish too, then the Ulster banner is an Irish flag, just like the tricolour, so where's the problem?

armaghniac

The Ulster banner is only the flag of a political faction, one with rather repellent views. It is not the flag of a legitimate place and so has no business on a supermarket website.

QuoteThe ulster banner is a flag close to the heart of many thousands of Irish men and women

One imagines that this is a flag close to hearts of may thousands of men and women in Lidl's homeland., should it also have a place?

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

grounded

Quote from: michaelg on July 02, 2013, 10:59:25 PM

Do you not think it's a bit simplistic to say that it is solely a loyalist paramilitary symbol?  By the same argument, given the IRA's association with the tricolour, then that flag too could perhaps be described as a republican paramilitary symbol also.

Was about to say I never read such cr*p in all my life, but unfortunately had a look at a few of your other posts.

lawnseed

Quote from: armaghniac on July 02, 2013, 11:31:26 PM
The Ulster banner is only the flag of a political faction, one with rather repellent views. It is not the flag of a legitimate place and so has no business on a supermarket website.

One imagines that this is a flag close to hearts of may thousands of men and women in Lidl's homeland., should it also have a place?

the flag of this place is the union jack. the ulster banner is not the flag of the 6 counties nor is it the the ulster flag nor is it the flag of the ulster rugby team as some loyalists seem to think. its use on the lidl website to depict the six counties doesn't stand up and neither do the letters ie or nie as depicted regarding the 26 counties since the correct letters are IRL. This slip up tells us exactly where the boob has been made.. deutsland

michaelg

Quote from: grounded on July 02, 2013, 11:44:24 PM
Quote from: michaelg on July 02, 2013, 10:59:25 PM

Was about to say I never read such cr*p in all my life, but unfortunately had a look at a few of your other posts.
So anyone who identifies with the Ulster banner automatically supports loyalist paramilitaries?  Incidentally, I was not saying that the tricolour is a republican paramilitary symbol, I was simply saying that the same simplistic argument could be applied.

Hardy

Quote from: lawnseed on July 02, 2013, 11:52:01 PM
the flag of this place is the union jack. the ulster banner is not the flag of the 6 counties nor is it the the ulster flag nor is it the flag of the ulster rugby team as some loyalists seem to think. its use on the lidl website to depict the six counties doesn't stand up and neither do the letters ie or nie as depicted regarding the 26 counties since the correct letters are IRL. This slip up tells us exactly where the boob has been made.. deutsland

It's amazing what you can get in Lidl.

Myles Na G.

Quote from: armaghniac on July 02, 2013, 11:31:26 PM

QuoteThe ulster banner is a flag close to the heart of many thousands of Irish men and women

Now you're showing your political biases. Saying that NI is not a legitimate place is flying in the face of the evidence, since the existence of NI is a fact acknowledged by various international treaties. You may not like that or agree with it, but take it up with your political rep. Comparing the Ulster banner to the swastika again betrays your own prejudice and ignorance. Like I said earlier, the Ulster banner is the flag of choice of many thousands of your fellow countrymen and women. Branding them all Nazis won't do much for the cause of Irish reunification, IMO.

Maguire01

NI may be a legitimate place, but the Ulster Banner has no status.