Greatest all rounder of the last 25 years

Started by rrhf, May 10, 2013, 12:42:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who is the best all rounder  from 1988, versatile, multi skilled and adaptable to the game.

Graeme geraghty
20 (19%)
Peter Canavan
15 (14.3%)
Daragh o se
4 (3.8%)
Thomas o se
7 (6.7%)
Brian dooher
7 (6.7%)
Mickey linden
4 (3.8%)
Anthony tohill
23 (21.9%)
James mc cartan
2 (1.9%)
Paul mc grane
3 (2.9%)
Sean cavanagh
14 (13.3%)
Seamus moynihan
14 (13.3%)
Colum cooper
3 (2.9%)
Michael donnellan
14 (13.3%)
Pauric Joyce
5 (4.8%)
Martin o Connell
5 (4.8%)
Declan Browne
2 (1.9%)
Larry Tompkins
1 (1%)
Ciaran mc donald
9 (8.6%)
Dermot early
2 (1.9%)
Eamon o hara
6 (5.7%)
Philip Jordan
4 (3.8%)
Steve Cluxton
0 (0%)
Keiran mc geeney
7 (6.7%)
Oisin m conville
9 (8.6%)
Stephen o Neill
5 (4.8%)
Tony scullion
7 (6.7%)
Charlie Redmond
0 (0%)
Darren Faye
3 (2.9%)
Steve mc Donald
1 (1%)
Joe Mc Mahon
4 (3.8%)
Trebor Giles
5 (4.8%)
Pj Gillic
0 (0%)
Nudie Hughes
2 (1.9%)
Paul Galvin
1 (1%)
Darren Hughes
0 (0%)
Greg Blaney
6 (5.7%)

Total Members Voted: 105

Voting closed: May 22, 2013, 12:42:37 AM

From the Bunker

Has to Greg Blaney!

Anyway, a good all rounder is not playing different positions on the field of play.

It's being able to play all the positions in your position!

Be a good defender, a good forward, pace, vision, read a game, find a pass, field a ball, block a kick, kick a free!

Just thought, I know who fits that bill  - Tomas O Se!

Wildweasel74

Funny where i went with Tohill as the best midfielder around i opted for the pony in this one, though in hindsight, when i think of all the positions Tohill could play maybe i should have went with him

Mac hinery

Mick Lyons could have played any position he wanted and nobody would have argued with him or told him to get back

Wildweasel74

my view of a good all rounder is an ability to stand out among other county men in his ability to play a number of positions, Joe McMahon is probably the current stand out currently playing though hes stands out in certain position but would be average in  other positions. Ger Power of Kerry was a great forward and defender and i u suppose he stands out as he has 8 all-irelands though he was long gone by the 25yr mark we looking at. One name i dont seen there is nughie hughes who won all start in the full back line and full forward line, thats pretty versatile to me

seafoid

Quote from: Jinxy on May 10, 2013, 10:07:27 AM
I think it's safe to say that Meath are the best all round team of the last 25 years.
as comfortable winning all irelands as in division 3.

CK_Redhand

Trebor Giles must be extra strong to get no votes as of yet

Jinxy

Half the names are spelled incorrectly in fairness.
He even got PJ McGranes name wrong.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Jinxy

Quote from: Hardy on May 10, 2013, 07:18:24 PM
Ah you have to have served a stint in both defence and attack at least to be considered for an all-rounder nomination.

Did you head down to Tayto Park this evening Hardy?
Thought I saw you on the see-saw with Big Joe.

Hardy

If you saw the two of us you must have seen Armagh's Big Joe on the other side.

seafoid

All of these best of the last x years are fairly pointless. Unless you can't vote for a man from your own county. But then very few people would vote.   

rrhf

Feck all votes for Blaney so far for all the whinging.

theticklemister

Quote from: rrhf on May 11, 2013, 03:16:34 PM
Feck all votes for Blaney so far for all the whinging.

by the time you put it up we had all voted!!!!

Jinxy

Quote from: seafoid on May 11, 2013, 02:52:33 PM
All of these best of the last x years are fairly pointless. Unless you can't vote for a man from your own county. But then very few people would vote.

Graham Geraghty is winning.
That speaks volumes given the number of Tyrone posters we have.

johnneycool

Both Brian Whelahan and Brian Corcoran have won hurling allstars in defence and forwards, whereas wee Tommy Welsh has won allstars in the defence, forwards and midfield, some boyo is tommy.

IIRC Brian Whelahan won his forwards one after a bit of controversy, he was getting a bit of a working in the first few minutes of the AI that year and was moved to full forward after about 15 minutes where he then scored 1-6 from play. The only time he ever played there for Offaly.

From the Bunker

Quote from: johnneycool on May 13, 2013, 02:02:23 PM
Both Brian Whelahan and Brian Corcoran have won hurling allstars in defence and forwards, whereas wee Tommy Welsh has won allstars in the defence, forwards and midfield, some boyo is tommy.

IIRC Brian Whelahan won his forwards one after a bit of controversy, he was getting a bit of a working in the first few minutes of the AI that year and was moved to full forward after about 15 minutes where he then scored 1-6 from play. The only time he ever played there for Offaly.

Was it Whelahan that one year got 'Player of the Year' and did not get an All Star?