Donegal on slippery slope?

Started by ck, April 08, 2013, 09:06:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: Hardy on April 30, 2013, 11:33:42 AM
O'Neill's statement is typical official GAA, Lord Denning style blame deflection. The officials are never wrong, you see. That would be an appalling vista.

Why is nobody taking him to task on his implicit admission that the CCCC convicted without evidence in the first place?

His statement is pissing fuel onto the fire.

He attacks Donegal for not producing some evidence he strongly hints might change the outcome, that suggestion alone implicates the Dublin player, he has hung the CCCC for giving a verdict without the evidence mentioned earlier and all together he ultimately is blaming everyone else for the problem. Real leadership there.
MWWSI 2017

Whitnail

Would be a bit concerned alright.

From a betting perspective I'd put Tyrone as favourites at the moment to win Ulster even though they were 7/2 with powers a few weeks ago.

Not much time to get a new gameplan into action considering everyone knows the old one inside out by now.

Alot of predictable long balls up to Murphy and seemingly few reliable scoring options outside him and McFadden.

Back door option looms large I feel. Tyrone would need to have a bad day . Even with an extra man they were well better than us in the league game.

Syferus

Quote from: Whitnail on May 01, 2013, 12:21:55 AM

From a betting perspective I'd put Tyrone as favourites at the moment to win Ulster even though they were 7/2 with powers a few weeks ago.

Not much time to get a new gameplan into action considering everyone knows the old one inside out by now.

Alot of predictable long balls up to Murphy and seemingly few reliable scoring options outside him and McFadden.

Back door option looms large I feel. Tyrone would need to have a bad day . Even with an extra man they were well better than us in the league game.

I guess it's your proud confidence in your team that made you sign up to the forum, eh?

Rule #1: defending AI champions will never get to play the poor mouth so you're better off not trying.

It'll be a war but Donegal still hold the aces.

J70

Very pessimistic outlook there. Everyone knew the gameplan last year too. Most teams couldn't cope in the championship, despite the shite league performances. Personally, I'd be far more worried about hunger and intensity than tactics. Given the past two seasons, I've no worries at all about Jim on the tactical front and there's no way the game will be all about aimless balls into Murphy. Whether the players have the hunger when the game's on the line will be the key. No team, apart from Kerry (once), have been able to pull it together two years in a row since Cork 1990. And hunger and intensity is where I fear from this Tyrone team may have the edge. Whether they have the talent remains to be seen. Their supporters certainly think so, although quite a few of them were hyping themselves up this time last year.

rrhf

johnneycool

Point 1: Liam O'Neill gets on my tits.

Point 2: Were the hearing committee reviewing the rationale behind the CCCC's proposal for the 3 month/game suspension for the Dublin lad or were they re-doing the whole disciplinary hearing?

If they were only reviewing the CCCC's proposal they wouldn't have needed further input from either Dublin, the referee or Donegal let alone McBrearty.

Main Street

Quote from: J70 on April 30, 2013, 11:17:04 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on April 30, 2013, 11:01:41 AM
Quote from: J70 on April 30, 2013, 10:40:07 AM
Pretty clear that he's saying that had McBrearty agreed to testify, the outcome would have been different.

I don't read it like that at all to be honest. I read it that because he never turned up to give his evidence, the full facts couldn't come out.

You are correct.
And I think McBrearty was right not to give evidence. One player should not put himself in the situation of testifying against another in such a CCCC procedure. If there isn't enough (other) evidence and the charged player denies it, then it should be dropped.
There was a farce some years ago in an end of season EPL game when Alan Shearer blatantly booted  a prone Neil Lennon in the face.
The ref  said he "missed it" but Shearer was charged afterwards and Lennon was called to testify. What was he going to say other than it appeared accidental and he hardly felt it. Immediately afterwards  Lennon said that the ref should have had the balls to deal with it at the time and he wasn't interested in being a part of this process, or words to that effect.

rrhf

Would the GPA have talked to any parties here in an effort to sort the thing out.  If not should they be encouraged to talk to people behind the scenes like?   

BluestackBoy

I have to assume that you are a Donegal man from your use of the word "us". If that is the case then your knowledge of Donegal's tactics in championship games is lamentable. You state that everyone knows their "old" gameplan. A wee test for you then, explain it.
As for the league game, that was a league game, in winter, in Omagh, a world of difference from a championship game, in summer in Ballybofey.
For what shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world & loses his soul.

trileacman

Whatever about the McKeever case I could agree with O'Neill here. Donegal made a case of the alleged bite and went to the CCCC with it, then Donegal/McBearty drop it before the final hearing and the GAA can do nothing but declare the accused innocent.

If Donegal weren't happy to see the case through to the end then they shouldn't have bothered bringing it up in the first place. No fault of the CCCC
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

trileacman

Quote from: Main Street on May 01, 2013, 02:37:38 PM
Quote from: J70 on April 30, 2013, 11:17:04 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on April 30, 2013, 11:01:41 AM
Quote from: J70 on April 30, 2013, 10:40:07 AM
Pretty clear that he's saying that had McBrearty agreed to testify, the outcome would have been different.

I don't read it like that at all to be honest. I read it that because he never turned up to give his evidence, the full facts couldn't come out.

You are correct.
And I think McBrearty was right not to give evidence. One player should not put himself in the situation of testifying against another in such a CCCC procedure. If there isn't enough (other) evidence and the charged player denies it, then it should be dropped.
There was a farce some years ago in an end of season EPL game when Alan Shearer blatantly booted  a prone Neil Lennon in the face.
The ref  said he "missed it" but Shearer was charged afterwards and Lennon was called to testify. What was he going to say other than it appeared accidental and he hardly felt it. Immediately afterwards  Lennon said that the ref should have had the balls to deal with it at the time and he wasn't interested in being a part of this process, or words to that effect.

That makes no sense. So McBearty is right to accuse O'Brien of biting but shouldn't have to follow through on those accusations in a manner that O'Brien can defend himself?

Or the ref should have dealt with it at the time? "Ref he bit me" and send O'Brien off at half-time?
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

BluestackBoy

Quote from: trileacman on May 02, 2013, 10:13:35 PM
Whatever about the McKeever case I could agree with O'Neill here. Donegal made a case of the alleged bite and went to the CCCC with it, then Donegal/McBearty drop it before the final hearing and the GAA can do nothing but declare the accused innocent.

If Donegal weren't happy to see the case through to the end then they shouldn't have bothered bringing it up in the first place. No fault of the CCCC

As I understand it the CCCC acted on foot of the referee's report not at Donegal's request.

Whitnail

Quote from: BluestackBoy on May 02, 2013, 06:27:44 PM

I have to assume that you are a Donegal man from your use of the word "us". If that is the case then your knowledge of Donegal's tactics in championship games is lamentable. You state that everyone knows their "old" gameplan. A wee test for you then, explain it.
As for the league game, that was a league game, in winter, in Omagh, a world of difference from a championship game, in summer in Ballybofey.

You want me to explain their tactics.

I presume you ask this for your own benefit? A 6 year old girl from Laois can do that for you if you ask them nicely .So drop the 'Superiority' complex right there sunny.

I not one of those yellow and green glass tainted yes men who have nothing to add to a conversation other than 'we're better than yous' 'It'll be a different game in ballybofey' 'Donegal don't care about the Leauge' guff.

From  what I've read from your posts that's pretty much what I'm getting from you  .No offence.

Am I concerned? Yes

Why wouldn't anyone. We deserved to get relegated and Tyrone have  been gelling and playing at a superior level .

BluestackBoy

Quote from: Whitnail on May 02, 2013, 11:25:48 PM
Quote from: BluestackBoy on May 02, 2013, 06:27:44 PM

You want me to explain their tactics.

I presume you ask this for your own benefit? A 6 year old girl from Laois can do that for you if you ask them nicely .So drop the 'Superiority' complex right there sunny.

I not one of those yellow and green glass tainted yes men who have nothing to add to a conversation other than 'we're better than yous' 'It'll be a different game in ballybofey' 'Donegal don't care about the Leauge' guff.

From  what I've read from your posts that's pretty much what I'm getting from you  .No offence.

Am I concerned? Yes

Why wouldn't anyone. We deserved to get relegated and Tyrone have  been gelling and playing at a superior level .

The reason I asked you to explain their tactics, which I notice you didn't, is because there isn't just one set of tactics. Donegal, in championship mode, employ a range of tactics & strategies depending on the situation in which they find themselves. I have no doubt that they will have something in mind for the challenge Tyrone will put up but it will not be the same as what they used against Mayo because they are different teams with different strengths & weaknesses. Will it be enough, who knows?

Your "we deserved to get relegated" comment added to the general tenor of your contributions leads me to believe that you are not a Donegal man at all but a troll masquerading as one of Tir Conaill's best.

By the way "sunny" should be sonny, "tainted" should be tinted & "leauge" should be league. No Donegal man would post such a sloppy effort!!   

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: BluestackBoy on May 02, 2013, 11:59:43 PM
Your "we deserved to get relegated" comment added to the general tenor of your contributions leads me to believe that you are not a Donegal man at all but a troll masquerading as one of Tir Conaill's best.

I presume that you want Inis Eoghain's best included in your squad come the 26th too?  ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...