Donegal on slippery slope?

Started by ck, April 08, 2013, 09:06:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

Quote from: INDIANA on April 29, 2013, 07:41:07 AM
Quote from: RMDrive on April 28, 2013, 03:24:19 PM
Quote from: Zulu on April 28, 2013, 03:12:39 PM
Quote from: Orchardman on April 28, 2013, 02:52:17 PM
The real issue is how the dubs have gone on the offensive over by calling the whole thing a mess, farce etc, no evidence, disgrace that donegal would lie, poor wee o'brien, blah blah.

Havn't seen one comment of condemnation for even the possibility of their player doing this disgusting act

That's not true in fairness. When this first emerged most Dublin folk seemed to want the player banned for life from the Dublin team if he was guilty. It's only as this developed they changed tune and that appears to be because they are 100% sure their player didn't bite McBrearty. I don't know what happened but if I was a betting man, based on the confidence of every Dub and the actions of Dublin GAA during this episode I would bet there was no bite from a Dublin player. I may be wrong but it seems to me that Donegal are saying nothing and doing nothing while Dublin have confidently rejected the charge from the get go.

Honest question Zulu .. .can you give me a link where anyone involved in the Dublin setup has "rejected the charge"? You know as well as I do that the DCB statement about it being a bruise rather than a laceration, in no way denies that there was a bite.

Hell of a difference between a scratch and a bite.

I mean I picked up scratches in every game I ever played in as I'm sure most did. Its a physical contact sport.

If I thought for one minute O Brien did it I'd happily see him banned for life from playing for Dublin. I said that from the start and I stand over it.

Its amazing how nobody is now talking about Donegal's championship preparations at present, their poor league performance or the fact their panel is effectively only 5 subs deep.

Funny that........................

Surely Philly McMahon should be banned for life then??!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rh6YQBgD-0A

J70

In fairness, he might just have been blowing his nose on him! :P

Did the Cork lad get in bother for the swing?

muppet

Quote from: J70 on April 29, 2013, 02:16:15 PM

In fairness it should have been investigated as well. It might have been ignored due to the lack of a complaint by Cork and a 'Trial by Sunday Game' fatigue that had crept in a few years ago.
MWWSI 2017

J70

Quote from: heffo on April 29, 2013, 09:20:32 AM
Quote from: J70 on April 28, 2013, 01:29:42 PM
Quote from: heffo on April 28, 2013, 12:55:02 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on April 28, 2013, 12:46:21 PM
Sweet Jaysus! Thank god Mayo did not bother to high light the gauging incident a few weeks back on Thompson from Donegal. Feck, the amount of bother from complaining/reporting an incident makes you wonder is better to take what you got and move on or face the full wrath of the jury and media. Some one is lying and at this juncture i doubt if the even the Great Man above knows who. Personally, I don't really care. Incidents happen in football, some are got away with some are not. Unless you have substantial proof of an incident, then there is no case. The word from the two involved counts for nothing. People will lie to get what ever outcome they want. Time to move on (and wait in the long grass to sort this out later on)!

Wasn't going to point that out.

We know the stance of the Donegal county board on 'biting', regrettably we don't know their stance, on gouging, feigning injury or members of their Senior mgt team entering the pitch to try and influence the referee to send off players when no offence has taken place, as they've been absolutely silent on these transgressions.

Yes heffo, because Donegal are the ONLY team/county out there guilty of silence when its their own players who offend and fighting their corner when their players are on the receiving end.

Difference being the highest officials in other counties don't come out in condemnation when their own team behave like corner boys.

I'm assuming this is a reference to the provocation of Connolly and Boyle's dive?

If so, I've no idea if Donegal officials commented on it, and whether they did so before they saw the replays or Cassidy's later revelations.

I wasn't in much of a mood for follow up on that game, save a little discussion here. Have never even watched a replay of it. It was a painful defeat.

So you'll have to provide more details of who said what. If anything was said defending Boyle after it was obvious he dived, then of course it was wrong. That alone doesn't prove that, one shameful incident aside, that the Donegal county board/management are any different to other counties or Arsene Wenger or officials in just about any other sport.

J70

Quote from: muppet on April 29, 2013, 02:38:47 PM
Quote from: J70 on April 29, 2013, 02:16:15 PM

In fairness it should have been investigated as well. It might have been ignored due to the lack of a complaint by Cork and a 'Trial by Sunday Game' fatigue that had crept in a few years ago.

From what I read, neither the bite nor the swing were seen or acted upon at the time.

Interesting though.

Fear ón Srath Bán

A few feathers ruffled upstairs...

O'Neill slams Donegal
30 April 2013

Liam O'Neill has criticised Donegal for not seeing through the case against Kevin O'Brien.

The Dublin defender was last week cleared of allegedly biting Paddy McBrearty due to a lack of evidence and O'Neill says Donegal were guilty of not contributing to the investigation:

"The ideal thing would have been, having set the wheels in motion, that the process would have been seen through," the GAA president told the Irish Examiner.

"I think there's a certain level of disappointment with this case. It would have been better if they knew they weren't going to see it out to the end. It left people who acted in good faith with an outcome that wasn't satisfactory.

"In fairness to the CCCC, they're volunteers, they come in here, the majority of them, and they do their business.

"People who had evidence didn't show and that's it. There's nothing we can do about it. Our system has improved dramatically. Páraic [Duffy] put that on the record last week. It works when people co-operate with it and tell what happened - that didn't happen in this case.

"A case like this highlights how well it works in most cases. We were left with flimsy evidence and depending on direct evidence, which didn't show. That was it.

"In general, if we are to have success with the Respect initiative people might discipline their own players where incidents that are not acceptable take place. If we could get to that level then we would be very happy at central level that our processes are working well."

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=191234
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

orangeman

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on April 30, 2013, 10:06:21 AM
A few feathers ruffled upstairs...

O'Neill slams Donegal
30 April 2013

Liam O'Neill has criticised Donegal for not seeing through the case against Kevin O'Brien.

The Dublin defender was last week cleared of allegedly biting Paddy McBrearty due to a lack of evidence and O'Neill says Donegal were guilty of not contributing to the investigation:

"The ideal thing would have been, having set the wheels in motion, that the process would have been seen through," the GAA president told the Irish Examiner.

"I think there's a certain level of disappointment with this case. It would have been better if they knew they weren't going to see it out to the end. It left people who acted in good faith with an outcome that wasn't satisfactory.

"In fairness to the CCCC, they're volunteers, they come in here, the majority of them, and they do their business.

"People who had evidence didn't show and that's it. There's nothing we can do about it. Our system has improved dramatically. Páraic [Duffy] put that on the record last week. It works when people co-operate with it and tell what happened - that didn't happen in this case.

"A case like this highlights how well it works in most cases. We were left with flimsy evidence and depending on direct evidence, which didn't show. That was it.

"In general, if we are to have success with the Respect initiative people might discipline their own players where incidents that are not acceptable take place. If we could get to that level then we would be very happy at central level that our processes are working well."

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=191234

What a load of shite Liam.

All we were left with was "flimsy evidence". If it was flimsy in the first instance why "do" the Dublin player on this basis only to walk away from it at a hearing.

So it's Donegal's fault for not following through with the whole thing.

Dublin's fault for not disciplining their own player in the absence of firm, irrefutable evidence.

And by the way, the CCC are all dencent, honourable men most of whom are volunteers. Yes they're honourable and decent people and there's no doubting that, but surely this proposed sanction was doomed to failure from the beginning and should not have been proposed ?.

This case has been one of most embarassing for the GAA in years and no amount of attributing blame to Donegal and Dublin on the part of Liam O'Neill can excuse or reason this away.

J70

Pretty clear that he's saying that had McBrearty agreed to testify, the outcome would have been different.

orangeman

Quote from: J70 on April 30, 2013, 10:40:07 AM
Pretty clear that he's saying that had McBrearty agreed to testify, the outcome would have been different.

What Liam O'Neill IS cleary saying is that the Hearings committee were left with nothing but "flimsy" evidence in the absence of Donegal seeing the process out.

We can only speculate that had Mc Brearty gone and given his "evidence" whatever that was, then the outcome could might been different we don't know that for sure.

Would the hearings committee have stuck to the proposed suspension based on one man's word against another ?.

Which is back to the point I made last week - X accuses Y of an infraction - manager A reports the alleged infraction to referee B. Referee puts it in report - CCC propose a suspension on foot of the referees report which in the GAA is the gospel truth. The player hit with the proposed suspension appeals - Player X comes along with A fellow player and the person alleged to have committed the infraction gets done as the Hearings Committee have testimony from the referee and 2 players that it happened. And the GAA disciplinary system is working ?.

AZOffaly

I don't read it like that at all to be honest. I read it that because he never turned up to give his evidence, the full facts couldn't come out.

imtommygunn

I wouldn't read it as that either J70. This thread is evidence that everything that happened now is mere speculation as the case couldn't be seen through to completion. It is a pity. I don't think it was made up but I'll never know.

Basically the whole case was started and should have been finished but never was able to be through no fault of the disciplinary committees. Things like the McKeever case show they're not great however in this case I don't know what they could do.

J70

Quote from: orangeman on April 30, 2013, 10:50:20 AM

What Liam O'Neill IS cleary saying is that the Hearings committee were left with nothing but "flimsy" evidence in the absence of Donegal seeing the process out.

We can only speculate that had Mc Brearty gone and given his "evidence" whatever that was, then the outcome could might been different we don't know that for sure.

Would the hearings committee have stuck to the proposed suspension based on one man's word against another ?.

Which is back to the point I made last week - X accuses Y of an infraction - manager A reports the alleged infraction to referee B. Referee puts it in report - CCC propose a suspension on foot of the referees report which in the GAA is the gospel truth. The player hit with the proposed suspension appeals - Player X comes along with A fellow player and the person alleged to have committed the infraction gets done as the Hearings Committee have testimony from the referee and 2 players that it happened. And the GAA disciplinary system is working ?.

Yes, you're right.

J70

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 30, 2013, 11:01:41 AM

I don't read it like that at all to be honest. I read it that because he never turned up to give his evidence, the full facts couldn't come out.

You are correct.

Hardy

O'Neill's statement is typical official GAA, Lord Denning style blame deflection. The officials are never wrong, you see. That would be an appalling vista.

Why is nobody taking him to task on his implicit admission that the CCCC convicted without evidence in the first place?

orangeman

Quote from: Hardy on April 30, 2013, 11:33:42 AM
O'Neill's statement is typical official GAA, Lord Denning style blame deflection. The officials are never wrong, you see. That would be an appalling vista.

Why is nobody taking him to task on his implicit admission that the CCCC convicted without evidence in the first place?

Why ?

Cos there's no point. As you rightly and correctly say, they're never wrong - when they're wrong they're still right.

Everybody else's fault.

He states - "   It works when people co-operate with it and tell what happened – that didn't happen in this case. A case like this highlights how well it works in most cases. We were left with flimsy evidence and depending on direct evidence, which didn't show. That was it."

Am I reading this right ? This case shows how well the GAA disciplinary system works ? Is Alistair Campbell working for the GAA now ?