MRI scan

Started by BennyCake, March 03, 2013, 04:42:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyCake

I'm due to go for a MRI scan in a few days. I had one before, and found it very claustrophobic, and just about got through it. I need two this time, so I'll be in there for around 40 minutes. Not looking forward to it one bit.

I spoke to my GP and he's prescribed me Diazepam (5mg) to take, if needed. Never took Diazepam before, so not sure how it will affect or help me.

Anyone got any advice or experience of Diazepam in a situation like this? Any help would be really appreciated.

ziggysego

No, but I've been in an MRI machine as a child. Found it very stressful. Ask the MR technologist for scan-friendly headphones and get them to play and album you enjoy listening to. Should help you relax a little and probably better for you have any medical induced help.

You may have to phone ahead, to organise this.
Testing Accessibility

RMDrive

Quote from: BennyCake on March 03, 2013, 04:42:09 PM
I'm due to go for a MRI scan in a few days. I had one before, and found it very claustrophobic, and just about got through it. I need two this time, so I'll be in there for around 40 minutes. Not looking forward to it one bit.

I spoke to my GP and he's prescribed me Diazepam (5mg) to take, if needed. Never took Diazepam before, so not sure how it will affect or help me.

Anyone got any advice or experience of Diazepam in a situation like this? Any help would be really appreciated.

I take them for my back now and again (it's a muscle relaxant). TBH 5mg isn't that much and whenever I take one the only thing I notice is that I tend to sleep very deeply that night. Now that you know what to expect perhaps you'll have an easier time of it. I fell asleep in the last one I had. Good luck with it anyway.

Tony Baloney

I have took Diazepam in the past for flying. It takes the edge off rather than conking you out so might worth considering.

BennyCake

Quote from: RMDrive on March 03, 2013, 08:14:55 PM
I take them for my back now and again (it's a muscle relaxant). TBH 5mg isn't that much and whenever I take one the only thing I notice is that I tend to sleep very deeply that night. Now that you know what to expect perhaps you'll have an easier time of it. I fell asleep in the last one I had. Good luck with it anyway.

I'd be happy enough if I fell asleep through it. So will the 5mg have any affect? And how long before should I take it?

BennyCake

Quote from: ziggysego on March 03, 2013, 05:48:48 PM
No, but I've been in an MRI machine as a child. Found it very stressful. Ask the MR technologist for scan-friendly headphones and get them to play and album you enjoy listening to. Should help you relax a little and probably better for you have any medical induced help.

You may have to phone ahead, to organise this.

I phoned them about the possibility of being put to sleep for it, but they said they couldn't do anything, and that it was up to your GP to give you something to make it easier for me.

Tony Baloney

They do it under general anaesthetic for children only I believe.

Arthur_Friend

Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 03, 2013, 08:29:51 PM
I have took Diazepam in the past for flying. It takes the edge off rather than conking you out so might worth considering.

Do the air hostesses give this to you if you ask them?

stew

I have had two, count em two mri's in the past three months because of seizures, also an ekg thrown in, I dont mind the 40 minute drilling but find it ironic that they have lights flying inside the machine and me who takes head staggers is more likely to have one in there than at one of them nightclubs in Belfast.

if I were you I would ask them to knock you out completely, that way you are stress free, less likely to move around and give them the best opportunity to get a perfect scan.

Just my two cents worth.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Arthur_Friend on March 03, 2013, 09:38:50 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 03, 2013, 08:29:51 PM

Do the air hostesses give this to you if you ask them?
Unfortunately not. A feed of drink has the same result (speaking of which...).