Railway Cup Final to be played in Dallas

Started by Eamonnca1, March 01, 2013, 04:38:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Plans shelved.

I did say it was a bit ridiculous ;)

fearbrags

As a fellow Rossie(a quieter one) but some one who knows a lot about this, (not ridiculous at all) but a great opportunity lost for  the  Gaa in general and especially the Railway Cup

Syferus

Quote from: fearbrags on November 27, 2013, 03:23:31 PM
As a fellow Rossie(a quieter one) but some one who knows a lot about this, (not ridiculous at all) but a great opportunity lost for  the  Gaa in general and especially the Railway Cup

When you can't get 500 people to turn up for a game in Ireland it was a little much to be thinking about renting out the Cotton Bowl (a huge stadium), Irish festival or not. It never struck me as part of any plan to grow or revive the Railway Cup. It was brave but it's hardly surprising it fell through.

Zulu

The only reason to keep the Railway cup would be as a promotional exhibition game abroad. Treat the players to a weekend/week away in a nice city which has a GAA scene, part of the deal is some players visit schools, do interviews with local media, attend the local clubs training sessions etc. That would be a win win. Playing it at home seems like a waste to me when it is an irrelevance at this stage.

fearbrags

Sy  ""renting out the Cotton Bowl'' was diffidently not issue
But then again you know it all ''have you being to the Cotton  bowl lately or at all "'

Syferus

Quote from: fearbrags on November 27, 2013, 06:36:45 PM
Sy  ""renting out the Cotton Bowl'' was diffidently not issue
But then again you know it all ''have you being to the Cotton  bowl lately or at all "'

I know plenty about college football, actually.

It was wildly over-reaching to try and use such a cavernous stadium as the venue. Even a successful event would have outwardly looked a failure.

Unless it was part of an overall and continuing plan to grow the GAAor the Railway Cup (it wasn't, it a blue sky idea) it was always going to be incredibly hard to pull off.

BennyCake

Quote from: Syferus on November 27, 2013, 04:24:25 PM

When you can't get 500 people to turn up for a game in Ireland it was a little much to be thinking about renting out the Cotton Bowl (a huge stadium), Irish festival or not. It never struck me as part of any plan to grow or revive the Railway Cup. It was brave but it's hardly surprising it fell through.

There was over 5,000 in last years final in Armagh, and about 4 or 5,000 in this years semi in the same venue. Regardless, even if one man and his dog only showed up, it shouldn't matter. If the players are keen to play it, then it should be retained.

Syferus

Quote from: BennyCake on November 27, 2013, 08:41:34 PM
Quote from: Syferus on November 27, 2013, 04:24:25 PM

There was over 5,000 in last years final in Armagh, and about 4 or 5,000 in this years semi in the same venue. Regardless, even if one man and his dog only showed up, it shouldn't matter. If the players are keen to play it, then it should be retained.

Didn't turn up in Pearse Park this year or countless other venues.

Don't agree that the players wanting it is enough reason to keep it either. There's value to the idea but it's been run into the ground at this point and it would take some serious investment of time and money to get it back on its feet again. Playing it in the middle of the league is pretty terrible timing too.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Zulu on November 27, 2013, 04:53:28 PM
The only reason to keep the Railway cup would be as a promotional exhibition game abroad. Treat the players to a weekend/week away in a nice city which has a GAA scene, part of the deal is some players visit schools, do interviews with local media, attend the local clubs training sessions etc. That would be a win win. Playing it at home seems like a waste to me when it is an irrelevance at this stage.
I agree 100% with you.
But I'd go a step further and select the venues of the finals on a structured basis. Overseas clubs/centres would tender for the staging of the games and would be required to submit proposals in the same way as cities around the world bid to host the Olympic Games and other major sports' events.
As the selected hosts would pick up the tab for all expenses involved, the GAA would profit from the venture as it would be spared the hassle and cost of having the finals played at home and the players from all the provinces would have something worthwhile to compete for.
Everyone concerned would be happy with the outcome.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Rossfan

As a fellow Rossie........ a great opportunity lost for..........the Railway Cup

I'm afraid the Railway Cup's opportunities are gone with the oul' Steam trains.
Although there are a few enthusiasts trying to preserve both institutions.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

AZOffaly

But why. Why is the Interprovincial series inherently flawed? What is the problem with it?

Rossfan

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 28, 2013, 11:45:54 AM
Why is the Interprovincial series inherently flawed? What is the problem with it?
Not inherently flawed as such but outside Ollsther there is no identification of supporters with the Provincial team, no elation if they win , no depression if they lose..
No public interest in it.
GAA top brass not much interested either I suspect.
Players who can fit it in like to play in it as it's low pressure and "nice" football plus expenses/overnight etc.
In pre TV days it was the only chance a lot of people could get to see top players. Now they're on TV 8 or 9 months of the year.
Basically virtually no one in Connacht, Leinster or Munster gives 2 hoots about it.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: Lar Naparka on November 27, 2013, 11:13:21 PM
Quote from: Zulu on November 27, 2013, 04:53:28 PM
I agree 100% with you.
But I'd go a step further and select the venues of the finals on a structured basis. Overseas clubs/centres would tender for the staging of the games and would be required to submit proposals in the same way as cities around the world bid to host the Olympic Games and other major sports' events.
As the selected hosts would pick up the tab for all expenses involved, the GAA would profit from the venture as it would be spared the hassle and cost of having the finals played at home and the players from all the provinces would have something worthwhile to compete for.
Everyone concerned would be happy with the outcome.

I was with you until here - why should the GAA here pay the guts of $250K to host a game like this?

Zulu

I agree, I wouldn't burden international units with such expense but they can, and maybe should, shoulder some of the cost. Some international GAA centres like the US and Asia might be able to fund it but Britain and certainly Europe would not so I don't think it would be a runner on those terms. However, the Railway Cup could be run in conjunction with a 'celebration of football' type event, a selection of the best club players could play an exhibition game beforehand and have underage games on at half time. Have a big dinner dance with local Irish notables, local GAA sponsors and the local GAA members in attendance.

Nobody in Ireland cares about the Railway Cup because they get the real thing, but internationally it could still be very big and worthwhile to the GAA. It shouldn't however, simply be a jolly boys outing for players, the GAA have to build it around the development of the GAA abroad. Is there a female version of the Railway Cup? If not, start one and play both finals in the same location.

Gabriel_Hurl

They had the Skydome games here in 1990 and 1991 on the St. Patricks Day weekend.

The first year had an attendance of over 30,000 - a hurling  exhibition game and a Tyrone vs Dublin national league game – both games were shown live on TV here and in Ireland

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cNoUx9iWjQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJ2AtMW835w

The following year was about 20,000 (both football and hurling games were All-Star selections)