Best Metal / Hard Rock Albums

Started by bennydorano, February 08, 2013, 06:11:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ardchieftain

Lynchboy, , noticed a lot of old Thrash there. Got the old Thrash tapes out a few summers ago but i found a lot of it didn't age very well.

Why don't some of you lot check out and support Irish bands, there is a healthy scene  here with about a dozen bands releasing albums via reputable Record Labels. Most of them are 10 times more popular abroad, due in no small way to the conservative nature of the Irish media.

On Metallica - first 3 albums only for me but will give And Justice the odd spin

Listening to Sabbath Bloody Sabbath as i type.

Never thought i'd see a thread like this on here!

under the bar

lynchbhoy

Quote from: ardchieftain on February 08, 2013, 11:55:46 PM
Lynchboy, , noticed a lot of old Thrash there. Got the old Thrash tapes out a few summers ago but i found a lot of it didn't age very well.

Why don't some of you lot check out and support Irish bands, there is a healthy scene  here with about a dozen bands releasing albums via reputable Record Labels. Most of them are 10 times more popular abroad, due in no small way to the conservative nature of the Irish media.

On Metallica - first 3 albums only for me but will give And Justice the odd spin

A lot of old thrash is right - don't think there has been any new thrash or even any decent metal since well since I've left the 'scene' in the mid 90's.
Kasabian and shitdisco more or less the only two of note since the mid 90's.
Reading loads of books on lizzy, lynnott, iommi, led zep, Ac/Dc etc and about to start on mick walls Metallica book.
Good thrash had fast intricate melodic accurate guitar picking which kicked ass off most supposed musicians - eg Dave mustaine
I listen to the old stuff because the new stuff is sterile and shit.

Itchy

Agree on Metallica, never thought that much of &justice for all.

cadence

you could even hone the metallica albums down to the first two. can't stand them now, very corporate. some kind of monster is fascinating though, i did watch that.

Denn Forever

QuoteWhy don't some of you lot check out and support Irish bands, there is a healthy scene  here with about a dozen bands releasing albums via reputable Record Labels. Most of them are 10 times more popular abroad, due in no small way to the conservative nature of the Irish media

What are the names of these bands?  I'd love to check some of them out.

The only irish band I can think of is Mama's Boys.

Needle in the Groove
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWsWRF3cY64
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

ardchieftain

Mamas Boys, haha, my first ever gig as a 14 year old.

Irish bands to check out - Primordial, Waylander, cruachan, Mourning Beloveth, Mael Mordha, Darkest Era. etc etc
Irish Metal Archive is a good resource.

Primordial for example, are huge abroad and will sell out a decent sized venue in Dublin tonight

Lynchboy, check out Gama Bomb, Irish Thrash who released a few albums on Earache records [home of Napalm Death for donkeys years].

Maguire01

And Justice for All suffers from terrible production.

bennydorano

That was the main jist of Hetfield's comments too,  too heavy on the guitar & drums, but f**k me One is made by the guitars & drums!

Maguire01

Quote from: bennydorano on February 09, 2013, 03:54:34 PM
That was the main jist of Hetfield's comments too,  too heavy on the guitar & drums, but f**k me One is made by the guitars & drums!
You can't hear the bass on Justice at all.

Still, as bad as it is, nothing compares to the production on St Anger!

bennydorano

No great loss imo, when i hear talk of great bass & bass players it's lost on me. When i think of a bass player Mark King of Level 42 mincing about the stage comes to mind :D

Wildweasel74

Slayers seasons in the abyss (their best album) would probably be the best thrash album outside of metallicas efforts

Itchy

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on February 09, 2013, 05:51:23 PM
Slayers seasons in the abyss (their best album) would probably be the best thrash album outside of metallicas efforts

Not even slayers best album!

cadence

Quote from: Denn Forever on February 09, 2013, 10:52:21 AM
QuoteWhy don't some of you lot check out and support Irish bands, there is a healthy scene  here with about a dozen bands releasing albums via reputable Record Labels. Most of them are 10 times more popular abroad, due in no small way to the conservative nature of the Irish media

What are the names of these bands?  I'd love to check some of them out.

The only irish band I can think of is Mama's Boys.

Needle in the Groove
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWsWRF3cY64

mama's boys at the milford inn was my first gig ever. i prefer them pre power and passion. runaway dreams, great tune that.   

From the Bunker

Quote from: Itchy on February 09, 2013, 06:33:09 PM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on February 09, 2013, 05:51:23 PM

Not even slayers best album!

Reign in Blood is Slayers best album. I'm not a fan of Metallica, so i can't even compare. That said  i seen Metallica in the Point in 1992, and it was a good gig.