Anchorman

Started by BennyCake, February 06, 2013, 11:34:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyCake

For years I avoided watching this film. But I've heard so many people over the years talk about the funny scenes or lines from this film. So lately, I sat down to watch it.

After about 45 minutes, I could take no more, and switched it off. 

I'm not a fan of Will Ferrell. Actually he gives me the creeps (it's the eyes). But he wasn't the reason I turned it off. I just didn't find it funny. Not one bit of it.

Yer man Paul Rudd was on Graham Norton lately, and he said they're making Anchorman 2. Oh dear God, no, I thought.

I'm not one for stopping films half way through. Even if a film is really bad, I'll stick it out until the end. But I honestly could take no more of this one.

So, who loves it, and who hates it? Is it just me that could take no more halfway through?

stew

I think it is vastly overrated yet has a smattering of  funny parts, I bought the DVD on reputation and felt it money not so well spent.

Will Ferrell can be fantastic at times, other times not so much..................creepy? never!

Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Orior

Quote from: BennyCake on February 06, 2013, 11:34:52 PM
For years I avoided watching this film. But I've heard so many people over the years talk about the funny scenes or lines from this film. So lately, I sat down to watch it.

After about 45 minutes, I could take no more, and switched it off.

I'm not a fan of Will Ferrell. Actually he gives me the creeps (it's the eyes). But he wasn't the reason I turned it off. I just didn't find it funny. Not one bit of it.

Yer man Paul Rudd was on Graham Norton lately, and he said they're making Anchorman 2. Oh dear God, no, I thought.

I'm not one for stopping films half way through. Even if a film is really bad, I'll stick it out until the end. But I honestly could take no more of this one.

So, who loves it, and who hates it? Is it just me that could take no more halfway through?

You are lucky. I actually work with a woman (not confirmed) who looks like Will Ferrell.

You wont answer back when she barks at you.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

stephenite

Turned it off as well, thought it was rubbish.

Asal Mor

Very overrated. Almost all of those silly, spoof American comedies are terrible, with an odd exception like Happy Gilmore. They must be aimed at heavily drugged and drunken teenagers. I remember Frankie Boyle saying during one of his shows " I was watching TV recently and I couldn't help thinking that most of these shows would be much more entertaining if I'd recently sustained a massive brain injury".

Billys Boots

Quote from: stew on February 06, 2013, 11:41:31 PM
I think it is vastly overrated yet has a smattering of  funny parts, I bought the DVD on reputation and felt it money not so well spent.

Will Ferrell can be fantastic at times, other times not so much..................creepy? never!

Creepy?  Sure he's a Larry, y'know!

My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

nrico2006

'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

ziggysego

I found it a funny film, but no-one near the hype that surrounds it.
Testing Accessibility

Dinny Breen

It's rubbish.

Will Ferrell is really good in Stranger than Fiction but 70% of his movies are just awful.

#newbridgeornowhere

screenexile

It's all a matter of opinion and comedy like most things is very subjective. They made 50 odd Carry on Films for a start and every one of them is pish yet there are people who love it!!

I like Anchorman and some of the lines still make me laugh "The Pants Party" and "I'm in a glass case of emotion" are genius l think. It was also one of those movies me and my friends were quoting all the time so it has particular significance to me.

There are movies out there that have gained cult status like Magnolia or American Beauty which I just don't have time for but then if we all liked the same things the world would be a terrible place!

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

I love it, think is quite funny.

I think the athmosphere you watch a film for the first time can make a difference. I watched "Me, myself and Irene" in a room full of women the firsr time I saw it. Nobody laughed and everyone seemed to be waiting for it to end. It bored me silly and seemed humourless. About a fortnight later I watched it with lads over a few beers and we all burst our holes laughing, it was that funny.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

screenexile

Quote from: Dinny Breen on February 07, 2013, 11:44:02 AM
It's rubbish.

Will Ferrell is really good in Stranger than Fiction but 70% of his movies are just awful.

I'm a Ferrell fan but a lot of his movies are hit or miss.

Best for me (I haven't seen all his films):

Old School
Anchorman
Stranger than Fiction
Megamind
Wedding Crashers
Elf
Zoolander

Average:
The Other Guys
Semi Pro
Blades of Glory
Talladega Nights

Shiite
Night at the Roxbury
Step Brothers

BennyCake

I watched Elf for the first time a few weeks ago. There was the odd funny moment in it, but nowhere near as funny as it's reputation.

ziggysego

Quote from: BennyCake on February 07, 2013, 12:38:58 PM
I watched Elf for the first time a few weeks ago. There was the odd funny moment in it, but nowhere near as funny as it's reputation.

I thought Elf completely lives up to it's hype. Each to their own and all that.
Testing Accessibility

stew

Quote from: screenexile on February 07, 2013, 12:31:09 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on February 07, 2013, 11:44:02 AM
It's rubbish.

I'm a Ferrell fan but a lot of his movies are hit or miss.

Best for me (I haven't seen all his films):

Old School
Anchorman
Stranger than Fiction
Megamind
Wedding Crashers
Elf
Zoolander

Average:
The Other Guys
Semi Pro
Blades of Glory
Talladega Nights

Shiite
Night at the Roxbury
Step Brothers

Semi Pro was hysterically funny in parts, it is one of his best, Stepbrothers was coarse but at times funny, night at the roxbury was pure, unadulterated drivel.

I would place baldes of glory in the shite category and stepbrothers up in average.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.