Match Stats on TG4

Started by IolarCoisCuain, February 05, 2013, 08:30:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IolarCoisCuain

Does anybody know anything about the match stats used by TG4 on Sunday? I'm fascinated by them.

This is the link for the half-time analysis: http://www.tg4.ie/ie/tg4-player/tg4-player.html?id=2140457341001&title=GAA%20Beo. The stats begin at 1:50, and they show that Mayo had eighty hand passes to Kerry's 46, and 13 kick passes to Kerry's 30. They also have stats for kickouts won and frees conceded.

It's the passing stats that particularly caught my attention. If you do the sums, that 169 discrete events recorded under four categories over 35 minutes, at a rate of one every twelve and a half seconds. That's pretty damned hard to do, and for an under-resourced service like TG4 it's positively heroic.

Has anyone any idea how they do it? Have they two lads with clickers in each hand, each man assigned a county and each hand then assigned a type of pass? Have they four lads doing it? Have they even four lads in total? And who was counting the frees and kickouts then?

It seems a considerable achievement to me. And the reason that I ask is that I've had a go at keeping stats in real time myself and I found it very hard to do other than the actual scores. If anyone has any thoughts on it I'd be very interested.

IolarCoisCuain

Bump. Come on fellas, there must be someone doing some statwork somewhere who can help me out?

Ohtoohtobe

Think one lad could just about do it; have a sheet with four categories and just focus on the game and tick the relevant section when a play is made every few seconds. Very difficult though, and very impressive.

neilthemac

there's an app for that

a few of them actually

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: Ohtoohtobe on February 08, 2013, 01:19:19 PM
Think one lad could just about do it; have a sheet with four categories and just focus on the game and tick the relevant section when a play is made every few seconds. Very difficult though, and very impressive.

Yeah, this is it. I've tried it myself - not those particular categories, but ticking boxes during a game - and it's very hard.

Quote from: neilthemac on February 08, 2013, 04:16:17 PM
there's an app for that

a few of them actually

I haven't seen anything that would track something like this. I know there's training equipment made by some company in Australia that tracks player movement but I think the players have to have some sort of GPS device in their jerseys for the thing to work. Doubt TG4 would be in a position to ask teams to wire up before a game.

Zulu

There are apps that cover these things alright, I'm sure the Dubs use software to help with their stats and I'm sure others do to. Things like dartfish and performa do the job afaik.

INDIANA

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on February 05, 2013, 08:30:11 PM
Does anybody know anything about the match stats used by TG4 on Sunday? I'm fascinated by them.

This is the link for the half-time analysis: http://www.tg4.ie/ie/tg4-player/tg4-player.html?id=2140457341001&title=GAA%20Beo. The stats begin at 1:50, and they show that Mayo had eighty hand passes to Kerry's 46, and 13 kick passes to Kerry's 30. They also have stats for kickouts won and frees conceded.

It's the passing stats that particularly caught my attention. If you do the sums, that 169 discrete events recorded under four categories over 35 minutes, at a rate of one every twelve and a half seconds. That's pretty damned hard to do, and for an under-resourced service like TG4 it's positively heroic.

Has anyone any idea how they do it? Have they two lads with clickers in each hand, each man assigned a county and each hand then assigned a type of pass? Have they four lads doing it? Have they even four lads in total? And who was counting the frees and kickouts then?

It seems a considerable achievement to me. And the reason that I ask is that I've had a go at keeping stats in real time myself and I found it very hard to do other than the actual scores. If anyone has any thoughts on it I'd be very interested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZPMLkKndWE