GAA books/autobiographies for christmas

Started by CorkMan, November 03, 2012, 09:03:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

5 Sams

I see Galvin (Paul) has a book coming out on the 30th Oct. if it reflects his on field personality and if he tells a few stories, dishes the dirt on various episodes in his FOOTBALL career then it'll be a good read. If he talks shite about Ralph Lauren and skinny jeans...he can fcuk right off. ;)
The Aristocrat Years

blanketattack

Other Gaa books out in October are about Shane Curran, Anthony Daly and the Offaly Furlongs,

GalwayBayBoy

rrhf

Mortimer would be a good book there. He undoubtedly  won the hearts of the nation when he poignantly paid tribute to Michael Jackson.  This book may well be an attempt to win over the minds of the nation. Highest scoring mayo player ever, I'd bet.

twohands!!!

I wonder if Mortimer's book will be as good as the statement the family issued during his row with Horan. It will be hard to reach sustain such heights of comedy over the length of a full book but fingers crossed.

I have heard that Shane Curran's Cake book is a decent enough read from a friend who finished it. He's from down that direction so he knew a fair few people mentioned in it but I'd trust his judgement when he says it wasn't just a standard sportsperson's biography.

Galvin's could be seriously interesting depending on how much he chooses to share.

Can't see Daly's book or the one about the Furlongs being anything out of the ordinary.

Syferus

I really don't conceive any way Cake's autobiography could ever have been a standard sportsperson's biography.

Eamonnca1

Wildweasel74

Teddy McCarthy launched his autobiography last week. If it's a warts and all type book I'd definitely read it.

read it, good book obvious he was a bigger hurling man that footballer, again did go into alot of personal issues,

Best football book i read was Dermot Earley senior, got it in the early 90`s i suppose chief of the defence forces and serving in the Golan heights he had alot of stories outside the football which were quite good

Syferus

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on October 17, 2014, 10:14:57 PM
Teddy McCarthy launched his autobiography last week. If it's a warts and all type book I'd definitely read it.

read it, good book obvious he was a bigger hurling man that footballer, again did go into alot of personal issues,

Best football book i read was Dermot Earley senior, got it in the early 90`s i suppose chief of the defence forces and serving in the Golan heights he had alot of stories outside the football which were quite good

The Earley Years by John Scally, an official biography.

Saw it reissued as Dermot Earley: An Officer and a Gentleman (I assume with some updates too) in my failed attempt to find Cake's book.

Dermot was some man for one man.

longballin

Teddy McCarth's book is powerful. Had his personal pain too. Some committement to the jersey - once played four Munster finals in four weeks with football and hurling both draws. Not a GPA fan....

INDIANA

Quote from: rrhf on October 16, 2014, 11:10:27 PM
Mortimer would be a good book there. He undoubtedly  won the hearts of the nation when he poignantly paid tribute to Michael Jackson.  This book may well be an attempt to win over the minds of the nation. Highest scoring mayo player ever, I'd bet.

wouldn't use it for bogroll

muppet

Quote from: INDIANA on October 18, 2014, 01:50:53 PM

Please, if anyone knows Mrs. Indiana, can they strongly hint that he would LOVE this book for Christmas. At least 3 copies.
MWWSI 2017

Syferus

You're just jealous of Parnells' team-sheet.

INDIANA

Quote from: Syferus on October 18, 2014, 03:00:11 PM

I hope he talks about everything and doesn't leave out his phone calls to all the Dublin GAA clubs he made over the last few years.

You're just jealous of Parnells' team-sheet.

INDIANA

Quote from: muppet on October 18, 2014, 02:29:30 PM

Please, if anyone knows Mrs. Indiana, can they strongly hint that he would LOVE this book for Christmas. At least 3 copies.

I'll offer to incinerate the lot publicly on a bonfire on the 31st if that suits.