Donegal v Tyrone Ulster Championship

Started by give her dixie, October 04, 2012, 08:24:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

Mickey has rebuilt the team from the carnage that was Killarney last July.

He has done it quikcer than most would have thought possible.

Instead of talking about changing him, I think we should be praising his achievement.

Only one team can win the AI.

Tyrone are still one of the top teams and I think this will be borne out in the next 2 months.

They weren't good enough on Sunday against Donegal and to be fair not many teams in Ireland would have coped with Donegal last Sunday or any Sunday but Tyrone on reflection made a decent stab at it.

To win Tyrone needed to be getting the rub of the green and the breaks along the way and converting the chances.

In the end, Mc Quillan gave Donegal most of what was going, Tyrone didn't get the bounce of the ball and they didn't convert the large number of shots they managed against the Donegal blanket.

I'd like to see Tyrone and Donegal in Croke Park later in the year.

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: Nally Stand on May 26, 2013, 08:07:58 PM
Disappointing result but the better team won. KL made some difference. I was shocked by the sheer lack of any class in victory from a large section of Donegal supporters at the end though. As Tyrone fans began leaving early there were scores of donegal fans, including grown men, in the stand waving car keys, singing "chiompioneees", hurling fairly scummy abuse at them and giving them the fingers. Absolutely trampish behaviour.

Tyrone fans whinging about lack of class in victory AND blanket defences. This is the thread that keeps on giving.... ;D

Nally Stand

Quote from: parttimeexile on May 28, 2013, 12:43:33 PM
Quote from: orangeman on May 28, 2013, 12:02:55 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on May 28, 2013, 11:48:20 AM
Nobody thought that Donegal had anyone decent waiting in the wings and look how JMG has turned out.  The statement that the job is his for as long as he wants is exactly what is wrong, it should be based on results.  As mentioned before, if JMG was in charge of Tyrone they would be doing a lot better.

But Tyrone ARE doing well that's the problem.

Yes they got beat on Sunday. But Morgan's free kicking was off - our defending for the 2 goals was abysmal, Tyrone shot 13 wides to their 3.

Donegal are not some wee team in division 2 that are half decent - Donegal are all Ireland champions and favourites to win the AI again this year.

They're a juggernaut.

Tyrone are rebuilding - got to the NFL final - got beaten by a point by co favourites for the AI Dublin.

I can't work out where a lot of people are coming from.

How many were thinking of changing manager after the magnificent national league run ?.

As usual we're over react when teams win and over react the toher way when teams lose.

I know that the squad of players is not as strong as the 03/05/08 teams but I think they could be organized in a way that would increase there chance of winning.
To say that it cannot go stale when you change players is wrong. If the management dont evolve then they are left behind, no matter what players you bring in. If they are not organised/trained to there max potential then you will not win.
Also to say there is no other choices for managers out there is not really valid. Plenty doubted Mickey when he came in and look how that turned out! There are plenty of managers who could have not won the Ireland for five years!
When a player is only under a manager for a short time, then he can hardly feel things are stale. Particularly with someone like Horse on the scene for their first year too. Most of the newer lads would be lapping up every word out of Harte's mouth. And it shows, because within nine months, Harte brought a team most people were calling "finished" to within a point of beating everyone's All-Ireland favorites in the League final. The people who nine months earlier were calling the team "finished" as they drove home from Kilarney, were driving home from the league final talking about Tyrone as being realistic competitors for the All-Ireland. And as for this nonsense chat about replacing him, and that there are other potential managers out there....well Mickey Harte didn't just turn up out of the blue - like Jim McGuinness, he had a proven record of success both at club and county level in management before hand. Again, it's easy saying that "someone" else should do it. Who? The job is Harte's on merit, despite the odd knee-jerk OTT reactions from a tiny minority of people.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Whitnail

Was a little surprised that with 10mins to go  we were in the same position in a match that we found ourselves in in almost every championship game last year- Protecting a lead.

At times didn't look like that might happen but I've thought that before so big credit to the management.

Obviously the keeper for Tyrone had a shocker.Not only did he miss a few scorable frees , I think he was ball watching for Wherrity's goal. Watching  McBrearty holding it that is.

Was the main difference I think .You guys looked good in the first half ,bombing midfield where it looked like you had an extra player or three. But when the man with the hair scored the 2nd goal it looked like you were just biding time and waiting for the bus home. The task was too big from them on.
Had Morgan of converted half those kicks you would have been already ahead maybe 3 points before that.

Immense game from McBrearty and the Magees.

Tough test past albeit Tyrone were major architects in there own defeat.
Having said that , When it really matters every team we play has had a major role in their own defeat. So maybe Brolly's admiration for Jim is excusable in that he really is that good.
It's no coincidence that when we play top teams they more often than not have happen to have an 'off day".

It will be alot tighter against the likes of Dublin who defend in an almost an exact manner.

J70

Quote from: orangeman on May 28, 2013, 12:57:39 PM

Instead of talking about changing him, I think we should be praising his achievement.

Tyrone are still one of the top teams and I think this will be borne out in the next 2 months.

They weren't good enough on Sunday against Donegal and to be fair not many teams in Ireland would have coped with Donegal last Sunday or any Sunday but Tyrone on reflection made a decent stab at it.

To win Tyrone needed to be getting the rub of the green and the breaks along the way and converting the chances.

In the end, Mc Quillan gave Donegal most of what was going, Tyrone didn't get the bounce of the ball and they didn't convert the large number of shots they managed against the Donegal blanket.

Didn't look to be any favouritism from the ref from what I saw. The two penalty shouts (one each) were marginal and he was unsighted for the Tyrone one anyway. Tyrone missed a lot of shots, but they were mostly very tough shots. Anyone can run up their chance total by taking those kind of shots from far out and wide. You can't rely on them to consistently run up a good total of scores.

J70

Biggest worry for us out of that game (apart from the suddenly lauding press causing complacency, although you have to trust Big Jim!)) is making sure Lacey gets and stays fully fit. The transformation after he came on (helped by the quick goal) was incredible. Suddenly we were winning some breaks and we had a cool, intelligent head in there to spread the ball, start moves and give some direction. Makes you think about what might have been had he not got hurt against Dublin in 2011! :P

BennyHarp

Quote from: J70 on May 28, 2013, 02:18:52 PM

Didn't look to be any favouritism from the ref from what I saw. The two penalty shouts (one each) were marginal and he was unsighted for the Tyrone one anyway. Tyrone missed a lot of shots, but they were mostly very tough shots. Anyone can run up their chance total by taking those kind of shots from far out and wide. You can't rely on them to consistently run up a good total of scores.

The credit goes to the Donegal defence for forcing those shots from out wide and from distance. It's a high risk strategy depending on shots from distance and 60 yard free kicks as they are difficult skills to execute and although Tyrone hit some beauties, they just didn't get enough of them when on top mid way through the second half. I think Tyrone will beat most teams this year in the qualifiers and will be around come all Ireland quarter final weekend then it's luck of the draw after that. With 4 or 5 games behind them they may go into the quarters a revitalised team without the high expectations that were going on before Sundays game. Talk of blaming Mickey is nonsense as the progress in general this year has been good. This was a set back against a superb team who are much more settled than Tyrone and maybe a trip through the qualifiers will do no harm at all.
That was never a square ball!!

nrico2006

Quote from: BennyHarp on May 28, 2013, 02:29:56 PM

The credit goes to the Donegal defence for forcing those shots from out wide and from distance. It's a high risk strategy depending on shots from distance and 60 yard free kicks as they are difficult skills to execute and although Tyrone hit some beauties, they just didn't get enough of them when on top mid way through the second half. I think Tyrone will beat most teams this year in the qualifiers and will be around come all Ireland quarter final weekend then it's luck of the draw after that. With 4 or 5 games behind them they may go into the quarters a revitalised team without the high expectations that were going on before Sundays game. Talk of blaming Mickey is nonsense as the progress in general this year has been good. This was a set back against a superb team who are much more settled than Tyrone and maybe a trip through the qualifiers will do no harm at all.

The one good thing coming out of the weekend will be the reality check that has been given, Tyrone were talked up something serious coming into the game whereas Donegal, as All Ireland Champions, were coming in under the radar.  A good run in the qualifiers could help the ypunger players in the long term, and by that I think that some of the younger forwards (McCurry, McAliskey, Coney, O'Neill) need to be given game time to bleed them into senior intercounty championship football. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

orangeman

I'm not saying the ref won it for Donegal or lost it for Tyrone-  not at all - that would be disrespectful to Donegal - Tyrone could and should have a penalty - Donegal's first goal was as a result of a free kick on Donegal's end line that was brought up under very questionable circumstances to the middle of the pitch, big bomb of a ball from Murphy and the rest is history.

What I am saying is that Donegal FULLY deserved their victory over Tyrone but the result could have been different had Tyrone got the wee decisions you need in these big games.

You'll win nothing without a bit of luck. Donegal got the wee breaks on Sunday for their 2 goals. Tyrone didn't. That's all I'm saying. No offence intended to Donegal - they were worthy victors.

screenexile

Having looked at highlights during the game Donegal seemed to concede the midfield area in favour of a quick turnover in their defence to move the ball back up the field at pace.

At one stage for Donegals kickouts it looked as if they just kept the extra man back in their defence with Gormley free to do what he liked in midfield as demonstrated with him winning a couple of clean catches and breaks in the first half.

DennistheMenace

Tyrone won a couple of All-Ireland's losing the majority of midfield battles and having a high turnover rate. I'd say Donegal are happy enough for the opposition to have the ball in their own half and once they enter their territory it's turnovers and quick counters.

parttimeexile

I hope I'm proved wrong but I can see this year turning out to be another damp squib with Tyrone bowing out at about the quarter final stage with everyone continuing to talk about the rebuilding process. Maybe thats the level they are at, at present. The younger fellas should be given chance if they are showing well at training. Or maybe its all a ploy by the football genius that is Mickey Harte to lull everyone into a false sense of security and then sneaek in the back door.

seafoid

Quote from: parttimeexile on May 28, 2013, 02:55:03 PM
I hope I'm proved wrong but I can see this year turning out to be another damp squib with Tyrone bowing out at about the quarter final stage with everyone continuing to talk about the rebuilding process. Maybe thats the level they are at, at present. The younger fellas should be given chance if they are showing well at training. Or maybe its all a ploy by the football genius that is Mickey Harte to lull everyone into a false sense of security and then sneaek in the back door.
I'd say it's a bit early for Tyrone this year.
Mayo would beat them if they met in a QF.

Applesisapples

Quote from: Fuzzman on May 27, 2013, 05:16:09 PM
I wondered about that at the time but I know better to bring it up here after a defeat.
I wondered though did he just bring it forward (a lot) or did he award another free?

So is Bannon suggesting a re-match. I don't know would I want to go through all that again to be honest.

Here's why I think Donegal won't be beaten this year. Back in 2003 we had maybe 3 or 4 lads around one player.

Big shock, Joe McQuillan out of his depth...again. McQullian was inconsistent in his application of the rules, something that a lot of refs are guilty of. On a number of occasions he let Donegal fouls go unpunished only to see no advantage accruing to Tyrone, perhaps the change in the advantage rule will help. Donegal were cynical, but no more than Armagh, Tyrone and Kerry before them. The only solution is for refs to punish cynicism agin perhaps the black card might help but I doubt it as the rule is there to be enforced at the moment through warnings and cards and refs do not use it. I have some sympathy for McMahon officials saw what was happening and didn't intervene an he lashed out.

tbrick18

Talking to a few tryone lads over the last couple of days and they all agree Donegal deserved the win.....but they think if they meet them again this year they will beat them.
Would any of the posters on the board agree with this?
I didnt see anything on Sunday that would lead me to that conclusion, but maybe others see what I dont.