Donegal v Tyrone Ulster Championship

Started by give her dixie, October 04, 2012, 08:24:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

The team that wins is always fitter.
GAA Fact #324.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Wildweasel74

Cork has still the biggest team in the country, then probably Mayo, its numbers around you from donegal which is wearing teams down not the size factor.

Wildweasel74

on another note, with all the young donegal boys with their hands out through the wire as the teams came out for the 2nd half it was nice to see Eamon McGee, tap one of the lads hands as he came up the steps, nice gesture, with them lads probably idolizing them! you dont see enough of that!

Norf Tyrone

Forgot to SKY + yesterday. Is the game available anywhere? Download etc?

Ta
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Wildweasel74

normally would rerun highlights on rte /tnag during the week

Orchardman

Quote from: Fuzzman on May 27, 2013, 05:16:09 PM
I wondered about that at the time but I know better to bring it up here after a defeat.
I wondered though did he just bring it forward (a lot) or did he award another free?

So is Bannon suggesting a re-match. I don't know would I want to go through all that again to be honest.

Here's why I think Donegal won't be beaten this year. Back in 2003 we had maybe 3 or 4 lads around one player.

Was just watching it again on TG4 2ngt, serious amount of men back. But you know what? cavanagh got the ball away and tyrone scored a point from it

Orchardman

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on May 27, 2013, 10:58:07 PM
Cork has still the biggest team in the country, then probably Mayo, its numbers around you from donegal which is wearing teams down not the size factor.

What tanks have mayo got? aiden o shea surely, plus a couple of lanky lads like barry moran. Remember reading the all-ireland final previews last year and Donal vaughan is counted a physical man in mayo and he looks like a wippet with a pair of guns

Still think mayo could be back in the final though, decent side

ONeill

Quote from: Christmas Lights on May 27, 2013, 02:05:38 PM
Very disappointing from Tyrone to allow a guy with a hairstyle like Ross Wherity score a big goal against them.

I know his hair was completely shocking and therefore it would be very hard to take a boy like that seriously when he eneterd the fray.  I presumed when he came on, and with hair like that, that he would be no threat so the whoever was supposed to be marking him for the goal probably assumed the same as me and therefore let him carry on.  Major sucker punch to get hit for a goal at that time of the game.  I couldnt believe he scored.  He hasnt good enough hair to score a goal in the Ulster championship.

Brilliant analysis and completely spot on.

I was thinking he was some country gent who'd wandered on after one too many at a tea party.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

seafoid

Quote from: Orchardman on May 27, 2013, 11:20:05 PM
I wondered about that at the time but I know better to bring it up here after a defeat.
I wondered though did he just bring it forward (a lot) or did he award another free?

So is Bannon suggesting a re-match. I don't know would I want to go through all that again to be honest.

Here's why I think Donegal won't be beaten this year. Back in 2003 we had maybe 3 or 4 lads around one player.

the fella on the left looks like a scrum half waiting for the ball to emerge from the ruck

NAG1

Quote from: seafoid on May 28, 2013, 09:48:43 AM

the fella on the left looks like a scrum half waiting for the ball to emerge from the ruck

I think if you look back at the game as a whole you will see as many Tyrone men getting back behind the ball, problem was whenever they got the ball they couldn't break fast enough. Far too many lateral passes which allowed the defence to get set up and smothered the inside forwards. 

orangeman

Was just watching it again on TG4 2ngt, serious amount of men back. But you know what? cavanagh got the ball away and tyrone scored a point from it

They scored a point but the way they set up is to prevent goals going in.

To score a goal or 2 against Donegal would see Donegal having to set up differently.

Fuzzman

I disagree Nag. Especially in the second half which I watched again last night and often you'd see Tyrone having one on one with no sign of extra defenders, especially if they had been pushing forward and Donegal turned it over whereas often you'd say 2 Donegal men for every Tyrone man in the other final third of the pitch.

To me the main difference between the two teams is that Donegal's full forward line are able to fight and win their own ball under huge pressure whereas Tyrone were not. Therefore more often that not we didn't even try to kick in high ball but instead ran down the wings and shot from difficult positions.
All of Donegal's FF line are dangerous and can kick goals and points and are a constant threat. I actually thought Murphy was quiet by his usual standards but Jimmy has made his brother in law McFadden into a hugely under-rated forward. He's learned to keep his head no matter what and fight for every ball. Even in the 70's minute on Sunday he was still battling and pulling someone's leg after a foul.

It nearly always seems to be the 1st 15/20 mins of a match that Donegal put the foot on the gas and pull away from teams. Then they can spend the last 20/15 mins defending that lead.

nrico2006

I know it seems obvious, but considering that Tyone and MH invented the blanket defence in 2003, why not revert to that model?  It worked well before.  Also, when playing Donegal and knowing how they will shape up and try and structure their team, why are Tyrones half forwards not pulled deep to around the middle of the park which would in turn congest midfield and lead to a lot of fighting in that sector but also leave a lot of space for the full forward line to operate in without the 3 half backs in their vicinity.  I know it seems obvious but it doesn;t seem to have been attempted, probably due to the fact that the Donegal defenders might not move with their men and simply hold their position.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

God14

Quote from: Fuzzman on May 28, 2013, 10:39:59 AM
To me the main difference between the two teams is that Donegal's full forward line are able to fight and win their own ball under huge pressure whereas Tyrone were not.

Thats was very evident during the match. What scares me is that I dont feel there is a place anymore for smaller skillful players like Ronan O'Neill & Darren McCurry.

parttimeexile

I do rate Mickey Harte as a manager but was just wondering what peoples views are on the following. Would any other manager still be in place after the results in the last five years?