Donegal v Tyrone Ulster Championship

Started by give her dixie, October 04, 2012, 08:24:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Not surprised to lose but the manner of it was very disappointing, lessons were not learned from the past two seasons. So many wides when the game was in the melting pot and a failure to capitalise on being the better team for chunks of it. When it was at 1-6 to 0-9 Tyrone should really have been a few points ahead. Once Donegal got the second goal Tyrone lost their composure entirely and played right into Donegal's hands. Have to say that the decision to send in McNiece for McAliskey - when Tyrone were doing well and getting scores - was a depressing one and Tyrone thereafter were toothless in attack. Also disappointed in the decision making under pressure of some of the more experienced players in that team.

Well deserved win for Donegal. Very strong in defence throughout and such belief in themselves to lift it and power to victory in the closing twenty minutes. They will coast it in Ulster and it will make for a fascinating clash if they run into an on form Dublin team later on.

Wildweasel74

Kerry and cork form would not have been the best all yr,and i would have kerry about the level of tyrone and mayo and cork just behind them 3. this thread probably run another 30pages, with the ref getting it, the tyrone keeper getting it, the wides, and missing the fact that Donegal past 3 yrs are a better team than Tyrone and at the end of the day its 3 times struck out!

bootboy

Donegal much more efficient in attack.Inability to take scores when on top around the middle cost Tyrone.After the second goal Donegal shut up shop and Tyrone ran out of ideas going forward and Donegal took their scores on the well with more options up front.

Collins

Tyrone are far from angels. Of course not.

But Donegal have become successful by taking what is worst in gaelic games and not only taking it to greater depths but by making it necessary to be successful in the modern era.

Namely, the blanket defence (taken from Armagh and Tyrone), the psychological warfare/slabbering disgusting things to opponents before a free or after a miss (taken from Dublin), and the brutal cynicism in everything they do, like professional fouls all over the park, the diving, the time-wasting (taken from a number of teams down the years).

As I've said before, Donegal and the rule makers are the two enemies of gaelic football. Both do everything they can to make the sport as less entertaining as possible. Compare them to Hawthorn and the AFL rule makers. Is it any wonder Aussie Rules is now twice the sport gaelic is.

saffronandblue

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on May 26, 2013, 05:35:07 PM
Alto of them wides were from outside the 45 that would be classed as fairly difficult to score anyway, Tyrone still a top 3 team but Donegal and Dublin are ahead of them, Mayo about even with them, and cork and  kildare, sniffing round behind them

Not sure about Tyrone been a top 3 team.  Kerry gave them some hiding and they have not improved since then, in fact they might even have got worse as their better players now have more milage on the clock.  They are well organised, I give them that, but relying on all the old lads is a very poor sign for Tyrone. 

God, Donegal are turning into a very unlikeable team, Murphy and McFadden feigning injuries towards the end was dreadful.....booing from the fans........the sickening singing........ Murphy is now worse than the Gooch at trying to ref the matches.  Time some ref put some manners on them.

Jinxy

Quote from: Collins on May 26, 2013, 05:50:52 PM

But Donegal have become successful by taking what is worst in gaelic games and not only taking it to greater depths but by making it necessary to be successful in the modern era.

Namely, the blanket defence (taken from Armagh and Tyrone), the psychological warfare/slabbering disgusting things to opponents before a free or after a miss (taken from Dublin), and the brutal cynicism in everything they do, like professional fouls all over the park, the diving, the time-wasting (taken from a number of teams down the years).

As I've said before, Donegal and the rule makers are the two enemies of gaelic football. Both do everything they can to make the sport as less entertaining as possible. Compare them to Hawthorn and the AFL rule makers. Is it any wonder Aussie Rules is now twice the sport gaelic is.

I tried to watch a live AFL game last weekend and fell asleep.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

johnpower

I think Tyrone will bounce back big time today was Donegals day but a long way to go yet

Walter Cronc

Well go watch that crap played by thugs down under!

Rossfan

Quote from: johnpower on May 26, 2013, 05:53:49 PM
I think Tyrone will bounce back big time
I doubt it. Today showed how far off their former perch they now are.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

stew

:-[

That's me being embarrassed for you hi after your comment on oz rulues being batter than gaelic football, not even close!
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Hardy

Quote from: Collins on May 26, 2013, 05:15:06 PM
Doesn't make it any less disgusting. Heard reports of some vile things said by Donegal players to opponents.

That's that, then. Can't argue with reports.

J70

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on May 26, 2013, 05:32:15 PM
Karl Lacey makes some different, plus a couple of donegals new untested lads stood up well the day too, still think kevin cassidy good enough for this team though

Lacey coming on, along with the second goal, totally changed the game. We were crying out for bit of leadership and direction in our play, and fit or nor, he provided it. Three years in a row now we've completely shut down Tyrone attack in the second half.

Minder

Donegal fairly showed their teeth today.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

thejuice

Decent game between all the cynical shite. Teams need to take some responsibility to cut this shite out or else the GAA will have their hand forced to bring in ridiculous rules to cut it out.

But we know asking players to do anything for the good of the game is wasted breath. What you wouldn't give for a bit of honour amongst men these days.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

omagh_gael

No complaints after that. Once again we ran out of ideas and our poor shooting came back to haunt us. Morgan had a mare but these things happen the best players. The goals came at the worst possible time for us.

Anyway, we need to re group and focus on the 1st round of the back door. I still think we've a good chance of playing in Croke Park in August. A handy draw in Healy Park to get us back on track will do the job.

Well done Donegal, best team won.