Quote from: take_yer_points on May 11, 2013, 11:26:24 AM
Quote from: BluestackBoy on May 11, 2013, 11:00:24 AM
Quote from: take_yer_points on May 11, 2013, 06:43:24 AM
Quote from: J70 on May 10, 2013, 08:35:55 PM
Quote from: trileacman on May 10, 2013, 08:31:05 PM
Quote from: J70 on May 10, 2013, 04:46:58 PM
Quote from: trileacman on May 10, 2013, 04:11:21 PM
Quote from: BluestackBoy on May 10, 2013, 02:17:59 PM
The main problem from Donegal's point of view is that Clones geographically turns the game into a home tie for Tyrone.

Think about that again. Your definition of "geographically" is HUGELY different from mine.

Just what is YOUR definition then? :)

Clones is "geographically" in Monaghan.

It's also geographically closer to Tyrone than Donegal.

So presumably then the year Tyrone gave up home advantage to play the first round Ulster Championship tie in Croke against Armagh actually constituted Tyrone giving home advantage to Armagh - because after all, geographically Armagh is closer to Croke Park

If they did that's their business. What anyone has to ask is why would Donegal give up home advantage to go to Clones which is geographically much closer to Tyrone and give their supporters a much longer & more expensive day. Why would they do all this to accomodate neutrals & fairweathers who couldnt be bothered to go to Omagh for their recent league game. The match is on T.V. which should accomodate both neutrals & fairweathers.

I couldn't care less where the match is. I was pointing out the absurdity of saying having the match in Clones turns it into a home match for Tyrone.

By that rationale, Armagh were playing at home when they played against Tyrone in Croke Park

That game wasn't in Croker, it was in Clones.

Rodman

The main problem from Donegal's point of view is that Clones geographically turns the game into a home tie for Tyrone.

Think about that again. Your definition of "geographically" is HUGELY different from mine.

So presumably then the year Tyrone gave up home advantage to play the first round Ulster Championship tie in Croke against Armagh actually constituted Tyrone giving home advantage to Armagh - because after all, geographically Armagh is closer to Croke Park

If they did that's their business. What anyone has to ask is why would Donegal give up home advantage to go to Clones which is geographically much closer to Tyrone and give their supporters a much longer & more expensive day. Why would they do all this to accomodate neutrals & fairweathers who couldnt be bothered to go to Omagh for their recent league game. The match is on T.V. which should accomodate both neutrals & fairweathers.

Maybe to accommodate the thousands of Donegal fans that were in Croker last September. I'm sure they would rather travel a couple of hours than not get to the game. Maybe you are happy sitting on in your living room watching the game, I'd rather be there myself. Are Donegal really that scared of Tyrone.

donegal lad

Quote from: BennyHarp on May 11, 2013, 01:00:48 PM
Quote from: donegal lad on May 11, 2013, 12:17:13 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on May 11, 2013, 04:40:20 AM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on May 11, 2013, 01:07:46 AM
Tyrone happy enough with,  some of the supporters no! but there is serious crying about this game been ticketed when this was obvious the minute the fixture was announced this would happen. If only 17.5k went last yr why everybody looking to go to this one,

Take it as a compliment - I know it's been a long time for you fellas but being All Ireland Champions changes things. You are there to be shot at and Tyrone going into the game on the back of an encouraging league feel they have a good chance of toppling the champs in round one. Whether they do or not, remains to be seen but it has the makings of a classic. If you honestly can't see how that makes for a game and atmosphere that people want to be part of then you really are a bit clueless. Remember "nothing beats being there" We experienced this in 2009 and moved the game for the benefit of all. My only surprise is that Donegal fans are happy with this. I'd much prefer to travel a few hours to watch a game than not be able to watch a game on my doorstep. Where are the 20 odd thousand you took to Croker last September? Surely, the fair weathered amongst you haven't disappeared already?
The league game in omagh still only attracted 9000 (Christ I remember the McKenna cup final in 04 between the teams and was nearly 9000 at it) ballybofey will hold 17500 which would of been grand if the allocation was spilt 50/50 and not do what ulster council has done and allocated all other counties in ulster tickets . Must be some amount of fair weather fans appearing in Tyrone last couple of weeks amount of crying being done over tickets were was all these people for the league game or the semi final games last 2 years which were played in a half full clones

So how's the 20 odd thousand Donegal fans who went to Croker last September going to fit in to Ballybofey?
They won't but that's life those most deserving out of that 20000 will though. Can only speak about my own club but word has gone out that loyal county supporters will be looked after (those that re on record with the club for tickets last 5-10 years). Of course there is going to be people upset when tickets have been allocated but sure that's always the case las years all Ireland is a prime example

BluestackBoy

Quote from: Rodman on May 11, 2013, 03:17:19 PM

Maybe to accommodate the thousands of Donegal fans that were in Croker last September. I'm sure they would rather travel a couple of hours than not get to the game. Maybe you are happy sitting on in your living room watching the game, I'd rather be there myself. Are Donegal really that scared of Tyrone.

Where were all those supporters for the league game in Healy Park? If Donegal lose, how many of them will travel to Carlow for a qualifier?
As for Donegal being scared of Tyrone, no of course they aren't scared but they do have a healthy respect for them & have no intention of handing them any advantage that they don't have to. Donegal's primary target is to win this game & set themselves up for a tilt at three Ulster championships in a row. Everything else comes second & if people don't get that then they really haven't been paying attention.
For what shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world & loses his soul.

Redhand Santa

My point in my initial post about the venue was actually around the allocation of tickets and Donegal getting more of them. They chose the smaller venue and I felt the tickets should have at least been split 50 50.

J70

Quote from: BennyHarp on May 11, 2013, 04:40:20 AM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on May 11, 2013, 01:07:46 AM
Tyrone happy enough with,  some of the supporters no! but there is serious crying about this game been ticketed when this was obvious the minute the fixture was announced this would happen. If only 17.5k went last yr why everybody looking to go to this one,

Take it as a compliment - I know it's been a long time for you fellas but being All Ireland Champions changes things. You are there to be shot at and Tyrone going into the game on the back of an encouraging league feel they have a good chance of toppling the champs in round one. Whether they do or not, remains to be seen but it has the makings of a classic. If you honestly can't see how that makes for a game and atmosphere that people want to be part of then you really are a bit clueless. Remember "nothing beats being there" We experienced this in 2009 and moved the game for the benefit of all. My only surprise is that Donegal fans are happy with this. I'd much prefer to travel a few hours to watch a game than not be able to watch a game on my doorstep. Where are the 20 odd thousand you took to Croker last September? Surely, the fair weathered amongst you haven't disappeared already?

Donegal is full of fair weather supporters. There's, on average, way more out to most games now than there would have been three years ago, but you'll still not get the big demand till later in the summer, if we're still in it. I remember being in Newbridge a decade or so ago for a qualifier match against Kildare, and I doubt there was more than 200 Donegal supporters there in total in a near sellout crowd. I was the only person in my club to request a ticket! Ended up getting some for a Dublin mate and his Kildare-supporting kids as well!

BluestackBoy

Quote from: Redhand Santa on May 11, 2013, 03:35:28 PM
My point in my initial post about the venue was actually around the allocation of tickets and Donegal getting more of them. They chose the smaller venue and I felt the tickets should have at least been split 50 50.

As far as I know the allocations to the clubs in both counties is the same 5,750. And for the sake of accuracy, Donegal did not choose the venue, it was drawn out of a hat.

BennyHarp

So what do you lads suggest? Should you have to fill in a form and do an interview to prove you are deserving to get a ticket? It's nonsense - fact of life, more people want to watch championship games, more people want to watch the AI champions, more people want to watch when they are playing a big rival. Only for the luck of the draw this would be the Ulster final and as such a big crowd want to see it. Who are the Donegal county board to decide that only the deserving ones can go to it. I'm now living in England, I travel to most championship games spending a fortune to do so. When i lived in Tyrone i didnt miss a game home or away in league and championship. I would've there on the 26th if I was able to get a ticket but sure I'm not deserving because I wasn't at the league game in Omagh.
That was never a square ball!!

BluestackBoy

Quote from: BennyHarp on May 11, 2013, 04:26:09 PM
So what do you lads suggest? Should you have to fill in a form and do an interview to prove you are deserving to get a ticket? It's nonsense - fact of life, more people want to watch championship games, more people want to watch the AI champions, more people want to watch when they are playing a big rival. Only for the luck of the draw this would be the Ulster final and as such a big crowd want to see it. Who are the Donegal county board to decide that only the deserving ones can go to it. I'm now living in England, I travel to most championship games spending a fortune to do so. When i lived in Tyrone i didnt miss a game home or away in league and championship. I would've there on the 26th if I was able to get a ticket but sure I'm not deserving because I wasn't at the league game in Omagh.

You ask what do we suggest. Here are two suggestions.

1 Ulster council allocates the venue. If that was the case the game would have been allocated to Clones from the off. No home, no away, no problem.

2 Seed the draw so that the two lowest teams at the end of the round robin stage of the league play in the preliminary. Thereafter the top placed team plays the lowest placed team & so on. Under this system you don't end up with the foolishness of Donegal & Tyrone in the 1st round.

BennyHarp

Quote from: BluestackBoy on May 11, 2013, 04:42:09 PM

1 Ulster council allocates the venue. If that was the case the game would have been allocated to Clones from the off. No home, no away, no problem.

2 Seed the draw so that the two lowest teams at the end of the round robin stage of the league play in the preliminary. Thereafter the top placed team plays the lowest placed team & so on. Under this system you don't end up with the foolishness of Donegal & Tyrone in the 1st round.

So by that logic, you agree that its a nonsense that this game is at Ballybofey then?
That was never a square ball!!

donegal lad

Quote from: BluestackBoy on May 11, 2013, 04:42:09 PM

Seeding the draw would destroy the ulster championship. The way I see it everyone has the same chance of getting a ticket for this game. For those living outside the counties there was tickets available online (which I've heard of people as far away as London buying) or purchase a season ticket if you are going to come home for championship games. There's a lot of crying going on about the donegal board wanting to play in ballybofey but its the ulster councils decision where the game is played

ONeill

Getting back to the actual game, Donegal women must be the hairiest on the island.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Redhand Santa

Quote from: Fuzzman on May 10, 2013, 01:18:34 PM
I'm too sensible in my old age but any chance of some real discussion about this game in the weeks leading up to it.

I was reading that article in the Belfast telegraph about Conor Clarke and how we're going into a first round championship match with so many places still up for grabs.

As Brian McGuigan said a few months back in the GL life, that even the players themselves struggled to predict Mickey's starting line ups over the years but this year it seems he has got lots of options all over the park but certainly not a strong settled defence by any means.

IMHO, only Morgan, Joey, Sean Cavanagh, SoN, Mattie & Mark Donnelly and I suppose Peter Harte are the only definites if fit.

Gormley,  McCarron, Colm Cav, Penrose and maybe Clarke would be in the next bracket of probable starters. That's 12 so far

That leaves Justy, PJ, Carlin, McNamee, McKenna, Cassidy, McAliskey, Coney, McCurry

My own personal selection for the Donegal game would be

Morgan - Needs to keep his head as the home crowd will be on his back right from the start I think
McCarron to mark McFadden
Joey - To mark Murphy
PJ - To mark McBrearty who sounds like he's on fire at club & U21 level
Conor - can win kick outs to the wing, kick good ball to forwards & can take a score-our T.O'Shea
Justy - will probably play as an extra man in front of Murphy with Petey or Mattie playing 6.
McNamee - I think he's done enough to prove his worth but maybe to be replaced by Carlin

Sean Cav - Needs to get back to where he was at start of the league. Has been quiet last 2 games.
Cassidy - Has showed he is big & strong to compete and catch clean ball. Passing & decision
               making often lets him down though but better than Colm at the moment if FIT.

Petey  -  We all know he has it in him and he's a warrior and worker which this game needs.
Mark D - Has had a great 2013 so far and has added goals to his overall hard workrate
Matt D - Has proved in the last few games how could he can be and has added scores now to his
             already strong running and defensive game.

Penrose - Have chosen him over Coney for his hard work and running against this Donegal defence.
                He's been quieter than usual I thought this year but he's still got a sweet left foot and
                can turn on a 6pence. Remember he nearly won it for us last year had it not been for that
                amazing save
S.O'Neill -  Showed v Kildare that the old Stevie is still there and he's added a bit of robustness too
McAliskey - Showed in the league final what he is truly capable of. Took the mantle of main ball
                  winner and scorer from Stevie and did not shirk his responsibilities.

I'd really appreciate if a few of ye could discuss what team you'd play and more importantly say WHY. What strengths and weaknesses do you see players having and who will fit best for this war of attrition which we are expecting.
Maybe Donegal will surprise us and go all out an attack.

I'm not sure if your talking about Conor Clarke in the half back line or Gormley. Either way I would guess depending on injuries that you will have around 13 of the starting team there. I personally can't see McNamee starting. I think the Conor you didn't pick or Carlin will replace him. I think Justy,Gormley and Carlin are going for 2 places depending on how fit they are. If they're all fit I think Carlin may just lose out.

The other one I'm not sure about is Cassidy. He's been struggling with injury recently and even if he overcome's it I've a feeling Harte will save him to throw on for the second half. He does seem to make a bigger impact coming on. Based on recent years and the league I would guess Colm Cavanagh will start ahead of him. I'd say Colm,Cassidy and McAliskey are going for 2 places with Cassidy possibly missing out.

Can't see there being too many other shocks. McNiece has started plenty during the league but see him missing out after another quiet outing in the league final. The likes of Coney and Ronan O'Neill will also be in contention.

trileacman

Colm will play for definite, barring injury, a Harte favourite and to be fair has put in some good work in the middle at times this year. I would play Colm and Cassidy at MF with Sean as an auxillary midfielder with either 13 or 12 on his back. Cassidy seems to be carrying some injury though, has he played any ACL yet? He missed the Ardboe match anyway.

Mogan

McCarron
Joey/Clarke depending on showings at training.
PJ

Gormley
Justy/Clarke/McNamee for the remaining HB slots.

Sean & Colm

Pete, Matty, Sparky
Penrose, SON, McAliskey

Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

trileacman

Someone throw up the likely Donegal side there.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014