Donegal v Tyrone Ulster Championship

Started by give her dixie, October 04, 2012, 08:24:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeoMc

Quote from: trileacman on May 09, 2013, 10:59:32 PM
Quote from: omagh_gael on May 09, 2013, 09:32:17 PM
Quote from: glens73 on May 09, 2013, 09:13:40 PM
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/columnists/declan-bogue/antrims-day-in-the-sun-well-deserved-29250434.html

There is a footballer in Tyrone who stands head and shoulders above more vaunted and famous names in club matches, yet has no interest in the county scene.

Is this true? Who is he referring to?

Eoin McCusker from Dromore? Think he is a nephew of Peter Canavan if I'm not mistaken.

Yeah its McCusker.

Head and shoulders above the rest?
A bit of hyperbole there.

J70

Quote from: nrico2006 on May 10, 2013, 02:20:17 PM
Quote from: BluestackBoy on May 10, 2013, 02:17:59 PM
Quote from: trileacman on May 10, 2013, 02:03:29 PM
Quote from: J70 on May 10, 2013, 01:49:51 PM
I don't blame Tyrone supporters for being pissed off at the ticket issue, but I also think Donegal are fully entitled to fight for our home advantage. On the idea that only teams with adequate capacity should get home advantage, that would leave with with a situation where no one outside of the likes of Dublin, Antrim, Monaghan, Cork, Tipperary etc would ever have it for big games i.e. counties where large capacities exist due to provincially supported selection and development.

Not really, this is an exceptional circumstance. If Donegal were playing any other team in Ulster in the first round then Ballybofey would accommodate the crowd. Plus the amount of 20k plus stadiums around the country would accommodate nearly all the first round ties, bar maybe 1 a year.

The main problem from Donegal's point of view is that Clones geographically turns the game into a home tie for Tyrone. As well as that  parts of Donegal are a 5 hour return trip from Clones & some of us are still paying for last year!!!

Clones is in Monaghan.  Tyrone and Donegal are separate Counties.  It is in no way anything near a home game for Tyrone.

In terms of access its clearly much, much more convenient for Tyrone than Donegal.

That said, so is Ballybofey for many Tyrone fans! :P

trileacman

The main problem from Donegal's point of view is that Clones geographically turns the game into a home tie for Tyrone.

Think about that again. Your definition of "geographically" is HUGELY different from mine.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

J70

Quote from: trileacman on May 10, 2013, 04:11:21 PM
The main problem from Donegal's point of view is that Clones geographically turns the game into a home tie for Tyrone.

Think about that again. Your definition of "geographically" is HUGELY different from mine.

Just what is YOUR definition then? :)

yellowcard

Can see both teams point of view in wanting to play the game in Ballybofey/elsewhere. McGuinness is a shrewd operator though who is able to use tactical genius, marginal gains and psychological manipulation of the media to extract the maximum out of his team. Mickey Harte is probably the only current manager who can rival him.

Arguably Tyrone have the better individual footballers but I think Donegal have been preparing exclusively for this game for about 6 months now. So much so that they are heading off for 5 days next week for a training camp!! It will be fascinating to watch McGuinness' tactical manoeuvres on the sideline and how he sets up his team. I'd imagine he might resort to type and go super defensive. Make no mistake, this is effectively the Ulster final and both teams will know this.

BluestackBoy

Quote from: nrico2006 on May 10, 2013, 02:20:17 PM
Quote from: trileacman on May 10, 2013, 02:03:29 PM
Quote from: J70 on May 10, 2013, 01:49:51 PM
I don't blame Tyrone supporters for being pissed off at the ticket issue, but I also think Donegal are fully entitled to fight for our home advantage. On the idea that only teams with adequate capacity should get home advantage, that would leave with with a situation where no one outside of the likes of Dublin, Antrim, Monaghan, Cork, Tipperary etc would ever have it for big games i.e. counties where large capacities exist due to provincially supported selection and development.

Not really, this is an exceptional circumstance. If Donegal were playing any other team in Ulster in the first round then Ballybofey would accommodate the crowd. Plus the amount of 20k plus stadiums around the country would accommodate nearly all the first round ties, bar maybe 1 a year.

The main problem from Donegal's point of view is that Clones geographically turns the game into a home tie for Tyrone. As well as that  parts of Donegal are a 5 hour return trip from Clones & some of us are still paying for last year!!!

Clones is in Monaghan.  Tyrone and Donegal are separate Counties.  It is in no way anything near a home game for Tyrone.

When was the last time you looked at a map?
For what shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world & loses his soul.

BennyHarp

I love the strap line for the promo video for the 2013 Championship - "nothing beats being there"!!

http://vimeo.com/52549401
That was never a square ball!!

trileacman

Quote from: J70 on May 10, 2013, 04:46:58 PM

Clones is "geographically" in Monaghan.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

J70

Quote from: trileacman on May 10, 2013, 08:31:05 PM

It's also geographically closer to Tyrone than Donegal.

Wildweasel74

With all this crying about playing in Donegal, what are you going to be like after thy actually beat you! For year first out of the draw was given home advantage, that was always the case, it only changed in recent year when the ulster council want  a bigger take of the money, and we ended up with ulster finals in croke park. I dont have any involvement in my local club anymore was i moved away. Solved that problem very quickly by buying a season ticket, and have no ticket issues going to games from here on in.

CK_Redhand

Never mind what ground this match will be played on; the most important thing is the starting 15 and tactics from both sides.

I can imagine a defensive game played by both sides, with Donegal coming out on top.  If Murphy and McFadden are held then Tyrone could win handsomely but that's easier said than done.  Unless there's a mammoth performance from Clarke, Justin McMahon and McCrory then Tyrone are straight through the back door.

cadhlancian

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on May 10, 2013, 08:42:44 PM
With all this crying about playing in Donegal, what are you going to be like after thy actually beat you! For year first out of the draw was given home advantage, that was always the case, it only changed in recent year when the ulster council want  a bigger take of the money, and we ended up with ulster finals in croke park. I dont have any involvement in my local club anymore was i moved away. Solved that problem very quickly by buying a season ticket, and have no ticket issues going to games from here on in.
the hatred that you have towards Tyrone is evident in every post you make! Of course you will try and back up your points with one reason after another, just say it FFS !!!

Wildweasel74

Tyrone happy enough with,  some of the supporters no! but there is serious crying about this game been ticketed when this was obvious the minute the fixture was announced this would happen. If only 17.5k went last yr why everybody looking to go to this one,

BennyHarp

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on May 11, 2013, 01:07:46 AM
Tyrone happy enough with,  some of the supporters no! but there is serious crying about this game been ticketed when this was obvious the minute the fixture was announced this would happen. If only 17.5k went last yr why everybody looking to go to this one,

Take it as a compliment - I know it's been a long time for you fellas but being All Ireland Champions changes things. You are there to be shot at and Tyrone going into the game on the back of an encouraging league feel they have a good chance of toppling the champs in round one. Whether they do or not, remains to be seen but it has the makings of a classic. If you honestly can't see how that makes for a game and atmosphere that people want to be part of then you really are a bit clueless. Remember "nothing beats being there" We experienced this in 2009 and moved the game for the benefit of all. My only surprise is that Donegal fans are happy with this. I'd much prefer to travel a few hours to watch a game than not be able to watch a game on my doorstep. Where are the 20 odd thousand you took to Croker last September? Surely, the fair weathered amongst you haven't disappeared already?
That was never a square ball!!

take_yer_points

Quote from: J70 on May 10, 2013, 08:35:55 PM
Quote from: trileacman on May 10, 2013, 08:31:05 PM

It's also geographically closer to Tyrone than Donegal.

So presumably then the year Tyrone gave up home advantage to play the first round Ulster Championship tie in Croke against Armagh actually constituted Tyrone giving home advantage to Armagh - because after all, geographically Armagh is closer to Croke Park