Antrim v Offaly @ Athletic Grounds, Armagh (approx 1985/86?)

Started by BennyCake, September 17, 2012, 12:41:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyCake

I can't recall the first football match I attended, but I do recall the first hurling match I went to.

It was in the Athletic Grounds in Armagh, with Antrim playing Offaly. I was under the impression for a long time that it was an AI semi final. But it was probably a NHL semi. The only thing I remember was that one of the Troy's were in goal for Offaly, and that it was maybe a replayed match.

I think this was probably about 1985 or 1986. Can anyone confirm?

AZOffaly

It was the All Ireland semi final in 1985 I think Benny. A quick google tells me Offaly won by 3-17 to 0-12. Amazing what 4 short years do. 1989 the score was 4-15 to 1-15 to the glensmen, and a guard of honour from PadJoes lads.

I think some of the semis involving Ulster teams were outside Croker, especially if it was versus somelike like little old us. Offaly went on to win that All Ireland against Galway, and the goalie was big Jim Troy from Lusmagh, John's brother.

johnneycool

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 17, 2012, 12:48:32 PM
It was the All Ireland semi final in 1985 I think Benny. A quick google tells me Offaly won by 3-17 to 0-12. Amazing what 4 short years do. 1989 the score was 4-15 to 1-15 to the glensmen, and a guard of honour from PadJoes lads.

I think some of the semis involving Ulster teams were outside Croker, especially if it was versus somelike like little old us. Offaly went on to win that All Ireland against Galway, and the goalie was big Jim Troy from Lusmagh, John's brother.

Antrim also played Kilkenny in an AI-semi-final in Dundalk or Drogheda in the late 80's as well. I remember it distinctly because Ger Rogan and Harry Ryan were cutting 7 shades out of each other in the corner and it was only after Antrim blinked first in taking Rogan off before he got sent off.
Harry Ryan was one hardy lad and was something else that day.

Bord na Mona man

Yes, the 1985 All Ireland semi final sounds about right.

I believe the buses going to the match with Offaly flags on them caused a bit of a stir with the soldiery of the day as well.

It was also Pat Carroll's final apprearance for Offaly before his death the following March. He played the game, but was increasingly needing to take headache tablets. It was after that game that he got the scan to reveal his brain tumor.

Offaly line up for that game:

1  Jim Troy (Lusmagh)
2  Aidan Fogarty (St Rynaghs)
3  Eugene Coughlan (Seir Kieran)
4  Pat Fleury (Drumcullen)
5  Tom Conneely (St Rynaghs)
6  Pat Delaney (Kinnitty)
7  Ger Coughlan (Kinnitty)
8  Joachim Kelly (Lusmagh)
9  Danny Owens (Killoughey)
10   Paddy Corrigan (Kinnitty)
11   Pat Carroll (Coolderry)
12   Mark Corrigan (Kinnitty)
13   Pat Cleary (Kilmacud Crokes (Dublin))
14   Padraig Horan (St Rynaghs)
15   Joe Dooley (Seir Kieran)
Sub 1  Declan Fogarty (St Rynaghs)
Sub 2  Brendan Birmingham (Lusmagh)

AQMP

Quote from: johnneycool on September 17, 2012, 12:55:18 PM

Antrim also played Kilkenny in an AI-semi-final in Dundalk or Drogheda in the late 80's as well. I remember it distinctly because Ger Rogan and Harry Ryan were cutting 7 shades out of each other in the corner and it was only after Antrim blinked first in taking Rogan off before he got sent off.

That was Dundalk in 1987.  Kilkenny 2-18 Antrim 2-11 (Harry Ryan got 2-5).

Premier Emperor

Quote from: johnneycool on September 17, 2012, 12:55:18 PM

And some people think Kilkenny only turned dirty when Cody took over!

joe bloggs

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on September 17, 2012, 02:24:58 PM
Yes, the 1985 All Ireland semi final sounds about right.

I believe the buses going to the match with Offaly flags on them caused a bit of a stir with the soldiery of the day as well.

It was also Pat Carroll's final apprearance for Offaly before his death the following March. He played the game, but was increasingly needing to take headache tablets. It was after that game that he got the scan to reveal his brain tumor.

Offaly line up for that game:

1  Jim Troy (Lusmagh)
2  Aidan Fogarty (St Rynaghs)
3  Eugene Coughlan (Seir Kieran)
4  Pat Fleury (Drumcullen)
5  Tom Conneely (St Rynaghs)
6  Pat Delaney (Kinnitty)
7  Ger Coughlan (Kinnitty)
8  Joachim Kelly (Lusmagh)
9  Danny Owens (Killoughey)
10   Paddy Corrigan (Kinnitty)
11   Pat Carroll (Coolderry)
12   Mark Corrigan (Kinnitty)
13   Pat Cleary (Kilmacud Crokes (Dublin))
14   Padraig Horan (St Rynaghs)
15   Joe Dooley (Seir Kieran)
Sub 1  Declan Fogarty (St Rynaghs)
Sub 2  Brendan Birmingham (Lusmagh)

A nice mix of steel and skill there. I used to love watching Mark Corrigan in action, a real class act, while Jim Troy was one of the best keepers of the last 30 years

Lecale2

I was at that match in Dundalk. Didn't Danny McNaugthon (RIP) score the 2 Antrim goals?

passedit

Quote from: Lecale2 on September 20, 2012, 08:07:38 AM
I was at that match in Dundalk. Didn't Danny McNaugthon (RIP) score the 2 Antrim goals?

ditto, thumbed it there and back (got a lift back to belfast with a supporters bus from Loughgiel i think). Antrim blew that game as much through lack of fitness as belief, was there to be won with ten to go.
Don't Panic

Two Hands FFS

Quote from: Lecale2 on September 20, 2012, 08:07:38 AM
He did. Legend

Plain of the Herbs

The Antrim team that lined out against Offaly in Armagh in 1985 . . .

Niall Patterson (Loughgiel)
Jim Darragh (St John's)
Seán McNaughton (Cushendall)
James McNaughton (Cushendall)
Terence McNaughton (Cushendall)
Jim McKiernan (Sarsfields)
Seán Canning (Dunloy)
Charlie McVeigh (Ballycastle)
Tony McGrath (Dunloy)
Dominic McKinley (Loughgiel)
Brian Donnelly (Ballycastle)
Paul McKillen (Ballycastle)
Peter Boyle (Ballycastle)
Dessie Donnelly (Ballycastle)
Colin Donnelly (St John's)

Subs:
Ger Cunningham (St John's)
Neil Pedan (St John's)

Only seven survived to '89 ??  Whyzat?

AZOffaly

The scoreline in 1985 might have had something to do with it :)

theskull1

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Plain of the Herbs on September 26, 2012, 08:18:53 PM
The Antrim team that lined out against Offaly in Armagh in 1985 . . .

Niall Patterson (Loughgiel)
Jim Darragh (St John's)
Seán McNaughton (Cushendall)
James McNaughton (Cushendall)
Terence McNaughton (Cushendall)
Jim McKiernan (Sarsfields)
Seán Canning (Dunloy)
Charlie McVeigh (Ballycastle)
Tony McGrath (Dunloy)
Dominic McKinley (Loughgiel)
Brian Donnelly (Ballycastle)
Paul McKillen (Ballycastle)
Peter Boyle (Ballycastle)
Dessie Donnelly (Ballycastle)
Colin Donnelly (St John's)

Subs:
Ger Cunningham (St John's)
Neil Pedan (St John's)

Only seven survived to '89 ??  Whyzat?

Sean McGuinness the manager
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Plain of the Herbs

I had the match programme and a report of the match in the 1989 Programme.  One said Seán, another said Stephen, and I took a guess.  Wrong guess !!
Quote from: theskull1 on September 26, 2012, 08:23:00 PM
Sean Canning?

Thinks that's Stephen Cunning