2012 county hurling championships

Started by joe bloggs, September 16, 2012, 01:18:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theskull1

Loughgiels doggedness impressed me as much as St Thomas's touch. Opportunities to close out the game were not taken by StTs while LG stayed composed throughout especially when they needed to. I think LG will go into the replay confident they have a stronger resolve than their oponents as well as cuter when it comes to winning those borderline frees. As good a StTs looked pure hurling wise I think they're a bit niave. Advantage loughgiel 
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

imtommygunn

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 11, 2013, 01:48:26 PM
Quote from: johnneycool on February 11, 2013, 01:46:17 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 11, 2013, 10:42:55 AM
Aye Johnney spot on, there are too many CHF out there at the minute that could take the scores he did on Saturday. Possibly Loughgiel were more worried of Murray in FF and he only got the one shot in on goal and it was shite!! While Cooney was given the freedom. Can't see that happening again and I'm sure if St Thomas's are smart they won't play the same game. Was listening to the build up of the game on the radio and at Half time when I nipped round to the shop.

They had a Galway man on talking about St Thomas's and how they play, he said they don't score a wile amount of frees and most scores come from open play, poor discipline also, which was noticeable with some silly rash tackles.

Refereeing I thought was pretty poor, Barry is usually a better referee than that. As for the free that led to a 21 metre free, he said he scooped the ball off the ground, the lad picked the ball twice legally but the umpire give it. At what point did umpires call free during play? Very strange

I thought that free was for deliberately lying on the ball and Kelly would be right to award the free in rather than the soft option of a hop ball on the 21.

It's hardly surprising some of the Galway lads were caught out with Kelly's adherence to the rule book when you consider the eejit who refereed the Galway final. They're used to getting away with blue murder.

That was for the last minute winner, the free the umpire called was earlier on, Waston's resulting shot was defelected out for a 70

One of the defenders lifted the ball clean off the ground did he not?  I think it was a corner back.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on February 11, 2013, 04:54:39 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 11, 2013, 01:48:26 PM
Quote from: johnneycool on February 11, 2013, 01:46:17 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 11, 2013, 10:42:55 AM
Aye Johnney spot on, there are too many CHF out there at the minute that could take the scores he did on Saturday. Possibly Loughgiel were more worried of Murray in FF and he only got the one shot in on goal and it was shite!! While Cooney was given the freedom. Can't see that happening again and I'm sure if St Thomas's are smart they won't play the same game. Was listening to the build up of the game on the radio and at Half time when I nipped round to the shop.

They had a Galway man on talking about St Thomas's and how they play, he said they don't score a wile amount of frees and most scores come from open play, poor discipline also, which was noticeable with some silly rash tackles.

Refereeing I thought was pretty poor, Barry is usually a better referee than that. As for the free that led to a 21 metre free, he said he scooped the ball off the ground, the lad picked the ball twice legally but the umpire give it. At what point did umpires call free during play? Very strange

I thought that free was for deliberately lying on the ball and Kelly would be right to award the free in rather than the soft option of a hop ball on the 21.

It's hardly surprising some of the Galway lads were caught out with Kelly's adherence to the rule book when you consider the eejit who refereed the Galway final. They're used to getting away with blue murder.

That was for the last minute winner, the free the umpire called was earlier on, Waston's resulting shot was defelected out for a 70

One of the defenders lifted the ball clean off the ground did he not?  I think it was a corner back.

The ball defo hopped up and he had a second go at it and then rolled lifted it, at this point the umpire called the free down his mic for Kelly to call. My point is this though, the umpire is not there to call frees in a match, not in the rules he can after the referee blows for a free ask his advice on an incident that went on
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Fairhead

Thought Joey Scullion was immense for L'giel. Won a lot of ball and got some great scores. They might be mostly the same players that played in the the run of county finals they lost but mentally they are a different bunch. Showed great character and resilience to get back in to the game at different times. In saying that St Tomas should have won it late in normal time when no. 19 failed to connect with a ball across from the edge of the square. Conor Cooney was absolutely immense and i just think that St Tomas have the better team overall and will win the replay. 

seafoid

Quote from: Premier Emperor on February 11, 2013, 09:46:23 AM
Quote from: Muck Savage on February 09, 2013, 03:55:05 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on February 09, 2013, 03:23:13 PM
Pity for Thurles that KK didn't do what "Offaly teams do at the first sign of trouble". PE stick that one up your arse.
:D :D :D :D :D
No doubt weather, ref, looking to the final etc will be the reason KK got lucky here.

Two different Offaly teams in AI final last two years and neither of them Birr. Well done all involved!
Thurles didn't show up and KK took their chances.
These things happen in sport.
Tipp have a poor enough record in this competition over the last few years.

Premier Emperor

Quote from: seafoid on February 12, 2013, 08:14:07 AM
Pity for Thurles that KK didn't do what "Offaly teams do at the first sign of trouble". PE stick that one up your arse.
No doubt weather, ref, looking to the final etc will be the reason KK got lucky here.

Two different Offaly teams in AI final last two years and neither of them Birr. Well done all involved!
Toomevara were never far off for a few years, but it has been a long time since a Tipp team won it out.
This year was a great chance for Thurles to go all the way with the lack of really strong clubs left in it.

north aontroim gael

Quote from: Premier Emperor on February 12, 2013, 09:59:31 AM

Toomevara were never far off for a few years, but it has been a long time since a Tipp team won it out.
This year was a great chance for Thurles to go all the way with the lack of really strong clubs left in it.

But the strongest team from each of the four provinces were the ones left to fight it out.  Its now down to three as Thurles weren't up to it.

Your post is one of arrogance.  The four teams left there are rightly there on merit having won their provincial championship.  Just because they (bar Loughgiel) do not all have a resume of winning previous AI titles doesnt make them any less worthy than a big name of say Portumna, Ballyhale, Birr etc.  All of these teams had the chance to be at this stage but were beaten by better teams.

Its ike saying the only reason Donegal only won the All Ireland last year was that they only had to beat Mayo (a county with no previous history of AI titles) in the final.......nonsense!!  Good luck to the three teams remaining, whoever wins the 2013 AI Club Hurling Championship will be every bit as worthy as the ones who have gone before.

johnneycool

Quote from: Premier Emperor on February 12, 2013, 09:59:31 AM

From the county that gave us hells kitchen that Thurles team had a few windy hurlers on it, has the home of hurling gone soft?

spuds

Quote from: north aontroim gael on February 12, 2013, 10:32:30 AM

Its ike saying the only reason Donegal only won the All Ireland last year was that they only had to beat Mayo (a county with no previous history of AI titles) in the final.......nonsense!!  Good luck to the three teams remaining, whoever wins the 2013 AI Club Hurling Championship will be every bit as worthy as the ones who have gone before.

You might want to rephrase that !!
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

Milltown Row2

Quote from: spuds on February 12, 2013, 02:57:30 PM

Recent history?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

spuds

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 12, 2013, 03:19:09 PM
Quote from: spuds on February 12, 2013, 02:57:30 PM

Recent history?
That's a bit more palatable.  :-[
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

mouview

Your post is one of arrogance.  The four teams left there are rightly there on merit having won their provincial championship.  Just because they (bar Loughgiel) do not all have a resume of winning previous AI titles doesnt make them any less worthy than a big name of say Portumna, Ballyhale, Birr etc.  All of these teams had the chance to be at this stage but were beaten by better teams.

How dare you Sir accuse Tipp hurling fans of arrogance! For shame! When you consider their glorious history, (the last 40 years bit of it anyway), you'll see they have every right to be self-proclaimed Lords of the Manor. Be thankful that you are acknowledged, ungrateful cad!

doodaa

Having watched the match again last night i fancy Loughgiel for the replay.
A number of reasons for this;

Liam Watson couldnt be as bad with the frees as he was the last day,
St Thomas' hit some spectacular scores and i cant see them doing the same to the extent they did on saturday,
I dont think Conor Cooney will be afforded the same space as he was by Loughgiel on Saturday and he really was outstanding.

Its just a pity these two teams arent getting to play a match of this magnitude on a decent surface, Parnell Park wasnt fit for bog snorkling on Saturday!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: doodaa on February 12, 2013, 09:10:25 PM
Having watched the match again last night i fancy Loughgiel for the replay.
A number of reasons for this;

Liam Watson couldnt be as bad with the frees as he was the last day,
St Thomas' hit some spectacular scores and i cant see them doing the same to the extent they did on saturday,
I dont think Conor Cooney will be afforded the same space as he was by Loughgiel on Saturday and he really was outstanding.

Its just a pity these two teams arent getting to play a match of this magnitude on a decent surface, Parnell Park wasnt fit for bog snorkling on Saturday!

They still managed a right few scores, the weather was shite but shite for both teams, the referee wasn't great and that was for both teams, so all very even from where I was sitting. Not much of a puck of the ball between them. I think this game will be different though and the team that learns the most from the drawn game will win.

Loughgiel should forget about the abuse that was handed out and concentrate on the match. St Thomas's were rash in the tackle I think they'll lose a player this week.

theskull1

If 5 r 10 half wits hurl abuse should the whole parish be blackened on the back of a few numpties? I'd contend that someone anyone reporting that abuse without guarding against this is doing almost)as much disservice to their own parish as the numpties on the other side

We all have them
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera