2012 county hurling championships

Started by joe bloggs, September 16, 2012, 01:18:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bp

Quote from: homeofhurling8 on October 30, 2012, 10:53:48 AM
Quote from: bp on October 16, 2012, 04:53:54 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on October 16, 2012, 12:33:06 PM
Thurles Sarsfields in the first round, but it's below in Kilmallock.

Thurles will take all the beating in Munster this year, and might well go all the way.
Is it in Kilmallock ?..... thought I read someplace that it was on in the GGs.
I'd still fancy Thurles against them - regardless of venue.

Tipped on down to the game on Sunday for a gander, Sars were in charge from the start imo, Killmallock pulled it back a couple of times but Sars always seemed on the verge of cutting loose, their scores seemed to come a lot handier than Kilmallocks did but what made the journey worthwhile was the performance of Paudie Maher at centre back for Sars, he was incredible, it was the finest display by a Tipp man in a club game since the golden days of Johnny Leahy in the late eighties/early nineties imho, next up for Sars are their namesakes from Cork in Tom Semples field in the semi.

GalwayBayBoy

St Thomas 1-16 Gort 1-15

Galway final will be St Thomas v Loughrea

Lecale2

cicfada

I saw  the second half of this match! Thomas fully deserved the win! 2   17 years old subs scored 1-01 between them, imagine 6 Burke brothers playing with their father on the line as well! One of the 17 year olds was the youngest Burke, Eanna by name and the hurling gene is well spread in that family!! indeed he scored a good point off his left side and Shane Cooney scored the goal, a great effort! Loughrea will be a much tougher test for them but if they beat them I could see them doing well in the AI series!  Loughrea will drag them into a physical test in the final which is on in 2 weeks as far as I know!! My own home club were playing in the Intermediate final after this  match but unfortunately they lost by 3 points! Killimordaly  now go senior after defeating Ahascragh/Fohenagh and to be honest fully deserved the victory. They had a bit more class up front but by God they will be  tested by  Four Roads of Roscommon who are meant to be a very "physical" team, in  the Connacht final!!

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Lecale2 on November 05, 2012, 10:04:48 PM
Who would you fancy GalwayBayBoy?

Hard to say. Loughrea are a very experienced outfit and generally know how to win these tight games around this time of year when the weather is bad and the pitches are slow. Would probably have won one or two more county titles only for the fact that they were competing at the same time as one of the greatest club sides ever in Portumna.

St Thomas have been coming for a couple of years now with a very young side brimming with talent. Was only a matter of time until they made the breakthrough. Whether they can get over that final fence just yet I'm not sure. If they get a fine day they definitely have the hurling to beat Loughrea but if they get a typical winter's day for the final with a bit of wind and rain then Loughrea's experience and physicality will probably be too much for them.

spuds

Not the place to be asking this but......is John Lee now totally out of the picture with the Galway hurlers ?
Thought he was going to be the constant at no.6 for years to come, think he might of dropped off the panel to concentrate on his medical studies.
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

johnneycool

Quote from: cicfada on November 05, 2012, 11:04:34 PM
My own home club were playing in the Intermediate final after this  match but unfortunately they lost by 3 points! Killimordaly  now go senior after defeating Ahascragh/Fohenagh and to be honest fully deserved the victory. They had a bit more class up front but by God they will be  tested by  Four Roads of Roscommon who are meant to be a very "physical" team, in  the Connacht final!!

Didn't the Kelly brothers play for Four Roads? Horses of men who could hurl a bit as well. They'd be retired by now I'd have thought.

gallsman

Was down at KK final today. Poor enough fare, Ballyhale never in any real danger without ever looking particularly good themselves. TJ is a big, big loss to them.

Premier Emperor

Looks like the Sars will be coming out on top of the pile next March!

johnneycool

Quote from: Premier Emperor on November 11, 2012, 11:21:09 PM

They did look impressive, but rode their luck a bit and struggled with the big man in at full forward causing havoc. Mullane could be their downfall again.

32 county titles and not one Munster, did I hear Paudie Maher correctly?

seafoid

Quote from: Premier Emperor on November 11, 2012, 11:21:09 PM

How many Tipp clubs have won the all Ireland in the last 20 years?  Is it a number ?

Onlooker

32 county titles all right, but most of them were won long before the Munster Club Championship started.   Still true that they have underperformed in Munster.  Get the feeling that this could be their year to go all the way to Croke Park on St. Patrrick's Day.  They have a seriously strong panel of players, but have still to deliver on the big day.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Onlooker on November 12, 2012, 09:35:18 AM
32 county titles all right, but most of them were won long before the Munster Club Championship started.   Still true that they have underperformed in Munster.  Get the feeling that this could be their year to go all the way to Croke Park on St. Patrrick's Day.  They have a seriously strong panel of players, but have still to deliver on the big day.

Lar scored some goal in the first half, was a bullet of a shot. They went ahead and seemed to be well on top, but managed to let the Cork lads back in and give away some easy frees I thought.

Could have went either way until the goal, fair enough high scoring game for this time of the year. De La Salle are no mugs at this level and have the experience of being there before. If truth be told Munster clubs have been dung lately in the club championship
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

INDIANA

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 12, 2012, 10:01:58 AM

Lar scored some goal in the first half, was a bullet of a shot. They went ahead and seemed to be well on top, but managed to let the Cork lads back in and give away some easy frees I thought.

Could have went either way until the goal, fair enough high scoring game for this time of the year. De La Salle are no mugs at this level and have the experience of being there before. If truth be told Munster clubs have been dung lately in the club championship

Hard to look beyond ballyhale. Oulart didn't impress me against Crokes. Which means they should win leinster relatively easily

gallsman

Quote from: INDIANA on November 12, 2012, 10:24:21 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 12, 2012, 10:01:58 AM

Hard to look beyond ballyhale. Oulart didn't impress me against Crokes. Which means they should win leinster relatively easily

Ballyhale weren't all that impressive yesterday, albeit without ever elaving second gear and Shefflin missed a couple of penalties. Loughiel won't fear anybody this year and would put it up to all remaining contenders.